TNT Dallas For Beginners

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Willie O! Tannenbaum, Jul 14, 2017.

1. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,602
    Yeah, in the original DALLAS everyone's always talking about what a beautiful, special place Southfork is and you kind of have to take their word for it cos it doesn't really look that amazing -- not that that was a problem, it was part of the charm of the show. But in New DALLAS, it really does look beautiful. And there's something weirdly emotional about it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    With advances in camera technology (High Definition) and the freedom it offers I was looking forward to seeing Southfork and surrounding grounds. I'll admit new housing developments are encroaching on Southfork at an alarming rate but clever editing could easily have us suspend belief Southfork is still a sprawling ranch. But for me TNT Dallas didn't offer enough of those outdoor scenes, breakfast on the patio or beside the pool, I wanted more.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +462
    That first episode with the sweeping footage of the ranch was just beautiful. Even if the TNT storylines weren't the best, it was worth tuning in at times just to see Southfork in HD.

As for the housing developments, Google Timelapse makes it super clear how non-rural the area is anymore.

1984 (I believe Southfork is where I've circled red)

[​IMG]

2016 (again, Southfork is the red circle)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    I discovered Google Timelapse by accident one day and decided to use my location. I was astonished how much housing development has occurred in my area. I wish I had been just as rich as the Ewing family and purchased all that land in 1984. I could retire now :) ....

...but. Being that rich. I'd probably have an alcoholic wife who will not admit she is a drunk. A younger brother, despite his good looks and charm, ends up with that woman. Good grief this has all the makings of a successful TV series...darn, I see they made a show called Dallas. Thwarted again.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    I usually pop the DVD in the computer first and then connect my headphones. I've probably missed the other ones.

6. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    Isn't that what they did? I don't remember all the location shots from old Dallas so I don't know how it compares to that.

7. Frank Under The Mistletoe

Frank Under The Mistletoe Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +611
    New Dallas was very hit or miss for me. My favorite scenes were generally when the original character would interact with each other. I thought Cliff started off well, but was ruined in season 2. Some chalked it up to ambiguity, but it felt more like a hatchet job to me. I also thought John Ross and Pamela were well cast, but I thought Jesse Metcalfe was not a good fit for Christopher. His constant rising inflection irritated the hell out of me.

I thought Harris made a great new villain, and always thought it would have been an interesting twist if one of his trucks had been responsible for Pam's accident. I also thought they missed an opportunity by not having Bobby's wife be Cliff's one night stand from season 10 since both characters were played by Brenda Strong. They also padded out the Ryland and Ramos families, but never addressed Bobby's biological son Lucas. Of course, much of new Dallas was missed opportunities, continuity mistakes, and crime drama plots. Season 2 episodes involving race cars and a kangaroo court rival the worst episodes of original Dallas. And much of the second half of season 3 feels more like a half-baked attempt at doing Breaking Bad than a Dallas continuation.

That said, when the interactions between the characters felt genuine, there was a nice sense of history and nostalgia. JR's scenes with Bobby and Sue Ellen were particularly poignant, as was his strained relationship with John Ross. It was nice seeing him scheme again and go toe to toe with Bobby, Cliff and Pamela. It was a huge improvement over the buffoonish, doormat JR of the later seasons. Sue Ellen has a scene with John Ross in season 3 that is one of my favorite moments from either version of Dallas. I also thought both JR and Pam received proper sendoffs (for the most part).

It's sad that much of the show ended up being so bad, particularly the end of season 1, the first half of season 2, and the last half of season 3.

I believe a lot of that comes down to today's HD filming techniques. However, I seem to recall the original series capturing a wider scope of the ranch in the first full season, as well as the dream season.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    The situation is getting extremely hopeless in episode 8, Sanchez is about to confiscate Southfork and John Ross finds himself with his back against the wall - and bars.
    But it takes a personal tragedy to unite the family, in this case John Ross' face beaten to a pulp.
    upload_2017-8-20_2-7-20.png
    Bobby decides that they have to deliver Southfork's oil, otherwise Sanchez' men will kill his nephew.

upload_2017-8-20_2-12-5.png
    "You'd do whatever it takes to protect your family, and that's just what I'm gonna do, mama. And I know you'll understand".
    But it's Christopher who saves the day, and offers Sanchez his methane-energy formula instead.
    (I know he meant well, but somehow it comes across as unnecessary thunder-stealing).

In the meantime - and here comes the best part - Sue Ellen bribes-slash-blackmails an examiner to alter the result of Veronica's autopsy report, completely unaware of Christopher's deal with Sanchez.
    I love it when a storyline splits into different directions. And she is so going to regret it.

Either way, John Ross is discharged from jail and the hospital, so now they can focus on the family feud again.
    Right on cue, JR moves back to Dallas. I'm not sure if his upcoming battle over Cliff's gambling empire will become a loose end or not.

John Ross and Elena discover a way to get Southfork's oil via the Henderson drilling site.
    upload_2017-8-20_2-55-49.png
    They present the idea to Bobby, Christopher barges in and within seconds there's a big argument. This causes Bobby to have a seizure and he's taken to the hospital (this is similar to Maggie and Terry's heated argument on Falcon Crest).
    But it's then when John Ross learns about his uncle's illness, and the very idea that his father would take advantage of that horrible situation infuriates him.

JR, however, is shocked when his son tells him that he's "so damn tired to hear about your birthright".
    upload_2017-8-20_3-6-18.png
    But somehow I can understand that he feels that it is impossible to "let go" of it. After all, it would imply that all those years, all those battles have been a waste of time and energy. Not the most fun way to look back on your life.
    John Ross realizes that he can no longer be part of his father's destructive obsession.

It is revealed that Tommy had planned to sell Christopher's multi-billion-dollar-energy-project to Cliff's adopted chauffeur and, not surprisingly, the bald guy is also getting impatient.
    Rebecca remains uncooperative and Tommy decides to put on thumbscrews.
    upload_2017-8-20_3-26-54.png
    Naturally, a self-respecting SoapLander has a secret box, and it also makes me wonder what's in all those boxes behind her. Probably lots of dramatic and unsavory business.

Christopher, John Ross and Elena decide to join their businesses. It's all very sweet and optimistic, but there's still that love-triangle hanging over it.
    It just reeks of disaster.

JR, also recently informed about Bobby's condition, has a change of heart and signs the deed over to his brother.
    upload_2017-8-20_3-44-16.png
    A short but powerful scene, and everything about this Dallas sequel is just so spot on.

Bobby's lawyer provides additional information on Marta/Veronica's fraudulent business, and JR's possible involvement, in other words: JR's fate is in Bobby's hands.
    Beep.....beep....beep...beep..beep.beep.beep.beep.
    upload_2017-8-20_3-49-41.png
    I declare, it almost looks like a soap!

Frank Ashkani tells Tommy that the deal is off, and in a rage Tommy attacks Rebecca.
    She pulls the gun (the one that was hidden in the secret box), there's the classic struggle and...bang!
    upload_2017-8-20_4-17-40.png

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    The season finale episode is an emotional roller coaster from start to finish.

I guess no-one expected Rebecca to be the one who died from that off-screen gunshot, since she's the one with the Ewing connection.
    Tommy's body is being disposed of swiftly and professionally.
    upload_2017-8-21_0-48-3.png

Bobby's still in the hospital, and JR tells him "I love you, Bobby. And I don't know who I'd be without you".
    And maybe that's true, maybe some soap characters feel they can't "exist" without another character. They need the other person to feel whole (Sable Colby springs to mind) although it doesn't necessarily have to be a good relationship, and it doesn't even have to work both ways.
    Now I truly believe that JR loves his brother, but I'm not forgetting that he's also capable of absolutely not-loving his other brother.
    These kind of villains usually love when it suits them, or when it feels appropriate.
    They can turn it on and off like a...eh...faucet, so I'm not completely swooning over all this brotherly affection.

John Ross buys the old Ewing Oil offices and proposes to Elena. It's so romantic, and everything's gonna be all right.

Wrong again, because the truth about John Ross and Veronica's shenanigans is out in the open, and Elena overhears everything.
    upload_2017-8-21_1-15-36.png
    Yes, John Ross is a schemer and a daredevil, but what makes Christopher almost equally un-likeable is the fact that he always gloats when things like this happen.
    It's as if he considers John Ross his enemy no matter what.

Anyway, thanks to John Ross and JR's confessions, Bobby manages to put the treacherous Venezuelan away.

In the meantime, Rebecca's lies are catching up with her.
    upload_2017-8-21_1-28-5.png
    "What do you mean who-is-this? I'm Rebecca, your sister".
    Uh-oh.

Christopher breaks up with whatever-her-name-is, and promptly proposes to Elena (who had just broken up with John Ross).
    And again, it looks very emotional and romantic. It doesn't hurt that she's a very loveable person.
    upload_2017-8-21_1-37-43.png

And then, le moment suprême, the impostor meets with the mastermind behind her and Tommy's secret mission:
    upload_2017-8-21_1-46-28.png
    She's a Barnes Woman!

At the end of the episode, they combine Sue Ellen's enthusiastic speech with various other scenes, and I found it very beautiful and effective.
    It looks like John Ross and Christopher have switched roles, because now it's John Ross who's feeling betrayed and very, very bitter.
    upload_2017-8-21_1-59-38.png
    And like the true bloodsucker he is, JR feeds off his son's misery.

Favourite quote: "You know you've hit a low when even a lawyer won't take the time to insult you".

This was an excellent series, modern when it was supposed to be modern, and old-fashioned soapy whenever the story required it.
    Beautifully atmospheric scenery and soundtrack, excellent casting and plenty of Texas-sized drama.
    Right now I wouldn't even want to go back to Old Dallas, but I don't know what season 2 and 3 have to offer.
    I really hope CW DYNASTY will be as great as TNT DALLAS.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    I recall the scene when JR visits a sleeping John Ross in hospital after his beating in prison. The look on JR's face said it all. It was if JR was going to rain fire and brimstone on Dallas and those responsible. Sometimes, just sometimes TNT Dallas knew how to create a damn fine scene.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    I think they've done a good job translating the classic soap genre into a 2010 version. Several shows have tried, but it often felt a little too desperate, or too tongue in cheek. But it is a difficult genre, even back in the 80s - especially if you want to create something that stands out from the rest.
    But then, the other shows couldn't borrow from Dallas' legacy.
    Speaking of which, there was a bit of "Falcon Crest" in this series, because they also had that Cartel stuff almost from the very beginning.

Anyway, I'm going to start with season 2 today:)

• Like Like x 4
  12. JamesF

JamesF Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Willie, I'm absolutely loving reading your thoughts on this. In fact, you inspired me to buy the DVDs and start a rewatch myself and I'm now nearing the end of season 1.

I watched it all when it originally aired and had mixed feelings about it at the time - it was hard to focus on the show without bearing in mind a lot of the negativity both here and elsewhere. I don't blame people for loathing it. Although I've seen the original all the way through it was never my show like, say, Knots Landing was, so I didn't have the emotional connection to it to be affronted by the choices Cidre made.

However reading your perspective made me want to rewatch TNT Dallas afresh and I'm enjoying it far more with some distance than I did during its original run. In terms of setting up a soap for the 2010s whilst acknowledging what came before, I really think the initial structure was strong.

From recollection it does take a few turns for the outlandish and I'm interested to see whether I (and you in fact) respond well to them now the show is done and dusted. I look forward to reading more.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Kristin Kringle Channing

Kristin Kringle Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,370
    There's an older female character joining the cast in season 2 who I have a feeling you are gonna love Willie.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    It's an excellent point you make James. From the outset I did not like the direction of TNT Dallas. Retrofitting the Ramos family into the Lorimar Dallas timeline just peeved me no end. I'm thoroughly enjoying reading Willie's reviews, so much so I often think I should purchase the series. I've mentioned this in another thread but I now view Dallas as chapters. I view the original series up until Bobby's death as one chapter. The Dream Season up until Conundrum is chapter 2. The reunion movies as another, followed by TNT Dallas. Splitting up the series in my mind works for me personally.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    Yes, I prefer to "discover" the soaps when all the hype and havoc is over.

Episode 2.1 filled my soap-loving heart with joy.

John Ross is planning to undermine Christopher's Methane-Energy-Company, take over Ewing Energies and to settle the score on a personal level.
    And Christopher threatens his cousin that he can't wait to squeeze him out of the company.
    upload_2017-8-22_15-21-54.png
    One cousin barks, the other one bites - well that really looks like the good ol days, doesn't it.

Christopher locates the real Rebecca Sutter, and he needs her to get his marriage with the impostor annulled.
    Rebecca tries to bargain, in order to get her brother off the hook.
    upload_2017-8-22_15-23-32.png
    It's funny to hear her say "I've watched enough Law & Order..." and then, in almost the same sentence "Now I like Dallas, but I'm fine going home".

Harris Ryland offers his ex-wife information about their missing daugther's whereabouts in exchange for the recorded confession about the money laundering.
    upload_2017-8-22_15-25-32.png
    I must say his timing is impeccable, but of course this is typical example of SoapLand's convenience.

Rebecca (that Barnes woman) has returned, and she thinks it's time to make an entrance.
    This dramatic entrance will take place in Barnes Global Headquarters.
    upload_2017-8-22_15-33-8.png
    Nice try, but this is obviously photoshopped:lol: (the series, not my snapshot).
    But the way it's presented makes me feel it holds something evil, kind of how the ColbyCo building should have looked like.
    There's a heated, soap-tastic argument between Christopher and Pamela R. (Afton's daughter) about the annulment, the custody of the twins and Ewing Energies.
    upload_2017-8-22_15-38-30.png
    "If you don't take my deal now, I will go to court, and fight you with the full weight of my father's power".
    Needless to say, I squealed with delight!

Anne Ewing finally meets with her daughter for the first time in 20 years. But Emma's reaction is cold, and she wants to have nothing to do with her biological mother.
    upload_2017-8-22_15-40-40.png
    Gosh, she looks exactly like...oh, I can't remember who it is! A famous actress, English or maybe Australian? I was thinking about one of the Redgraves or Jacqueline Bisset...but I'm not sure:thinks:
    upload_2017-8-22_15-42-51.png
    Please help me with this.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,770
    IMHO season one was the best of the Dallas TNT seasons. It held so much promise and potential at that point. I enjoyed watching it. :)

It's also the season I've rewatched the most, first I saw it as the episodes broadcast on American TV. Then I re-watched and taped it when Swedish TV broadcast the show some months later. Then I've also rewatched the first two episodes I guess about 5-6 times as I've shown it to friends to get them hooked on the show.

Of course I got the DVD's as they came out and I also got the complete box set...

Still having said that, I do remember thinking the show got slightly off course at the end of season one where the pacing was too fast for my taste.
    I remember being very happy and excited about John Ross and Elena's engagement for a whole of 20 minutes before they broke them up in the same episode! :(

• Like Like x 1
  17. Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas

Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,581
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Jacqueline Bisset? Well, a little bit. But Emma the character will look and act a lot more like Charlene Tilton´s Lucy. Remember her...?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,770
    Well on the surface maybe, but Charlene's Lucy had that look in her eyes, charm and bubbly fun personality. Emma mostly just came across as the ice-princess most of the time as she was so cold.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    And it's exactly that coldness in her eyes that looks so familiar.
    I've IMDB'd her and there's nothing in that list that I have seen.

20. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,602
    I know what you mean. All of that external stuff is just a distraction.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1