1. Festive Names

Do you want to change your name to something festive ?

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Times when you agreed with the villain.....

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by TJames03, Jun 10, 2019.

1. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    Medals:
    Except in Reunion/Secrets/Return Engagements/Power Play/Second Thoughts/KL: A Family Matter/KL: Daniel/ KL: New Beginnings ?

JR plotted to keep Gary away from Southfork on multiple occasions. Even to the point of wanting Lucy married to Alan Beam to achieve that. On the evening of the reading of Jock’s Will, JR intends to have his limousine on standby the next day, ready to drive Gary from meeting their mother at Southfork straight to the airport. Because JR does not want Gary to stay. JR says in two different episodes of Knots Landing that he is counting on Abby Cunningham to keep Gary out of Dallas. In New Beginnings, JR admits to Abby that Gary is dangerous to him and would be capable of making his life miserable.

On Dallas, JR told Valene that he might send people to keep her out of Dallas permanently but Bobby and Lucy overheard this. In the Knots Landing episode, Land of the Free, Valene and Gary state that when Valene came back to Texas, JR’s “boys” wouldn’t let her near the ranch, so she went to the sheriff’s office but as the law were tight with Gary’s family, so she couldn’t do anything. JR grabbing baby Lucy is shown as a flashback sequence in the fifth episode of Knots Landing.

Forgive me if I’ve missed something but that doesn’t sound too welcoming to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,662
    I'm referring to Gary's parents welcoming him anytime he wanted to visit them in their home.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  3. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    Medals:
    But Jock forbids Lucy from trying to contact Gary in Survival!

Jock and JR forbid Valene from coming to Southfork for Lucy’s birthday party in Runaway. Jock even says that he won’t allow Valene in the house!

Jock threatens to wring Gary’s neck (if Gary shows up again) in Reunion, while holding Miss Ellie’s hand! And Miss Ellie doesn’t defend either Gary or Valene, even telling Bobby not to fault JR!

In Knots Landing: The Loudest Word, when Gary phones his mother when Valene has a cancer scare, according to Bobby, Miss Ellie can’t stand to come herself, so she sends Bobby (Special Appearance by Patrick Duffy as Bobby Ewing) instead.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,229
    Medals:
    Besides, how welcome would you feel if (one of) your parents would regard you as an epic failure and a disgrace to the family - and then also not being coy about it at all.
    And then a brother and his wife who are always glad to see the back of you. How nice is that?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +931
    I agreed with JR when he called out Pam in the season finale of season 6. Pam gets in his face about Sue Ellen, so JR points out how she runs off to France with Mark while still married to Bobby. JR was right because Bobby and Pam were still married, Bobby was in the middle of the fight for Ewing Oil. This is a time when spouses support each other, i.e. "...for better or for worse." JR reminded her that she didn't have the stomach for the fight, which is why she moved out of Southfork. Well, Pam can't have it both ways. She can't then stick her nose into JR's business. If you don't have the stomach for the fight, stay out of it completely.
    I'm not saying Pam didn't have the right to object to Bobby's behavior, or even to temporarily separate from him. However, to go off on a trip with his romantic rival is too much. What kind of angst and stress does that put very unfairly on Bobby?
    I loved what the writer's did that season. They made the characters so human. Pam, like all of us, didn't make all the best decisions all the time. She also wasn't perfect in her relationship with Bobby, which to her credit, she admitted to him the following season. This is why it's my favorite season:jum:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +712
    Miss Ellie never resented Gary for avoiding pressures and responsibility. She loved Gary in a different way to J.R. and Bobby.

Gary was a complete mess when he phoned his mother in despair while Valene had cancer. Gary wanted to run away from Knots Landing fast at that moment. Bobby was good for Gary at that time anyway, as Bobby would firmly tell him to stand and fight, and that the worst thing that can happen to Val is that she dies, not the possibility of her needing a colostomy. Bobby was great for Val in that episode too, as Val could show weakness and insecurity to Bobby, while she knew she had to be strong for Gary.

Valene is remarkable character. She looks pretty weak on the surface, yet seemingly gets stronger with every setback. Gary feels that he needs her strength to rely on, and her cancer and the possible consequences terrified him.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 3