1. Check Out Our Musical Secret Santa

Coming to Soap Chat this Christmas

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Tina Arena Is Everything!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Alexis, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,343
    Thanks! There's no deluxe version on iTunes either, so I'll have to just settle for the regular old version of Reset. I bet I'll manage.

Those are easily my two favorites. They're both sort of dark and gothic and big. That moment in Love Falls, near the end where the music drops out and just Tina's voice is left and then the drum beat and then music comes racing back, is my favorite moment on the album.

I think it's an apt comparison. Something about Eleven has always reminded me of Celine's Falling Into You album. I can't really put my finger on why exactly, but they pair nicely. Since we've been discussing Eleven I've even added some Falling Into You tracks to my favorites playlist.

Oh, that's beautiful. I can just imagine how a fiery sunset would be the perfect accompaniment to the song.

My first re-listen to Reset this weekend was sort of the opposite of the moment you've described. I put it on yesterday afternoon while I was driving around in the pouring rain.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,111
    Isn't it great when you connect to a song in this way?

Oh poo. A pox on iTunes and their stupid regional favouritism. :(

Thanks. It was one of those perfect moments in an otherwise ordinary day.

Ooh. That sounds so dramatic. Very appropriate indeed. How are you finding your re-listen?

I've listened to the first eight tracks so far. The standout for me is Still Running. The sunset association helps a great deal, but I think I'd still love it regardless. It's so angsty, but hopeful at the same time. And the piano is just so lovely.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,343
    :D That made me smile.

Those are the best--those unexpected perfect little moments.

I've enjoyed it. I can see why Reset didn't grab the way Eleven did, but still I'm finding some songs I really like.

Still Running is my favorite but I'm also really liking Bring Me Love.

The second verse of It's Just What It Is really spoke to me today in light of the travesty of yesterday's inauguration, so I'm enjoying that one. It's kind of bleak but with some sense of hopefulness.

Don't despair now. Breath in this air, cause one day this world is gonna make itself pure again.

I'm curious to know the background behind the song. It's the most political song I've heard from her.

I feel like overall, the album is going to be a grower and the more time I give it, the more I'm going to fall in love with some of the songs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,343
    A couple more listens to Reset today and I'm falling in love with it. It's such a sad, beautiful album. So many songs about being battered and bruised by love.

Reset All is fast becoming my favorite song on the album. It's definitely between RA and Still Running. One thing I love about Tina is how she can put so many different emotions into what could be standard love or heartbreak songs. There's such a weary, resigned feeling to Reset All.

You Set Fire to My Life is uplifting and I love how her vocals soar on that one.

Love You Less is really catchy. Another song about a love that is bad for you. We fell down the lover's well, drank the water, got drunk as hell.

Don't Look Back is really fun. It sounds like pop version of a showstopper out of a Broadway musical. I refuse to live an ordinary life.

Patchwork heart is so tender and vulnerable. Every battle someone has to lose. Maybe it's not true, but it's my point of view.

I'm also really loving Only Lonely and it feels like it would have fit really nicely on Eleven.

And now I want to watch Home and Away.

Apparently, Only Lonely charted in Australia, in spite of not being a single, because of being used in this promo.

I've ended up adding ten songs from Reset to my Favorites playlist.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,111
    I haven't got to these yet. Now I'm really looking forward to it.

(I have heard the songs before, but not for some time).

I'm going to bear this in mind when I re-listen.

I just had a look in the liner notes to see if anything was written there, but there's no background. I did find a couple of album reviews though. Here's what they had to say about IJWII:

http://www.outinperth.com/tina-arenas-new-album-track-by-track/

http://www.loveispop.com/reviews/albumoftheday-review-tina-arena-reset/

http://renownedforsound.com/index.php/album-review-tina-arena-reset/

I'm hoping that will be the case too. I like it a lot more than I was expecting to, and now I can't imagine why it's taken me so long to buy it.

She's definitely someone who feels what she's saying. I find her to be a very immediate artist. There's a sense that she's not thinking about the words, but just saying them as they come to her.

She has that gospel thing going on often where she just lets it happen and doesn't fear getting it wrong. I can think of a couple of live tracks where she forgets the lyrics because she's in the moment, and they're some of her best performances - somehow the change adds to the performance by showing it's not over-rehearsed.

I love the epic-ness of it. It's the song from the album I think will be most remembered many years down as a moment in time for Tina.

That was my initial favourite and I remember it being a really beautiful and intimate moment in the concert when she sang this one.

Home and Away is very you, J. You'd love it.

Wow - that's a healthy number.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,679
    I've yet to listen to Reset but I'm off tomorrow so I will give it a listen then. :)

• Like Like x 3
  7. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,343
    Oh, that sheds some light on it. It's a song full of poignant lyrics. One line that always catches my ear is from the first verse is "would you, should you, could you bring a child into this world?" It seems like a very personal song.

That's the line from the second verse that I really wanted to quote last night, but I couldn't find the lyrics online and I was worried about misquoting. I thought she was saying "raping, globalizing" but I wasn't 100 percent sure. That's pretty powerful language.

That's one of the things I love about the song. She keeps saying she's not angry, but she sounds absolutely pissed about the state of the world. I can relate. "It's just what it is."

Can you tell me what she is saying at the beginning of the second verse? It sounds to me like "Dumb it, dumb it, dumb it down" but I'm not sure that actually is it.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,111
    It does indeed. I've only listened to it twice, but that line grabbed me both times.

Somehow I doubt this will shock you but I was almost put off the song entirely by the first line: "Changes of a woman" (and another one shortly after: "Where's the family, Mama?"). I'm glad you've discussed it in some depth as it's helping me get past that.

Incidentally, I'd misheard the backing singers as saying "I'm not in love" during the chorus, instead of "not alone". It makes a little more sense now.

It is. So's the line immediately following it: "Misleading religions, excuses for killings. These demons run our lives."

You've got it right. It sounded that way to me too and the lyrics in the liner notes say that too. Now I'm discussing it, I'm really liking the first half of the second verse, which seems to be taking a swipe at climate change denial. Possibly even more relevant today than it was three years ago.

Yay!!

Me too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,343
    Yes--"demons"--that's quite a choice of a word. I love it.

Thank you. I wasn't 100 percent sure.

That's how I'm interpreting it too--that line about the broken greenhouse and the poisoned air, among others.

Sadly, yes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,111
    Over the last couple of days I got the chance to listen to the last half of Reset and very much enjoyed it. It's a nice album and I think I'll grow to like it even more.

My top tracks. A couple of them are the bonus tracks, so it's technically a standard album Top Three:

1. Still Running
    2. You Set Fire To My Life [Acoustic]
    3. Reset All
    4. Only Lonely
    5. Lose Myself

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,111
    While doing some random YouTubing, I just stumbled on this video of some of the concert I attended, which took place in an old church. I just love how giving Tina is to the audience, and with this being the final song the connection comes across.

I chose a spot at the front of a balcony with a clear view (the venue was pretty small and intimate, so nowhere was too far). Watching this video I found myself getting quite excited in the first chorus watching her sing "forever young" right at me at the 1 minute mark. And again at 4:44, her wave and "thank you" felt like it was just for me (I'm choosing to believe it was :D). She has a way of making everyone feel included and valued. It's definitely the best concert experience I've had.

I love the way she handled her little misstep at 5:18 too. Just laugh it off. Every diva has to have a sense of humour.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,111

My top three keep switching. I've listened to them all a fair bit in the past couple of days. Reset All is currently my favourite. It's so beautifully painful and deep. But I love them all in different ways.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,343
    Wow, that was captivating. You could really see how she was connecting with the audience. She sounded fantastic and has such a stage presence.

I've really been enjoying the album this week. I'm thankful to this thread for bringing Reset back to my attention. Only Lonely and Reset All are currently the tracks that seem to be getting the most play.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,111
    She does sound great live. She's a true vocalist, with complete clarity live. There was no lip-syncing, no big production and no disappointment. It's just all about her beautiful voice.

The connection is brilliant. Granted, I haven't been to that many concerts, but it's the only one that I've walked away from truly feeling that my presence had been acknowledged. I suspect almost everyone who was there felt the same way. There aren't many artists who could pull that off.

Same here. I'd somehow skipped buying Reset and jumped straight on to Eleven when that came out. The timing has felt right for me to discover it this last week. The songs are speaking to me and I'm very much getting absorbed in the sound of the album. As an album experience it's very satisfying. There's a genuine intimacy to it.

I've listened to both today. :D

• Like Like x 2
  15. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,679
    You'll have to forgive my lack of Tina related chatter this week and probably next as Operation Must Get Celine Tickets is fully underway.
    The sneaky devil announcing a UK tour in January when Alexis simply wasn't prepared mentally or financially.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,111
    Now that's a good reason!! Hope you'll keep us posted about your progress with both very important projects.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,343
    Yes, please keep us posted. I'm really hoping the Operation is a success!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,343
    This is my most played Tina song this week. I love how it's sad and hopeful at the same time:

Can't cover up your scars, but I'll do everything to fix your heart . . .

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,111
    It's such a lovely song.

The two Eleven songs I've listened to the most this week have been Lie In It and When You're Ready. It occurs to me that the latter shares a common theme with Wouldn't Be Love If It Didn't. They're both like gentle pep talks from a good friend.

Looking at this video I noticed "Say No To Domestic Violence" on the screen behind her. Viewing it with that in mind gives the lyrics even deeper meaning:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,343

Wow, that flips the whole meaning of the song around for me. It makes it an even more powerful song.

• Like Like x 1