Thomson vs. Spelling

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Gabriel Maxwell, May 7, 2017.

1. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,318
    I found this early 90s article on the Denver-Carrington Twitter page: https://twitter.com/DynastyTVShow

As you may know, Gordon Thomson filed a lawsuit against Spelling Productions for not being included in that dreadful Reunion (which, in turn, made the miniseries that replaced Thomson with the late Robin Sachs even more dreadful). This article sheds a little more light on what went on in the spring of 1991 from Thomson's perspective:

- Thomson agreed to appear in The Reunion in February 1991
    - Spelling was supposed to contact Santa Barbara producers (where Thomson was a series regular) in a timely fashion to agree on the filming schedule
    - Thomson's reps kept calling Spelling 2-3 per week from late April till early June 1991
    - Spelling finally contacted Santa Barbara producers on June 7, five days prior to Dynasty Reunion production began
    - Santa Barbara producers declined to release Thomson as it was too late of a notice
    - Thomson received private support from Emma Samms and John James
    - Thomson discussed his lawsuit with John James and other friends prior to filing it
    - Thomson filed the lawsuit in early October 1991, days before The Reunion premiered on ABC
    - Thomson came to terms with the idea he would never work for Spelling again

Here's the article. Does anyone know how this ended? Did Spelling settle?

If all this is true, and I believe it is, it shows gross incompetence and arrogance on the part of Spelling, reminiscent of the Oxenberg-Cellini fiasco, not realizing how crucial using a well-cast original actor is, thus further butchering the project with an already lackluster script.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,635
    I think Spelling must have settled out of court as Thomson later did work with Spelling again in 1997? Or maybe 1998 on Sunset Beach when he played AJ Deschanel for a few years.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,318
    That's right. And he also took part in this late 90s Aaron Spelling tribute.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,678
    As I'd understood it at the time, Thomson had a clause in his daytime soap contract that he could be released to do any DYNASTY reunion which came up. And yet the DYNASTY brass didn't bother coordinating it in time for Gordon to do it. And if his agent kept calling three times a week for several weeks, then no wonder he sued.

Before the reunion even happened, I'd seen Gordon discussing that "reunion clause" and how he'd be free to do it if such a reunion occurred. So to see him left out of it, and then to later hear he sued, it was just another example of the malicious disorganization which quickly returned to DYNASTY upon Paulsen's exit at the end of Season 9.

Even then, it felt to me like they wanted to recast him, Adam, the only up-until-then un-recast grown Carrington child, as if they wanted to see if they could do it, or just to communicate what I always saw as their contempt for the actors -- especially for the ones they felt they didn't absolutely need. And to later hear and read Gordon's account of what happened, it's still how it hit me.

And he's likely right that Spelling himself was probably not directly behind the recasting, but yet he let it happen. As did the Shapiros.

And no hard feelings? A few years ago, during an interview, Esther kept going on about how "flamboyant" Gordon was the last time they ran into him someplace. I mean, she kept using that word.

So, yuck, bitch.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. NickLundy0911

NickLundy0911 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Wait a minute. I remember Thompson appeared in an episode of Beverly Hills 90210 in I believe the 1997-98 season. But this lawsuit was very surprising but in retrospect Thompson should count his blessings cause from what I've seen and heard, the reunion was awful. Though, it would've been nice to see him reunite with Kathleen Beller.

• Like Like x 3
  6. NickLundy0911

NickLundy0911 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Wait a minute. I remember Thompson appeared in an episode of Beverly Hills 90210 in I believe the 1997-98 season. But this lawsuit was very surprising but in retrospect Thompson should count his blessings cause from what I've seen and heard, the reunion was awful. Though, it would've been nice to see him reunite with Kathleen Beller.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,635
    Did she say that? I remember when I saw a recent-ish interview with Gordon for the online soap Devanity I think it was. Anyway the interview was on this site and he seemed like such a lovely man. I wouldn't have used flamboyant to describe him at all. I think I had a little old man crush on him.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,377
    Gordon Thomson had a lucky escape, but it still would've been nice if he were in the reunion, I wonder why Jack Coleman wasn't in the reunion l? Was it for similar issues as GT's? Or maybe he saw the script and realised it was trash.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,635
    I think he may have been committed to something else?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,635
    The Steven Carrington Institute for the Treatment and Study of Faggotry. Yes he was committed to that.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,678
    Thomson appears to cleverly praised how lovely Spelling was and stating that the mix-up wasn't Aaron's fault, while simultaneously suing his company.

Probably helped soften the blow with the boss man.

I guess the Old Cow was just outing him vindictively.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Yes. Gordon said that he sued in one of those behind the scenes Dynasty programmes and Aaron hated it. They settled out of court.

Listen to this new Terri Garber interview when she speaks of Spelling starting at 1 hr 47 minutes. It seems that if you weren't John, Joan or Linda, everyone was dispensable:

• Like Like x 7
  13. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,983
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    So she might have been on "Dallas" instead "Dysentry"!! It would have been Season 9 I guess...No wonderful characters then though...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,635
    She really would have been much better on Dallas. It seems a no brainer she should have been more like her North and South character on Dynasty. Though as usual mental insecurity kept that from happening until it was too late and then it seemed reaching and desperate after a year of her being wishy washy nice girl.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,678
    Listening to the interview that Tony posted is interesting, and kind of what one expected. So many interviews over the years from the DYNASTY cast convey a thinly-veiled disappointment and even sadness -- and sometimes not so veiled -- about what happened to the show and what they were having to deal with, including politically. Even from the leads, you get the sense there was a brief comradery early on, and as DYNASTY grew in popularity, the pressures increased and the dynamic changed, and it always sounds like the actors were kind of left on their own to navigate the bad scripts and production issues over which they had no control (and, of course, were seen as disposable at the drop of a hat, although that's pretty normal for TV).

But that uncomfortable vibe is so apparent during much of DYNASTY; it even reads on camera... Something is just "wrong".

One can see Garber on DALLAS, even though it had developed its own problems. And while Season 9 of DYNASTY was so much better than what preceded it (which she may recognize, as the writing for Season 9 of DYNASTY, as well as most of DALLAS, was obviously better) it would seem hard to fit her into S9. And on DALLAS, she would have been part of that Michelle Stevens era of bimbos buying up Ewing Oil with their pocket change (which was far from compelling, let alone believable).

I wonder which part DALLAS had her in mind for...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  16. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +763
    He did a show on NBC called Nightmare Cafe during the same season that the reunion aired, so I'm guessing he was tied up with the filming of that when the reunion was shooting.

This has been a really interesting thread. I knew that Gordon had sued Aaron. He mentioned it briefly in one of the retrospective shows (possibly True Hollywood Story) but I could never understand what his grounds were. Reading this, I now realise that he was messed about by them.

It's interesting to hear in Terri's interview that Spelling wouldn't touch her for any of his other productions after she jumped ship. Yet, Gordon can sue him and Shannen Doherty can run amok on 90210 and he'll work with both of them again. I'm wondering does she have any reason to think this, as in, did she try and audition for some of his 90's fare to no avail? Or was this just the general feeling that she got when she left?

• Like Like x 4
  17. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,318
    Very interesting. I wonder who she had in mind when she said she was annoyed waiting for someone to show up on the set for 2 hours. It would've been someone she was most often in scenes with.

Wasn't Collins professional about being on the set on time even after she became the biggest star of the show? Perhaps it was James Healey, whom Collins herself hated with a passion.

Garber certainly came to Dynasty at the worst possible time: in the middle of season 7, staying till the end of season 8 - the very nadir of the entire series.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,377
    I myself have always felt that Terri Garber was better suited to Dallas or Falcon Crest, she seemed to have been on loan to Spelling Productions from Lorimar.

Terri Garber is a good actress and like Leann Hunley, they both arrived on the show at the worst possible time, where they were utilised, they hadn't been used to the static acting directive like the other cast members had been for several years at that point, they seemed to want to break out of the stifling way of acting and it shows in their performances.

If Garber had been approached to join Dallas in 1986 then that would predate the Invasion of Bimbos by several seasons, so its possible she may have been considered for the role of April Stevens, which actually would've worked.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,983
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I also thought that, but April was created with Ms. Wilson in mind by Mr. Katzman, who had cast her in his previous show as a similar character. So maybe Terri might have been cast as one of the Season 10 ladies, who knows, maybe the Plant Lady (how Twin Peaks!) or the PsyConnie!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,635
    Someone else, maybe Kate O'Mara mentioned somewhere that Joan was late to set once during her dealings with the Swede. Wasn't Caress on DYNASTY at the same time as Leslie? I think Joan might have been difficult to work with at that time. Terri says that it wasn't fun doing all her scenes with Collins.

I have the dates all mixed up and wrong in my head but I think Joan wanted to leave DYNASTY in season 7? And then decided to stay.

• Like Like x 4