This version of Dynasty is better than the first

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by arnaud, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,484
    Avoiding hard threads leads to hard bunions (old Chinese takeout proverb)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +401

The only kudos I give this is that I'd love for someone to do this to NS in real-life!

(Paging Teri Hatcher....).....

I'm sure NS's hair is as fake as Alexis' is!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,659
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Majorfanofshow

Majorfanofshow Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I really hated Fallon so much. And the actress is so loud! Why is she talking so loud to me? She’s so strident. But Liam and Fallon are good. The actress works well with the Liam actor but too much Fallon early on!

Sorry but Jeff and Michael are so boring. I hate Jeff and Michael. I only like Jeff’s sister.

5. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,445
    I am confused. I watched a few clips online since I'm curious about NS portrayal of Alexis. Anyway in one of them she said something about Fallon and Liam being married. Is that true?

I thought Fallon was supposed to be married to Jeff. So what happened to Fallon & Jeff?

6. RottenSkipper17

RottenSkipper17 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +117
    @Karin Schill Fallon found out that Jeff was planning to steal her father's company and basically ruin her family by marrying her as revenge for Blake putting his dad in prison and driving his mother to madness so she decided to arrange a fake marriage with a complete stranger (Liam) to avoid having to go through with the wedding. After the ceremony, Fallon revealed that Liam was actually her legal husband, making her marriage to Jeff null and void. She also got 25% of Colby Co and solo ownership of Morell Corp and if she and Jeff had gotten married Jeff would've gotten complete control of Carrington Atlantic.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,445
    @RottenSkipper17 thank you so much for clarifying that for me. Seems like this new Dynasty is taking a lot of liberties and is quite different from the original show.

8. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,445
    Thanks. The new show is definitely better looking visually. Yet it takes more than great cinematography to make a good TV-series. The writing (plots & pacing) and acting are IMHO central to make it work.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,965
    O.Dynasty created a sense of place and an understanding of the family and company (and how important they were/it was), unfortunately they didn't make an effort to maintain those conditions.
    Despite Fallon's introduction of C-A, NuDynasty has no sense of place & company at all, perhaps they should have picked a different kind of industry to make their show more personal and iconic, or something that would give me an idea why they live there.
    But then again, it's a remake, it's not trying to be a new soap so maybe there's no reason to convince us. And there's also no competition at the moment.

I think great cinematography is to be expected from a 2018 TV production. O.Dynasty looked pretty lavish too (whenever they felt like it).
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,659
    One area where the new series can easily beat the original and where those 2018 production values kick in is the use of close-up shots of food and drinks. I recall this being one of the common criticisms of the original series on its respective board - how we never actually get to see up close any of those supposed delicacies of Mrs. Gunnerson's.

[​IMG]

Speaking of drinks, I often see actors playing rich, supposedly sophisticated, characters who don't know how to properly hold a wine glass. Kudos to whoever instructed Sam & Steven to hold theirs in the exact respective ways in the shot below (in case they didn't do so on their own).

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I’d like to know how the budget of NuDynasty compares to Original Dynasty in comparative terms taking into account inflation.

Somehow NuDynasty despite more location filming somehow looks cheaper than Dynasty at least from seasons 1 to 6. Maybe original Dynasty has the more classic look which is why it still holds up today.

12. AZLiam

AZLiam Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Budget aside, I believe there are other factors that contribute to the cheaper feel of this Dynasty. The dialogue doesn't seem as refined, nor as witty. It also doesn't feel as natural and seems a little forced and rushed. The scenes seem to be patched together at break-neck speed just like the dialogue as if every character is completely prepared for a comeback line without any thought (Fallon, please take a breath) - that just doesn't happen in the real world. The beautiful, musical scores interspersed throughout scenes in the original does not exist in this version to help set the tone of each scene and provide build-up to subsequent scenes. I feel as though the show just needs to slow it down a tad and focus more on character development because as it stands right now, there aren't many characters to root for whether you root for protagonists or antagonists.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,965
    I think it's the difference between ordinary wealth and the mystique and grandeur of the "Old World".
    The same has happened to the royal families who used to be so "out of reach" and unapproachable. The whole concept of dynasties and stardom has changed, but that's not NuDynasty's fault.
    I don't disagree with that, but maybe the character-based soap is a luxury they can't afford. Renewed for a second season, probably by the skin of its teeth, everything has to be effective from the first till the last minute.
    I have resented it for a while, and even stopped watching the episodes, but it doesn't bother me anymore. It is what it is and I just want to know what happens next.
    A few days ago I watched an interview with Elizabeth Gillies and she really talks like that, she's unstoppable! (and she looked prettier in that video than on Dynasty and now I constantly want to fix her hair).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dw725

Dw725 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +27
    They are making this for today. A lot of people speak fast and quick today. A lot of people say without thinking. In normal culture, it's different people might sit for a second and gather their thoughts, but with social media and all the clapbacks, it's fast paced entertainment now. Have you seen a Housewives Reunion?

15. AZLiam

AZLiam Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I would prefer to see scenes like this at least once in a great while:

• Like Like x 1
  16. xab

xab Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I don't get the point. I can't see where they are going. Characters come and go, written in one week, written off three weeks later... Monique, Claudia, Cesil etc. ? And now Liam. Plots pop out and vanish into thin air like farts... It's like they've been experimenting formulas for 6 months but never found the succesful one.
    I can't help watching all this like an extended pilot of 20 hours... Everything is uncertain, nothing is clear. There is no direction obviously. I do feel I'm watching some sort of improvisation. A car driven by a blind driver. Like olddynasty'season 7... When the show was struggling to survive despite the flatline sound from the monitor...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,965
    They have some great storylines going on right now, and they better not f*ck it up!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,659
    I've noticed they've been using these long perspective shots (or whatever you would call them) and unusual POV angles increasingly in recent weeks, which I think enhances the sets beautifully. I imagine that wasn't so easy with the cameras they had back in the 80s. Blake & Cristal's master bedroom looks at least twice as big as the one in the original series. And yet, it's a TV set, not an actual house.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,965
    I like the staircase and painted wall in Tom's mansion.

• Agree Agree x 1