Those Fabulous Miniseries

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Alexis, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,883
    Bringing back this old thread as I plan on watching Hollywood Wives this evening and I also just found the Stephanie Powers miniseries Deceptions on youtube too.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,883
    I just finished the first hour of Hollywood Wives.... It's wonderful trash! I wish I had have watched it on DVD in better quality instead of YouTube.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,481
    Dutch release is available from amazon uk for only £6.99
    Subtitles are optional.

upload_2016-10-18_23-37-30.png

• Like Like x 2
  4. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    Last miniseries I watched was Top of the Lake. A second season is being made right now. Unfortunately without my favorite character, GJ, played so brilliantly by Holly Hunter. However, Gwendoline Christie (Brienne, Game of Thrones) and Nicole Kidman are joining. Season 2 is shooting in Sydney, Australia rather than in New Zealand, which is a shame. I thought NZ was far more exotic.

Since the 2nd season has a whole new cast except Elisabeth Moss, and new location, it's certainly not a continuation. That's probably for the best, since the storylines of season 1 pretty much concluded at the end of season 1.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    My favorite miniseries, so far, is Pride & Prejudice from 1995. I loved the Jane Austen novel, and this miniseries did the novel justice. Colin Firth is terrific as Mr. Darcy. And it wasn't until recently that I found out that Julia Sawalha was playing Lydia Bennet. Saffy Monsoon from AbFab playing Lydia. Such polar opposite characters.
    Great scenary and costumes on top of that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I must watch this one: I love Moss and also the location and the plot.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Emelee, have you watched the BBC version of "Emma" from 2009? It´s 4 hours long and IMO it surpasses the version with Gwyneth Paltrow. The main star is a discovery: Romola Garai, previously seen in "Atonement" and "Vanity Fair", and later in "The Hour" series and "Suffragette". The rest of the cast can´t be better: Michael Gambon, Jonny Lee Miller (very far from his Sherlock in "Elementary"), Jodhi May, and the very gorgeous Rupert Evans. If you love lavish adaptations of classic novels, you can´t miss it! More info here:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1366312/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

PS: I just checked out that it´s uploaded on YouTube, seemingly complete!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I watched this one at the time Alexis (also "HW"...which I hated with a passion). "Deceptions" is a typical döpelganger story (I hope to use the term properly). Stefanie plays two roles and tries her best to be convincing and improve the very flat script. Even so, I guess that sometimes it´s so bad that you can have fun with it. I think Stefanie Powers is one of the most underrated actresses of her generation though...

[​IMG]

...And a true beauty, too.​

• Like Like x 3
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,481
    My all-time favourite is the 1981 version of "East Of Eden", a great American drama about love, sins and forgiveness.
    The "evil" of the story is portrayed by a beautiful woman, who thrives on the weaknesses of other people, but also hates them for having those weaknesses.

And the beautiful intro:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I agree with you, though I´d put "Brideshead Revisited" over this one. It´s very special in my heart too, for the subjects it handled (I was a teenager back then). "East of Eden" was a big-budget production, where everything was absolutely perfect: from Lee Holdridge´s masterful score, to the atmospheric locations, to the masterful casting: Timothy Bottoms and Jane Seymour always have delivered flawless performances, but they excel here. Bruce Boxleitner is not only very well directed here, but he is totally hot!! There also are Annie Fairgate, I mean, Karen Allen, in the role played in the movie by...Lilimae Clemmens! (Julie Harris). And Howard Duff, Anne Baxter, Lloyd Bridges, and Sam Bottoms, Timothy´s younger brother, who comes across as a lot more naïve and huggable than his movie counterpart, but equally as hot as the rest of the actors in this movie. No wonder I keep such a good memory of it!!

Now seriously, as you know, the film version only covers the last part of the very long novel, and the series runs 8 hours, so it has time to cover the whole story. I remember how horrific Seymour looked in the latter scenes, contrasting with her usually sweet, beautiful previous characterization. Another underrated actress who should be given the merit she has: US TV wouldn´t have been the same without her, Jaclyn Smith, Ann-Margret or Lee Remick, just to say a few names. They weren´t just pretty faces: they could be glamorous and also give soul to each and every of her characters. I miss them so much!!

[​IMG]
    Bruce, take me to eden!​

• Like Like x 2
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,481
    I have tried to watch that. 4 hours, at least.

12. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,883
    I just finished all of Hollywood Wives tonight. I really enjoyed it, it was so '80s and soapy. It was fun to spot a few Nolan Miller frocks in the background of the party scenes. I'm almost certain that I saw this one on an extra.
    [​IMG]
    And then I also saw this one that was worn by Krystle, and Caress and Frankie on DYNASTY and The Colbys.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Loved seeing all the Nolan Miller outfits.
    The ending was a bit of a rush job but I did enjoy the whole thing. I'm going to buy the DVD as I'd like to rewatch it on a big screen in good quality. I think I will watch Deceptions tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,883
    It's very good though. The '80s one with Jeremy Irons, I loved it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I agree with you. It´s worth it, and very faithful to the novel. The movie version, though had a proper, good-looking cast, had a script adapted for simpleminded people. And no, Charles is not
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

15. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,427
    In general I miss the Mini Series genre. To us the viewers we knew going in we were going to see a beginning, middle and end. I'm surprised commercial networks (around the world) have not re-visited this formula because on occasion a mini series became so popular it would transcend into a series. There were some brilliant ones from the 80's, Return To Eden, North and South, Roots, Brideshead Revisited.

In today's tough environment where commercial networks are struggling for viewers I wonder why they haven't looked at this. The potential is there. Show the mini-series on your network then off-sell it to companies like Netflix.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,883
    Oh in my mind he very much is. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Aloysius was more my type... (though I also fancied Mr. Irons back then)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    I haven't seen it. I want to read the novel before. Thanks for the heads-up, I hadn't heard of this adaption before. :)

19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,481
    One of my Most Disliked Actors.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,883
    Ohhhh..... Well then you'd probably best avoid it. He's gorgeous in it though.... And that voice!

• Like Like x 2

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 4)