This version of Dynasty is better than the first

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by arnaud, Mar 22, 2018.

1. arnaud

arnaud Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi everybody. I live in France and I followed the new Dynasty from the beginning. I find this version much more funny and less boring than the first one. The characters have more facets than in the original especially Cristal and that's what makes it stand out.
    Fallon does a lot but it is more touching over time. Steven is not so sensitive but he is able to cheat unlike the first. Joseph is less taciturn and more affectionate.
    Colbys are much more attractive this time.
    I say: Long live Dynasty !!

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,692
    YEEES! I love this version of Dynasty! f*** the haters.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,678
    Every TV show today is more competently executed than the neurotically-conflicted DYNASTY of the '80s. That's to be expected and it's not saying much. So of course the new DYNASTY makes more out of its potential -- it's just that it's potential is much lesser than the old one's.

What's a fan to do?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Ked

Ked Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,133
    You got two options:

1) Absolutely nothing.
    or
    2) Write, produce and direct your own version of Dynasty (and if you did, I'd watch it :D).

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,894
    Yes, it's the kind of junkfood-soap that makes it very watchable, but also very forgettable.
    There's not one single moment that lingers or that makes me, as a viewer, feeling involved. The writers and actors need to have the capacity to stimulate me, mesmerize me - but maybe that's an old-fashioned way of watching television.

It doesn't watch like episode stories, but more like an endless montage of badly written and badly edited but also effective snippets. But maybe it's this kind of distilled trailer-style TV that appeals to today's audience?

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,678
    There's a third: wait for @Richard Channing 's prequel trailers for DYNASTY '69 -- it's the best of everything! ... even if it's only in 3 minute sequences.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  7. Ked

Ked Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,133
    Yes, there's also that. X)

8. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,678
    There's only that!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Ked

Ked Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,133
    You could also make screencaps of the original show and make a comic version of the show you wanted to see. Y'know, if you ever got *really* desperate. :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I wan't say that the show overall is better but there are several ways in which it is better than the original:
    • The sets: the Carrington mansion feels like an actual house, we don't have the same three sets being used for multiple rooms (or if that is the case, they are doing a damn good job of it).
    • Lighting: excluding the 80's party, the show is much better lit than the original. Light appears to have an actual source whether it be sunlight streaming through the french doors or table lamps. Much of original "Dynasty" was lit like a discount department store.
    • Location shooting: we're seeing Atlanta (or a reasonable facsimile) and various locations that don't appear to be sets (or, again, the set designers are doing a very good job). It was glaringly obvious that original "Dynasty" was shot on a soundstage and on locations around Los Angeles - not Denver.
    • Humor: sure, some of it seems forced at times (thank goodness Fallon doesn't seem to be channeling Irene Dunne in the more recent episodes). Humor is something original "Dynasty" sorely lacked (seasons one and nine being noteworthy exceptions).
    • Politics: why did the original series pussyfoot around so much? This time it's obvious that Blake is a Republican and Cristal and Steven are Democrats.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,894
    I'm not sure what kind of humour you're referring to.
    There are many versions of humour, and creating funny situations with the intent to make the audience laugh is not what I want to see in soaps.
    It's not that I never giggle or laugh when I watch soaps, I do, but it's usually because of something I see rather than something that is being shown.
    A facial expression, the way the actor delivers a line (even if it is a mega-dramatic scene) and all sorts of nondescript yet very recognizable manners and reactions.

Then there's fabulous "camp" which is very hard to create, Alexis and Sable had quite a few fabulous camp encounters in season 9, but the physical fight in the Carlton was a bit too much for my taste. But at least it wasn't as bad as the catfight from the Reunion movie.

I would have loved to see some of the original Dynasty actors laughing out loud for once, and I mean really laughing out loud. It's a strong but perfectly normal reaction, like crying, and it can make a character appear very likeable or at least more human. But even that doesn't have to be a funny scene.

I must say I'm beginning to appreciate NuFallon's character more and more, maybe because she does it so consistently and it's possible that the actress has mastered her performance.
    In those first episodes it seemed terribly hokey, but not anymore. She's a no holds barred bitch in fabulous high heels, but you can see that it's partially an act, a defence.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,634
    I'm not even really going to get into this. I don't have the energy. I will say this though... So far I much prefer the original show. The cast, the writing, the sets and the wardrobe. There is a certain flavour, a feeling that this show just doesn't seem to be able to capture. I don't think they are even trying to though. I don't think they even know what it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,692
    Nicolette slays Joan Collins' portrayal of Alexis.

xoxo

4-ever urs
    Tommie

[​IMG]

14. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,634
    Awweeee..... You're so cute. :l1:

15. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Sammy Jo in the original series was a breath of fresh air.. her first scene with Joseph she was asking if they could deliver a pizza... and her dancing at the black tie affair was well done. She had comedic moments in season 2, but oddly... she had an edge and had more purpose in the show. Hence why she was bought back after her original arc was over.

And Fallon in the original series (PSM's version) had the regal daddy's girl persona.. but she had more layers to her performance especially in the first 2 seasons of the show when the writing supported what she was trying to do with the character. My late mom said she could never hate her Fallon because she was previously Nancy Drew (a total 180 from Fallon LOL). I don't think she would particularly like this current Fallon.. who seems all one liners with little substance (and I don't blame the actress because she does have expressions in her face that shows a soft side she's trying to keep hidden.. but the script and direction counteract her attempts at infusing her character with emotional depth).

• Like Like x 2
  16. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,692
    @TJames03 agrees with me!!!! Nicollexis wins!

17. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,634
    I love you babe.

18. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,723
    [​IMG]