TNT Dallas For Beginners

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Willie Oleson, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    Or does she look like Adrienne Van Leyden?

upload_2017-8-22_22-27-4.png

2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,640
    Medals:
    I think it's someone more "All-American" and "outdoorsy" than that. I did consider Grace Kelly but that's not it either.

I spent ages trying to pinpoint who it was Elena reminded me of. I ended up with a combination of Victoria Beckham and Ali McGraw, but I'm still not quite sure that's it.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,877
    In part TNT Dallas had something going for it. I liked Christopher's back-story in alternative energies, it felt to me like a natural fit for Christopher. John Ross meanwhile was following tradition by drilling for filthy oil. It's telling how this series should have progressed when Christopher tells John Ross, "Oil is the past..." I also liked your comment, "One barks, the other one bites." It's that push/pull effect which works well in the history of Dallas. TNT Dallas should have been developed much like Game of Thrones. John Ross, Christopher, Lucas (where the hell was that kid?), Pamela Rebecca, Margaret, James and the missing child of Cally's all fighting for control of supreme leader of Ewing Oil.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    upload_2017-8-23_0-20-2.png
    :think: I'm still not 100% sure.
    Or Barnes Global.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Medals:
    I find that often to be the case. The second time around you can enjoy a thing for what it is without being disappointed about what it isn't.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    Episode 2.2. certainly lives up to its title "Venomous Creatures".

So many twists and turns, and "dysfunctional families" doesn't even begin to describe it. I think the producer liked Falcon Crest too.

upload_2017-8-24_2-28-20.png
    John Ross, watching a happy Christopher and Elena. Nothing beats good old jealousy when it comes to drama and - with a little help from "Pa" - he's transformed into a true Dallas rat. Not only what he does, but his whole presence. I always find it so fascinating when that happens.

"This isn't about money, it's about crushing Christopher, that's what you want".
    upload_2017-8-24_2-41-20.png

Hmm, I'm not yet convinced that she's a bad egg. Or maybe it's because I like her so much in everthing she does.
    But Cliff's adopted chauffeur/vice-president of Barnes Global doesn't exactly put the welcome mat out when Pamela returns to her father's company, which means more power struggles!
    Incidentally, how do you fans call her: Pamela or Rebecca?

Bobby learns the truth about Emma.
    "My father rescued me that day at the fair. He saved me from my mother".
    upload_2017-8-24_2-57-57.png

It's so good I almost cried.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,919
    Medals:
    Hint: It's Pambecca.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    Then I'm going to call her Rebamela.

• Funny Funny x 6
  9. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,877
    Willie, I was looking forward to your reaction to this episode, with particular interest to the scene when Bobby arrives at the Ryland mansion and finally meets Judith Brown Ryland. Everything about this scene was on point. The menacing looking butler, the dark interior walls and then...we meet the mother/grandmother, standing calmly in front of the fire, like meeting the devil at the gates of hell. Judith's delivery, "My son isn't home" still gives me chills upon re-watching the scene on youtube. It's pitch perfect. Even the clothes she was wearing would have received a slight nod of approval from Alexis.

What was so surprising was seeing Judith Light play such a character as my only recollection was watching her in Who's The Boss?" Anyway, this scene between Judith and Bobby was electric, I even liked the actress playing Emma at this point. I won't say anymore...enjoy.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,732
    Medals:
    I never liked Judith Ryland or Emma. There was just something about them that never appealed to me. With Judith it was possibly that she was too over the top for my taste. :(

I did like Ann and Harris Ryland however.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,627
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    :clap: "Toni likes..."

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,877
    I thought their initial introduction was good. I won't say anymore in case Willie has yet to see the remaining Season 2 and 3. I will agree with you on Ann though. I liked her. I thought Brenda had good chemistry with Patrick and Linda. As for Harris? Didn't care really for the character. Wasn't menacing enough.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    I can see a little bit of "Fallon Carrington" in Emma.
    Speaking of venomous creatures, there's a lot of mind-poisoning going on in episode 2.3.
    Mostly to get things done, and always to get a bigger piece of the pie.

Judith Ryland, however, feels she's above all that, and insults everyone right there and then.
    She reminds me of Livia Soprano.

Elena's brother returns to Dallas and he's looking for oil.
    upload_2017-8-27_4-42-43.png
    He doesn't seem to have ulterior motives or dark secrets, which is exactly why I suspect him.

Tommy Sutter's disappearance has not gone unnoticed, and it doesn't take long before everyone's on top of it.
    P. Rebecca tells Rebecca - honestly, first two Martas and now two Rebeccas? - she tells her to take the money and go home, but Tommy's sister wants more money.
    And then she also disappears...

JR finds himself on the internet.
    upload_2017-8-27_4-54-43.png
    He's no longer the Most Important Character of the show, but he's still scheming in the background.
    It's strange to watch these episodes knowing that he's going to leave "Dallas" permanently.

Ann Ewing's sanity is pushed to the limits when Harris tells her why he took Emma, and that she will forever be deprived of those special mother-child moments.
    And that's a moment Harris is not going to forget.
    upload_2017-8-27_5-7-56.png
    I'd love to hear mother Ryland's opinion on this matter.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    Last night I had a dream about Pamela. We met in a hotel room, and as soon as I entered the room I threw myself into her arms and started to cry like a baby.
    I told her that they shouldn't have cancelled her, and asked her if there was a way to get Pamela back on TV.
    She was very calm (or afraid) and said "I don't think so" and I cried even more.

Sooo...anyway, the show continues to be excellent in episodes 2.4 and 2.5.
    If my memory serves me right, they promised us a grittier Dallas version.
    upload_2017-9-1_2-39-20.png
    Here we see Frank almost vomiting when he digs up Tommy Sutter's body.
    Yes, being "the man who cleans up" is a dirty job, but it gets even dirtier if you're in cahoots with JR Ewing.

There's so much scheming and double-crossing going on, and this particular episode felt a bit like "I, Claudius" or one of the other Ancient Roman tragedies.
    Judith's love for her son turns out to be even more disturbing than I thought.
    upload_2017-9-1_2-45-29.png

The other mother, Sue Ellen, helps her son to get in touch with his father's arch-enemy Cliff Barnes.
    Apparently John Ross doesn't like JR's plan to eliminate Pamela, and therefore her chance to become shareholder of Ewing Energies.
    And that seals the fate of Frank Ashkani.
    upload_2017-9-1_2-58-7.png
    His last scene with Cliff was great, but too short. I would have liked to see more of them because I find his background story very intriguing.
    He confesses to the murder of Sutter, takes a deadly pill and dies - and with him the truth about Sutter's death.
    The Barnes princess is safe, although Cliff treats her like an employee.
    It seems to me that she and John Ross have something in common, besides super-hot Dallas sex.

This is probably not the best office for people with acrophobia.
    upload_2017-9-1_3-8-31.png
    Where's the wall??

Episode 2.5 is courtroom drama. Yippee!
    upload_2017-9-1_3-16-59.png
    I adore her - where did they find these great actors?
    Btw, I've decided that she's a Charlene Tilton/Uma Thurman hybrid. But maybe I'll change my mind again.

Ann Ewing is found guilty of the charge of attempted murder (I think that's what it was).
    upload_2017-9-1_3-22-14.png
    Why is this family always in trouble?

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,489
    The Harris and Judith stuff always seriously cracked me up. Just what the heck did they have going on between them? Lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    Not all the old feuds are forgiven and forgotten, but one particular Dallas character has gotten over her bitterness.
    upload_2017-9-2_4-23-37.png
    She knows that John Ross is using her, and in this scene he sneakily puts her on the spot, forcing her to show her loyalty.
    But, realizing how much of JR is in John Ross, she seems to accept the situation for what it is - and I can't blame her.

This new alliance causes a lot of commotion at Southfork, and I found it exhilarating to watch.
    I guess it was supposed to be a double-drama bonus, but I almost felt disappointed when Sanchez and his goons interrupted that scene.
    But at least it was an opportunity for Drew to save the day, and for the writers to wrap up Sanchez' storyline.
    Well of course they could have let him rot in jail, but somehow that never seems to be an option in SoapLand.

Either way, Sue Ellen and a very pregnant Pamela Barnes attend their first board meeting at Ewing Energies, and this setup just screams "TITANS".
    upload_2017-9-2_4-56-36.png
    The romanticus in me wants Christopher and Pamela back together, I'm still rooting for her because she had the disadvantage of not being Christopher's "True Love".
    OK, that's a contradiction, but what I mean is that they both went into that marriage with a lie, and from a romantic point of view, his lie was bigger than hers.
    And I don't think he should get away with it:)

Suddenly, there's a woman with too much and too red hair. My soap-radar tells me she's going to like Christopher - a lot.
    upload_2017-9-2_5-46-29.png
    Hello, Katherine?:D

Meanwhile, Sue Ellen tries to charm ex-brother-in-law Gary Ewing in order to get him on Team John Ross.
    upload_2017-9-2_5-58-10.png
    "Not that I don't appreciate the attention, but you've never been this nice to me before".

Mother and son Ryland aren't just villains or criminals, they're monsters.
    upload_2017-9-2_6-3-48.png
    They intend to ship Emma back to London a.s.a.p., but it's too late - Emma's already gone to Southfork.
    It's as if the writers pull out all the stops to please me personally.

Christopher's methanol car *cough*Knots Landing*cough* wins the race, and I'm glad John Ross didn't win this round.
    upload_2017-9-2_6-13-17.png
    It's too simple to just sabotage everything.

Episode 2.7 ends with a bizarre phone conversation.
    upload_2017-9-2_6-17-29.png
    We can still see JR, but his voice sounds very strange - almost as if the sentences are edited from other sources.
    I think I heard gunshots...:eek:

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    JR Ewing is dead. And I know he died because Larry Hagman had passed away. Actually I'm not familiar with all the circumstances - was this episode filmed after or shortly before he died? How much time not-filming was there between episode 2.7 and 2.8?
    Come to think of it, did he do any scenes with the cast in the previous episode?

Anyway, it was a beautiful episode, from the opening sequence with the slow music to the last scene with Bobby.
    The producers really outdid themselves, because it was so perfectly balanced.

It was also a difficult episode because it felt like watching two different realities (that word probably doesn't exist in the plural, but I'll make an exception for DALLAS).
    Mostly, my heart went out to the actors, who lost a co-star and a friend (some of them anyway), and also the fans, I'm sure it was painful to watch.

Two ex-wives and one ex-mistress:
    upload_2017-9-3_3-22-36.png
    It was very nice to see them again. Thank you, ladies.

Of course the big question is: how is Cliff Barnes going to react?
    upload_2017-9-3_3-25-23.png
    "I came to pay my disrespect - and good riddance!"
    I couldn't help but chuckle, and I'm glad they chose to do it this way - and not some out-of-character sappy scene.

Sue Ellen is a little drunk during the funeral, and I think that's how it should be because he's always found a way to make her drink.
    And this was his last punch (no punch intended).
    upload_2017-9-3_3-37-29.png
    Poor Linda Gray, this must have been her most difficult Dallas scene ever.
    Incidentally, why is there an American flag? JR was not a political or military person?

Away from the horrible Rylands, Emma starts to flourish when she and John Ross are having grief-sex in the car.
    It appears to me that she's a character of extremes, this could be fun.

And then the last scene with Bobby/Patrick Duffy and it's very heartrending.
    upload_2017-9-3_3-54-43.png
    Thankfully, JR's legacy is going to keep them busy for a while. Did he really find Pam, or is it just a way to sidetrack Bobby and Christopher, thus giving John Ross the opportunity to strike back and take everything away from them?
    I've seen quite a few soaps, and I know how cheeky some of these dead soap-characters can be.

• Winner Winner x 5
  18. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,919
    Medals:
    It's my understanding that Larry passed away while they were filming season two and his plot was going to be far more complicated. Then they took a holiday break, he got sick and well... they did the best they could. I think it was a very nice send-off all considering - the show must go on! I think Sue Ellen relapsing was by far the most realistic it got. It made sense - a lot of people hated it - including Linda Gray herself despite it's giving her the best scenes of her career.

Oh well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    I wonder what his last scene was...it looked as if he (JR & Larry Hagman) made that phonecall to John Ross, but he didn't speak on-screen so it could have been taken from another scene.

20. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,919
    Medals:
    I actually think it even might've been taken from season one? I think the "Mexican Sleazy Hotel Room" was actually at Southfork? Someone pointed that out, so sorry if I broke the magic here!

But it seems like nuDallas kept shooting scenes and cutting them out. This probably worked in their favour for once.