Tina Arena Is Everything!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Alexis, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,412
    My two new Tina albums were here when I got home along with a big fat George Michael/Wham! album and Cilla. :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,705
    Ooh Alexis. You've got one lucky letterbox!! I do hope you'll be sharing your thoughts on all four.

It's bothering me that I've never got round to buying Reset. I've literally just ordered the Deluxe and it will be with me tomorrow. So we can all dive in together!! :jolly:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,412
    Oh yes... Deluxe versions all the way! :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    The deluxe version isn't on Spotify, so I'm going to have to figure out which songs I'm missing. I'm planning on listening to Reset this weekend. I've been listening to Eleven all week.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,705
    This is really exciting. Mine, I'm reliably informed, is out for delivery and will be with me today.

It seems there are three additional tracks on the DE: I Can Breathe; Lose Myself and an acoustic version of You Set Fire To My Life.

Having listened to samples on iTunes, I like the sound of all three. None seem to be on YouTube, but there is a different acoustic version of YSFTML:

The one on the album sounds a bit "warmer" to my ears. I really like the backing vocals which sound quite angelic.

I've got a few Eleven tracks in my Favourites playlist. When You're Ready and Lie In It both came on whilst I was vacuuming yesterday.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,705
    Oh my. Reset has just arrived as I was making my post.

Have you listened to any of yours yet, @Alexis?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,705
    Before diving into Reset, I just want to give a little bit of love for Sixteen Years, a track from In Deep which has really clicked with me this morning. I hadn't listened to it properly before because the "Mmmm banana" intro put me right off.

Now that I have got past that short section I've discovered the rest of the track is incredible. It's so raw: full of sorrow and anger. She went through a really messy divorce shortly after it was recorded, and I can't help wondering if Sixteen Years was her outlet.

It's one of her best vocals. I especially love the bridge onwards - from around 3:30. That note at 4:00... :eck: Chills.

8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,412
    I haven't but I will be very shortly as I have a day of domestic horrors in store today so Tina can make it a bit less of a chore.

HAHA! I really liked Sixteen Years and hadn't ever even thought about the "Mmmm Banana" bit. Now I can never un-hear it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,705
    My current mental image of this scenario:

10. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,412
    Very much like that, but I'm just back from the hairdressers so I've kept my set in a hairnet while do the shake and vac, it should be like cement by the time I take dinner out of the oven. :p

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,705
    You diva. I'm humbled by your fabulousness. :loveit:

Just make sure you don't get too carried away. It wouldn't do for the dinner to end up like cement too. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,412
    @Mel O’Drama I think Sixteen Years sounds like a perfect Steps type ballad. It always reminds me of Wouldn't Hurt So Bad and even Mars and Venus for some reason. Obviously Steps do a much more perky pop thing but there is a similarity there. They could even be mashed up, put in a medley. Maybe they should cover it on the new album.

I wish... I pray.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,705
    Oh my. I hadn't even thought of Steps, but as soon as I read your comment I got it immediately. It does sound like a Buzz-era Steps track. Or even a taste of the sound we might have got if they'd continued. It would be perfect for a ballad on the new album.

14. Kevmac

Kevmac Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,320
    OOoo.... just found this thread. Thank you for starting it, Alexis :)

I love Ms. Arena. I've enjoyed reading these posts and they've reminded me of some of her songs I'd forgotten about...?

I must update my iTunes and sync them to the iPod, if I can ever remember to take the bloody thing out of the car... :confused:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,412
    Oh Eleven is a great album! I really love it and it all flows so well. Some really big epic ballads and some quieter softer moments. Favourites so far are I Want To Love You, Magic, Lie In It and Karma and Love Falls. Though I just love the whole album.

It's such a nice cohesive listening experience. I had to look at the booklet and see it's a small group of writers and the production was basically all handled by the same people. I love when singers make an album in that way instead of just randomly recording songs with all different producers. I think it gives an album a mood and feeling and it just works better.

Tina's voice is just gorgeous, I love when she belts and all those ad-libby bits that she does. She does a lot with her voice and it's always full voice but it's not too showy or ever too much. An honest to goodness singer!

More thoughts later but I love this album!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,412
    I listened to Eleven twice today the whole way through. My favourite song right now is Karma. I have no idea why, it's probably the slightly cryptic lyrics and the way that the chorus comes in. It's like a chant or something. It's a pop song but there's a little bit of an edge on it, a little bit dark and I'm still not quite sure what it's all about or means. All I know is that I love it. Still Not In Love With You is also great. I didn't realise that until the second listen.

I found this very nice review of the album while looking up lyrics. It mentions comparison with Celine Dion and I think the reviewer is right. When I listened to Eleven I whished for a Celine album like that. Something coherent that flows well and seems true. Something that isn't just a mixed bag of songs in different styles and by different producers just cobbled together. The reviewer says that Tina makes Celine sound restrained. I know why. Tina is telling her stories through the album. It's not even about writing your own songs. You can pick other peoples songs and have something cohesive. It's about the overall effect of the album. Not just a random bunch of songs by in demand producers.

I got it immediately as soon as I listened to Eleven. I knew she'd worked with a small crew and I had to pull out the booklet to check I was right.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,412
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,705
    Great choices. If you replace Karma with Overload, those were my instant favourites too.

Most of Tina's albums - certainly all the ones from the last decade or so - have that feel to them. There's a sense of family to it.

The thing that resonated most to me about seeing her live was how intimate and un-showy it was. It felt small, in the best possible way. It's almost familial. That's what I love about the albums too. Even when things get big they stay relatable because as a listener I feel like I'm part of a world where a handful of selected people share a vision.

She's so good at those ad libs. They're frequently the real hooks for me.

Isn't it beautiful? I can remember Jason discussing the lyrics on the old thread and realising just how well-written it was.

Thanks for sharing that. :hat:

Oh yes, Kev. You need the in-car Arena experience. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,705
    Reset and I had a moment yesterday. I was running some errands and played the first few tracks in the car.

As I set off, I became aware that the sun was setting, and there was just a huge, fiery red ball in the sky. It seemed to get bigger and bigger. So my lingering association of the first few songs will be that red warmth.

I stopped off at a nearby park with a view over the docks to take some pictures. Unfortunately, even though it was just up the road from where I was, I found the sun itself couldn't be seen as it was tucked behind a ridge, but there was still a pretty enough sky to enjoy listening to You Set Fire To My Life with (even though the photo doesn't do it justice).

IMG_6761_zpstyrne2he.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,412
    Yes, on the second listen I remember just stopping what I was doing and thinking "Oh I've been there Tina!" great lyrics.

• Like Like x 1