1. Show your support for FALCON CREST in the battle of the soaps

The Character's Exit

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

The World Cup of Falcon Crest Cliffhangers

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Angela Channing, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    Original Member Since:
    [​IMG]

This game will start on Monday 6th November and have the same format as the previous world cup which focussed on Falcon Crest characters.

The cliffhangers that ended each of the 9 seasons of Falcon Crest will compete against each other in a knock out tournament until one is declared the winner.

The matches will be selected at random and we will vote for the winner of each match until one cliffhanger is left and will be declared the winner.

If you didn't participate in the previous contest, full details of how this game works can be found in the first post of this thread:

http://www.soapchat.net/threads/the-world-cup-of-falcon-crest.3216/

• Winner Winner x 6
  2. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    Original Member Since:
    Here's a summary of each of the end of season cliffhangers as a reminder to help you decide on your votes:

Season 1 (Episode Title – Ultimate Answers)
    After the inquest into Jason’s death is over, Chase and Angela agree to split Falcon Crest 50-50 even though the terms of Angela’s father’s will meant Chase should inherit everything. After Chase leaves, Angela tells Philip “He think he’s won” and they both smile.

[​IMG]

Season 2 (Episode Title – Climax)
    Mr Fong identifies Julia as Carlos Agretti’s killer. She confesses and ends by telling Chase “I’ve saved one more surprise just for you”, she takes a gun out of her handbag, there’s a struggle and we hear 3 shots being fired. We next see a coffin being lowered into a grave.

[​IMG]

Season 3 (Episode Title – Ashes To Ashes)
    Chase flies Richard’s plane to take everybody to Italy to scatter Julia’s ashes. The plane has been sabotaged and it loses altitude rapidly. Angela closes her eyes and holds her hands together in prayer.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    Original Member Since:
    Season 4 (Episode Title – The Avenging Angel)
    Cassandra and her mother Anna Rossini confront Angela and tell her they have control of two-thirds of Falcon Crest and they are going to make her suffer. Maggie catches Chase and Connie embracing and angrily tells him she wants nothing more to do with him before storming out. She goes to Richard’s house and they end up kissing. A bomb planted by the Cartel explodes in the house.

[​IMG]

Season 5 (Episode Title – The Cataclysm)
    Chase goes for life-saving surgery after he was shot by Jeff. An earthquake devastates Falcon Crest and we see many of the cast lying on the ground covered with rubble. Peter Stavros can’t find Angela and he looks through the rubble calling her name.

[​IMG]

Season 6 (Episode Title – Desperation)
    Emma is on the roof of Falcon Crest to jump off. Chao-Li fails to get her down and runs to get help but collapses and tumbles down the stairs. Angela reads a letter from Peter in which he reveals that her baby that she thought had died shortly after being born is in fact alive and is Richard Channing. Melissa tries to escape by car with her baby and is chased by Dan Chase and Maggie. Dan jumps into Melissa’s car and is knocked unconscious. Melissa’s car plunges into San Francisco Bay and Chase and Richard dive in to rescue the passengers. Chase emerges from the water with Joseph, who he hands to Maggie, before going back in to find the others. His fate, and that of Melissa, Dan and Richard, is unknown.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    Original Member Since:
    Season 7 (Episode Title – The Last Dance)
    The Thirteen make Eric shoot Richard. Angela loses Falcon Crest to Melissa but vows “I’ll be back” before leaving. Maggie tells her boys a story of “The Two Daddies” called Richard and Chase. Angela meets a mystery figure in church and asks him “When are you going to tell Maggie you’re still alive?”

[​IMG]

Season 8 (Episode Title - Decline and Fall)
    Kelly and Tommy argue while in a row boat on the river. The boat capsizes and they both fall in. Kelly says she can’t swim and Tommy appears to hesitate for a bit before going to her rescue. She goes under before he reaches her and he dives underwater to save her. Meanwhile, Maggie arrives at Richard’s house to take their children away because she doesn’t want them to see when the police take him into custody. The boys wave and say “Goodbye Daddy” as Maggie drives the car away. Richard watches them go with a look of angst on his face.

[​IMG]

Season 9 (Episode Title - Home Again)

Richard and Lauren get married and after the ceremony Angela walks outside and in voiceover she recalls all the people who passed through Tuscany Valley during the last decade. She end by saying "A toast to you Falcon Crest and long may you live."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    Original Member Since:
    [​IMG]

As there were 9 seasons of Falcon Crest there will need to be a qualifying round to have 8 seasons in the quarter finals.

Seven seasons have automatically qualified for the quarter finals and the remaining 2 will have to compete in a preliminary round for the final place. The seasons drawn to take part in Round 1 (Qualification) are seasons 4 and season 3.

[​IMG]

You are voting for your favourite cliffhanger between that of season 4 and 3 to go through to the next round. It's up to you whether or not you want to give reasons for you vote.

The season 4 cliffhanger was the bomb blowing up Richard's house while he and Maggie kiss for the first time and the season 3 cliffhanger was the plane carrying most of the cast going to crash.

The match will end at midnight on Monday 13th November (UK time).

• Winner Winner x 6
  6. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    Original Member Since:
    Season 4 really had 3 cliffhangers: (1) Cassandra and her mother letting Angela know they control two-thirds of Falcon Crest and are going to use it to make her life a misery (2) Maggie walking in on Chase and Connie embracing, she tells him their marriage is over and ends up in the arms of Richard kissing him (3) The Cartel blowing up Richard's house with him and Maggie in it.

Whether taken individually or taken together, I don't think the season 4 cliffhangers came close to matching the drama and suspense of the plane crash of season 3 in which almost all of the main characters could have died. Therefore my choice is:

Season 3 to win.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Willie Oleson
    Cheerful

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,804
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    Season 3 also gets my vote.
    Nice work with the images, Angela Channing.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Ome
    Fine

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,072
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    Season 3 get my vote too

• Like Like x 5
  9. Julia's Gun

Julia's Gun Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Original Member Since:
    Oct 2011
    I'm sure everyone will go for S3, so I am going for Season 4. I think its underrated. I loved Richard & Maggie having a close-up snog, then the eerie music, gloved hand and clock ticking, and then that huge explosion. Shame its all over so quick though.

I thought the plane crash was a bit of an anti-climax actually, since we don't see any explosion or the crash itself. And the aftermath was a bit disappointing as we only see the survivors step off a helicopter after they are rescued.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +196
    The fourth season explosion ending gets my vote.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Willie Oleson
    Cheerful

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,804
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    I loved all that technical plane talk - "orange delta tango mayday mayday"
    "we're going down"

I remember feeling so worried that any of my favourite characters would die.
    We had already lost Jacqueline and Julia, and now this!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +240
    One more for the planecrash.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +565
    Original Member Since:
    18th November 2000
    The aftermath of the 3rd season cliff-hanger was more in keeping of what you would expect the consequences to be. The old plane film footage added some authenticity. In contrast the conclusion to the fourth season was shocking but not entirely unexpected. Being blown to bits or so you would think is as malevolent as you can get.

However from the character’s point of view it wasn’t as catastrophic, as the plane plummeting from the night sky. Therefore I will opt for the 1984 plane crash (season 3).

Chase is piloting Richard’s private jet to Italy. The occupants are going to scatter Julia’s presumed ashes, in the Tuscany Valley over there. Everybody is on board except Cole, Melissa, Pamela and Chao-Li, (a scene from season 3, 1983 – ’84):

Chase says to his co-pilot Jack: “We’ve been sabotaged.”

He continues: “Mayday Denver, mayday. We’ve lost our hydraulics and both engines.”

They try increasing the trust.

Chase: “Hell Denver we’re going down!”

In the night sky the jet is plummeting like a stone.

The passengers are at their wits end. Angela closes her eyes and starts praying.

Freeze frame, fade to black, the closing credits and the theme tune.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    Original Member Since:
    Which cliffhanger do you want to progress to the quarter finals, season 3 or season 4? Today is your last chance to vote: the poll closes at midnight UK time.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. RobbieE

RobbieE Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Original Member Since:
    LOL

16. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    Original Member Since:
    The poll is now closed and your votes have been counted and verified.

Seven of us voted for our favourite season finale from either season 3 or season 4. The totals were as follows:

Season Three - 5 votes
    Season Four - 2 votes

The season 3 cliffhanger, the plane crash, therefore progresses to the next round.

[​IMG]

Thank you too all who voted in this round.

Details of the first 2 quarter final matches will be posted later today.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    Original Member Since:
    [​IMG]

The draw for the quarter finals has now taken place and the next matches will be as follows:

Match 2: Season 5 finale (an earthquake devastates Falcon Crest) vs season 2 finale (Julia is revealed as Carlo's killer and shoots someone else dead but who it is?).

[​IMG]

Match 3: Season 1 finale (Chase and Angela agree to split Falcon Crest 50-50) vs season 6 finale (Emma is going to jump off the roof, Chao-Li collapses, Angela discovers Richard is her son and Melissa drives her car into the bay).

[​IMG]

You are voting for the end of season cliffhanger you would like to go through to the semi-finals for each of the 2 matches.

The vote will end at midnight on Monday 20th November (UK time).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  18. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    Original Member Since:
    Reminder of the cliffhangers in this week's matches:

Match 2: Season 5 vs Season 2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Match 3: Season 1 vs Season 6

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 6
  19. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    Original Member Since:
    My thoughts:
    Although the season 5 earthquake left many of the of characters in jeopardy it didn't match the suspense of who did Julia kill at the end of season 2.

The season 1 cliffhanger set up conflict between Chase and Angela that would be a running theme through subsequent seasons and I loved how Angela was remained combative even though she lost half of Falcon Crest. However, the multiple cliffhangers of season 6 were amazing. I particularly liked how Richard was revealed as being Angela son, one of the great twists in all of the 80s prime time soaps. Using the clip from Jane Wyman's film The Blue Veil gave the shock revelation an authenticity that it wouldn't otherwise have had. This scene would have been better as the last one of that season as I think it was more dramatic than Melissa's car going into the bay. Overall, the end of season 6 wins for me.

My votes:
    Match 2: Season 2 (Julia shoots someone dead)
    Match 3: Season 6 (Melissa drives into the bay)

• Like Like x 5
  20. Willie Oleson
    Cheerful

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,804
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    Season 5 vs. Season 2: I like everything about season 2's cliffhanger.
    The earthquake was a great idea, but it just didn't look very good. My favourite part was the irony, that Jeff Wainwright managed to escape because of the disaster.
    Also, the water (wine) level in the winery wasn't so high that it looked as if someone could easily drown in it. Unless something hits them on the head , causes them to be unconscious and because of that, he/she falls into the wine face downed and drowns. But that's still too much assumption.

Also, since it was unlikely that Angela would be written out, I would have ended that scene with Angela, screaming "Peter!" and "Julia!"
    Because it was possible that one of them would die, thus creating more supsense regarding the question "who's the victim?"
    Personally, I would have preferred the earthquake at the end of season 4, when Chase and Maggie's marriage starts to fall apart. I find it more fitting because it was an earth-shattering storyline.
    And it didn't make sense that Maggie and Richard survived the explosion because they were standing in the middle of it. I mean, come on, how much does it take?

Therefore:
    Match 2: Season 2

Season 1 vs. Season 6: Apart from Emma's testimony and Richard Channing's off-screen introduction (kinda like Alexis-not-played-by-Joan-Collins) it didn't look very cliffhanger-ish.
    Angela didn't seem extremely devastated when Chase could claim his part of Falcon Crest, and there was no doubt she was going to continue the fight.
    The fact that Chase forgave Emma was the best part of it, but that was a conclusion instead of a cliffhanger.

The scenes with Emma and Chao-Li looked terribly hokey, it was obvious that they crammed all the misery they could think of in that season finale - and the fake rooftop was too fake.
    Chase & Richard under water was very thrilling (and I still think Richard killed Chase right there and then) and then it ended with Susan Sullivan doing another head spin (should have been her new opening credit in season 7).
    Not a fan of Peter's letter, although it was a great way for him to leave the show. "I love you. p.s. Richard is your son. Bye!"

So, season 1's finale looked good, but not very exciting. Season 6's finale looked exciting, but not very good (except for Melissa's bridge crash).

Therefore:
    Match 3: Season 1

• Like Like x 7