1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

World Cup Tournament The World Cup of Dallas

Discussion in 'World Cup of Soaps' started by Angela Channing, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,834

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,834
    Ooo this is getting sphincter clenching now! :omg:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,532
    [​IMG]

This week's matches (week 5) are the first 2 quarter final matches. At this stage of the contest, the big guns will be up against each other in almost every match starting with both matches this week.

Match 1 is between Ray Krebbs and Ellie Ewing Farlow and Match 2 is between Jock Ewing and Sue Ellen Ewing.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

You are voting for the character you would like to win each of the two matches to go through to the semi finals.

Please post the name of your preferred winner for each match who you would like to go through to the semi finals. It adds to the interest if you give reasons for your votes but this is entirely optional and you can just post the names if you prefer.

Voting will close at midnight on Monday 19th February 2018.

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. SueEllenRules!

SueEllenRules! Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Match 1: Miss Ellie

Match 2: Sue Ellen

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,698
    Match 1: Miss Ellie

Match 2: Sue Ellen

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,834
    1. Match 1 - Miss Ellie - go Momma! Has to be!
    2. Match 2 - Sue Ellen - for reasons I don't need to explain other than I'm in love with her and think she's the most beautiful creature to walk the face of Dallas and it's most valuable female character.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +519
    Mis Ellie - Ray was a good guy and I liked him. He had an important role in Dallas. Miss Ellie was a wonderful woman and I loved her. She had a crucial role in Dallas.

Jock Ewing - He was one of only two truly heroic characters on Dallas with Miss Ellie being the other. His presence on the screen was very powerful and he brought strong leadership to Ewing Oil as well as to his family. His wife, Ellie, loved him dearly. The had somewhere around 50 years of being happily married and when he died it was absolutely devastating to her and to Jock's sons. He was a self made man which I find very inspiring and he had a reputation for his handshake meaning a deal was sacred - his handshake carried more weight than a contract. He was courageous and loyal except for an affair he had when he overseas during World War II, he never cheated on Miss Ellie. That one time he did cheat on her he admitted it to her as soon as he came back home rather than try to keep it a secret. Jock was a man who had tremendous work ethic, he was a legend in the oil business, and he was a wonderful family man. Jock Ewing was a man who truly actualized his full potential as a human being.

Sue Ellen didn't come anywhere close to actualizing her full potential as a human being. I found her philosophy which dictated that she would rather stay at Southfork to try to make JR's life miserable rather than leave jR so she could be free to hopefully marry a man who she could be happy with to be repulsive. She didn't have the courage to make it on her own; she constantly needed a man's help. I found Sue Ellen to be a weak, promiscuous lush. Obviously Jock wins this mismatch of a contest.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    Ray and Ellie were both great, but as Ellie was quite annoying in the second half of the dream season, I'll vote for Ray (and because Ellie'll win anyway).

If I was choosing between Jock and Sue Ellen solely on the basis of the original series, I'd probably go for Jock, but Sue Ellen was so brilliant in New DALLAS that she gets my vote.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Praise be and hallelujah! Thank You for Pam going through. Pheeeew! I can breathe again

This round much easier, straight forward and Clear cut

Match 1. Miss Ellie

(Sorry Ray)

Match 2. Sue Ellen

(Sorry Jock fans)

• Like Like x 5
  10. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,834
    No apology is necessary.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,532
    Match 1. Miss Ellie - Ray hits the target a few times for his role in several of great storylines including Mickey Trotter, Donna's baby and bonding with Tony. However, Ellie lands combination punches of consistently being a more interesting character, even though she loses points for her participation in the ghastly murder mystery and Pride storylines. By being involved in so many great scenes and plots that far outweigh the crud of which she was part, Ellie wins on points.

Match 2. Jock - In the words of Ellie "Jock was a great man". He was such a strong character and have such an impact on the show that even after his death, it only took his portrait to cast a massive shadow over so many subsequent events. When Sue Ellen was at her peak she was unrivalled but at her depths I was bored with her, for example during the Nicholas Pearce plot and almost everything connected with Don Lockwood. On balance, Jock wins on points.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,619
    jeez o

You make it hard @Angela Channing - I have to pick between Momma and the man who I spent 2 days with in 1983 and he got me on the Dallas set and showed me round round MGM

But it has to be

match 1 Miss Ellie (play fair tho Momma )

[​IMG]

Match 2 - Sue Ellen

• Like Like x 7
  13. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +519
    Sue Ellen was relatively good in New Dallas but I can't in good conscience truly consider that Cidre crap to be Dallas. It was Dallas in name only as far as I'm concerned. Cider took the Dallas name with the obvious purpose of prostituting it to draw attention and millions of viewers to her idea for an original story that used the actual Dallas characters as little as possible so she could devote a tremendous amount of time to her Latino family she created and telling their story as much or more than telling the story of The Ewings! I don''t even remember the name of that Latino family which was clearly her favorite part of the show since it was her own creation.There's not much specific stuff I do remember about New Dallas because frankly, it wasn't that memorable of a show. It was great seeing Larry Hagman as JR again of course and I believe he did the best he could have possibly done with the material he was given to work with. It was shocking in the first scene with him to see him in a nursing home eating jello. Cider only watched a small fraction of the original Dallas episodes and it showed. She mangled the character of Cliff so badly that he was unrecognizable. He still had the name Cliff Barnes but it wasn't the same guy. Can you imagine the real Cliff blowing up a building that his pregnant daughter was in? Not a chance.

@Angela Channing, out of curiosity, does "new Dallas" have anything to do with this World Cup game? None of the characters exclusive to New Dallas are part of it and no mention of Cynthia Cidre's bastardization of the show that many of us had grown to know and love was made so I figured this was exclusively about the original Dallas. Perhaps you could clear up this matter. Thank you !

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +519
    Aplogies - plural. Victoriafan3 apologized to Ray and Jock fans and while you're right in that technically there is no requirement to show consideration to others, it's a nice thing to do and I, for one, appreciate the kind gesture.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,532
    Personally, I don't consider TNT Dallas to be Dallas but a completely different show with some of the same characters and the same name. I therefore didn't take TNT Dallas into consideration when I decide my votes because in my opinion TNT Dallas devalued every character that appeared in the original series. That said, although I broadly agree with you, I accept others feel differently about "Cynthia Cidre's bastardization of the show" so I left it up to individuals to decide what they base their votes on and that can include TNT Dallas.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    Ramos. Loved those guys. Well, I wasn't crazy about Mama to begin with, but she won me round in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,532
    Well @Barbara Fan , the way I see it is that you spent time with Steve Kanaly and not Ray. This game is about the Dallas characters and not the actors, so you can vote for Ellie without feeling any disloyalty towards Steve. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Match 1 - Miss Ellie.
    Match 2 - Sue Ellen, with a heavy heart. Jock was a pillar of the family but Sue Ellen and her travails was a mainstay of the show.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,810
    Match 1: Miss Ellie. The matriarch of the Ewing family. Ray just didn't cut it for me like Miss Ellie did.

Match 2: Sue Ellen. With the greatest respect to Jock I had to vote for the lady that has shown all aspects of human weaknesses and strengths.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,619
    :bravo1:
    Amen, and so say all of us!
    what was it JR once said - its like a bad dream that doesnt know when to go away!!
    Fortunately its been erased from my memory and I recall very little about it apart from the shaving scene.

• Like Like x 2