This is Us

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by JROG, Sep 21, 2016.

1. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,822
    Medals:
    The show keeps getting better and better. Just truly marvelous stuff all around. Brown is getting all the Emmys. Totally did not expect Kevin to go through with going to New York. I'm glad Toby made it clear he doesn't usually make all these grand gestures for people he's been on a few dates with. And I really need to know what happened to Jack. Whether he's dead or not, it'll be devastating.

By the way, the show's third episode had a ratings surge, even improving on THE VOICE's rating (which is unheard of). God, I hope it keeps going.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,076
    3 episodes in and it feels like TV Gold in the making and not until I just read your quote that I started to panic - Please don't let this show slip, it really does get better each episode and I feel like I've been following these characters for more than just a few weeks.

3. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Medals:
    I enjoyed the first two episodes. I do wonder if it will be a bit too sweet for me, but as long as there's conflict then I'll be interested to see where it goes.

4. That Bowie Girl

That Bowie Girl Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Space Cadet
    Ratings:
    +4,000
    I am not going to read any of the posts in here.....I have them all on my DVR waiting to binge watch it.
    I have been doing that more and more lately....then I don't have to wait out when they skip and episode and I can watch it when I want.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,076
    Gosh, this show continues to tug at my heart strings. It somehow manages to open so many childhood memories of my own, like I'm part of the show itself. I find myself connected to most of the characters and their everyday outlook on life.

"What is we're all in the painting everywhere....?"

"What if we're all in the painting before we're born
    what if we're in it after we die?"

6. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,076
    Did you stick with it? Episode 5 really strengthens the story, more than I thought possible.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Medals:
    That's good to hear. Yes, I watched Episode 3 this week. Still enjoying it, and still intrigued to see where its heading.

• Like Like x 2
  8. montyc

montyc Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +74
    The pilot was entertaining and the reveal is something I didn't figure out, a big plus. But overall I thought it was steeped in cliches and one note characters. I love hearing that it gets better and will have to catch up!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,076
    Yeah, this can be seen over the course of the episodes so far, but I find the characters so endearing that it kinda slips away into the background.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Medals:
    I'm really into it now, really enjoying it. Even if I think it's getting too sweet, there'll be something to bring it back like Randall discovering that Mandy Moore has been in contact with his real father since he was a child. It'll be interesting to see if it can sustain a full season network run.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,076
    I'm totally loving this show, but it's a strange one because as much as I love it, there's not a lot to discuss. It just happens and it can be quite moving in places. I also find it a change from the usual shock/twist/explosion and fast pacing we get with so many shows today.

I wonder what happened to @JROG with this one.

• Like Like x 2
  12. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,822
    Medals:
    I'm still watching! Just a few episodes behind, though, and need to catch up. It is always excellent.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,919
    Medals:
    I'm really enjoying this series: telling the story in both the past and present reminds me a bit of Lost but love how they use it to introduce shock twists to the plot. Last week's Thanksgiving episode was one of the best yet. Tuesday's episode wasn't quite as strong but still way better than most things on TV at the moment. Sadly, I can't discuss the storylines in more detail yet as I know others may not yet have seen all the episodes but hopefully we can at some point in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Maryann

Maryann Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +594
    I love, love this show it just keeps getting better . As I am watching I am also wondering and guessing as to how the father died.

15. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,919
    Medals:
    Now we've had the Christmas episode I understand the show is now on a break until the new year. Even ending on music by the brilliant Sufjan Stevens doesn't compensate for having to wait for over a month to find out what happens.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,076
    This is great news. I always thought it was going to be 10 episodes and now I read episode 11 is due on January 10th. I was expecting to wait until Sept for another episode.

17. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +4,949
    Medals:
    The show premiaired in Sweden yesterday, with episodes 1 and 2.
    I think I got hooked right away. Triplets are always interesting to me. Lots of babies at ones. Then the stories were good too, and the actors and the script. I like all characters and all stories, which isn't happening often. I don't Game of Thrones love it (yet?), but I will absolutely continue watching. Happily surprised.

I think Toby is my favorite so far. He is terrific with Kate.

The ending of both episodes so far have been real surprises that were difficult to see coming. I love it when that happens!!

18. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,919
    Medals:
    This week's episode was probably the weakest one so far. They changed the format to everything happening in the past instead of flipping between the past and the present and covered ground that has mostly already been shown to us before. It felt a bit like scenes that could have been used in the first 2 episodes but they couldn't fit them in so they made them into a new episode with some extra footage.

19. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,919
    Medals:
    Since This Is Us came back after the Christmas break I've kind of gone off it a bit. At first I like the way they told the story simultaneously in the past and present and something happening in one time period would provide a twist to something that happened in the other. However, now that gimmick has been done, it's just a run of the mill schmaltzy US drama series that has overdosed on saccharine. Yesterday episode was really dull until the end when they finally started to focus a little more on the relationship between Kevin and Randall which I find more interesting than Randall's the dying father, their mother's music career and Kate's relationship with Toby.

There are only 3 more episodes so I'm going to stick with it until the end of the season but unless it picks up, I won't be watching season 2.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,076
    I haven't seen any of the new episodes yet. Sometimes when a show takes a break, I find I struggle to tune in again. I still plan on catching up, but I'm not currently in the mood for the show right now.