TNT Dallas For Beginners

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Willie Oleson, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Zable

Zable Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +810
    Here you go:

The English version: Come Unto Me (The Mavericks)

In Spanish, it’s Ven Hacia Mi

Enjoy :)

• Winner Winner x 3
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,966
    Medals:
    :thank: Zable!

3. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +810
  4. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +810
    Hmm, do you think by passing on Cliff's feud to the Ramoses and sending both Drew & Elena to Mexico, Cidre & Co had decided to put their own spin to this soapy sappy song?

Ok, I admit it. I'm just looking for an excuse to showcase the fab Raul Malo. :forgive:

5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,966
    Medals:
    Well, it looks as if season 3 is going to turn everything upside down, and I'm trembling with excitement.

Elena accepts Cliff's offer to act as his proxy for Barnes Global, but to her it's a matter of justice, not revenge.
    Of course Cliff couldn't care less what her motives are, as long as she helps him to bring the Ewings down.

Ewing Energies is now Ewing Global, personally I would have preferred Ewing Universal.
    Elena pretends that she still wants to be a part of it, and offers her geological expertise, but of course it's only a smokescreen for corporate espionage.
    She even bought herself Nana Mouskouri glasses to appear more espionage-esque.
    upload_2017-9-12_14-10-24.png

And while the Ewings are planning to take over various oil and methane resources, a dashingly handsome man enters the boardroom.
    upload_2017-9-12_14-32-4.png
    He introduces himself as Nicolas Trevino, who now acts as Mr. Barnes' proxy of one third of BG, which gives him the right to vote against selling off BG assets (the money they need to finance Ewing Global business ventures).

Emma may have given up her drug addiction, but now, freed from her father's control, she's riding on a high as the new CEO of Ryland Transport.
    And she's working hard on becoming the next Kristin Shepard, and perhaps a bit of Holly Harwood too.
    She has no idea that Ryland's contacts - the Cartel that supplies the narcotics - has managed to get him out of jail, but they won't accept any more "mistakes".

Despite his countless encounters with Emma, too-sexy-for-his-own-good John Ross proposes to Pamela "the way it should be done", and Sue Ellen is delighted to organize the wedding.

Nicolas Trevino turns out to be the rich man who lives in the secluded villa, and he also happens to be Drew and Elena's sort-of-stepbrother (Maquin?).
    upload_2017-9-12_15-7-14.png
    Together they discuss how JR destroyed their father's life, and now is the time to take back what belongs to them.
    I think that makes perfect sense.
    My question is: can she really trust him, or is he going to double-cross her and Cliff?

JR had those land deeds switched, it was nothing but ordinary theft (rather than cleverly outfoxing a business rival).
    And yet the Ewings are now glorifying JR as "that rascal" who saved the family. Or did he?

True, Cliff should definitely pay for his crime, but the fact remains that he's in prison for something he hasn't done.
    I don't think this is something Bobby would have wanted to do, but he figured it was the only chance to beat the dangerous Barnes-Ryland combo.
    However, Sue Ellen had assured that TESHA's claim would be reversed (regardless of who sabotaged the rig), and since the Ewings now own the majority of Barnes Global, there's nothing Cliff could have done to destroy Ewing Energies.
    People always have a choice, and Bobby chose to do it the way JR had planned.
    And somehow I get the feeling that it comes at a price, starting with the loss of integrity - the one thing Bobby had, and JR hadn't.

JR framed Cliff from the grave, is it possible he's corrupting the Ewings from the great beyond too? Is this the dark side of his legacy?
    I find it utterly fascinating to view them in a different light, and it's also the reason I can't resist rooting for Elena & Co.
    For now at least.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,338
    Medals:
    Here's what he does to stay in shape:

:D

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 4
  7. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,321
    This is what I detested the most about TNT Dallas, time-shifting events into Lorimar Dallas. It was Cynthia & Co's desperate creative attempts at justifying the Ramos family. I seethe with anger how this irrelevant family upstaged the Ewing family. Where is Miss Ellie and her shotgun when I needed her most.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +810
    Joaquin. :hugs:

Please don't tempt me. :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +810
    Drats. You did tempt me... with off-topic trivia.

The name Elena is rooted in the Greek Hélène.

Hélène is, of course, the only daughter of Iōánna 'Nana' Mouskouri. (And Nicholas, Nana's only son.)

TNT Dallas's Elena, with her long dark hair, does remind me somewhat of Hélène.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,966
    Medals:
    The women of TNT DALLAS are standing their ground in episode 3.2.

Sue Ellen refuses to stand by while her son his throwing away his chance for happiness.
    upload_2017-9-13_21-39-28.png
    In essence, she's asking Bum for proof that she doesn't want, but if it's there then she has to know.

Carmen is very upset when she learns that her daughter and Joaquin are involved with Cliff Barnes.
    upload_2017-9-13_21-53-1.png
    And I think she has good reasons to be worried. Cliff Barnes is so unreliable and two-faced he would even backstab himself.
    Later, at the Southfork barbecue, she makes it very clear to Joaquin not to underestimate her fury in case he should lure Drew and Elena to the dark side.
    This of course is a Catholic reference, not a supernatural one.
    Latin people have a flair for the melodramatic, it's in their blood or something, and this scene oozes with love, tradition and tragedy.

Thanks to her granddaughter, Judith is released from the clinic.
    The Clinic is SoapLand's equivalent for "Hell", it's the last place a SoapLander wants to be.
    It's the place where characters go when their presence is temporarily unwarranted, and everyone can put them there so they never see it coming.
    Luckily, anyone can get them out of The Clinic just-like-that. It's never explained how they do it, but suddenly they're "back from the clinic".
    upload_2017-9-13_22-47-4.png
    Unlike Carmen, Judith is not worried at all when Harris informs her about his deal with the Mexicans. In fact, she's ready to take over.

Pamela thinks John Ross flirts too much with other women.
    John Ross swears to God that there is absolutely nothing going on. But since "nothing" doesn't exist (because it's nothing) this sentence is inherently a contradiction and a lie.
    And even if it isn't, it always sounds like a lie. "There's nothing going on". Yeah, right!
    upload_2017-9-13_22-47-56.png
    "If I ever find out you've been stepping out on me, God's wrath will be the least of your worries".

In order to give him a taste of his own medicine, she dances a passionate dance with Joaquin/Nicolas.
    upload_2017-9-13_23-1-21.png

Christopher is enamoured with a pretty young cowgirl. She likes him too, but she doesn't like to wait for his advances.
    upload_2017-9-13_23-12-3.png
    There's something typically "Australian" about this character, but I don't know why.

Of course Bum finds evidence of John Ross' adultery, but instead of giving this information to Sue Ellen, he confronts John Ross.
    Being the last link to JR's life, Bum carries a weight that cannot be dismissed.
    upload_2017-9-13_23-26-46.png
    "Grow into your father's greatness, not his weakness".

It takes more than an armed and extremely dangerous Mexican to impress Judith Ryland.
    upload_2017-9-13_23-30-45.png
    :dance:

But it is Harris who comes up with this episode's final an amazing twist!
    upload_2017-9-13_23-33-48.png
    He's working with the CIA, and the drugs cartel isn't a real drugs cartel. They're revolutionaries who use the drugs traffic as a way to finance their military coup.
    They better find Emma a handsome prince, because this storyline screams out for a royal wedding.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,966
    Medals:
    Christopher visits Cliff in jail to confront him with the peculiar connection between Cliff and Nicolas Trevino.
    "How very JR of you to come in here to accuse me of underhandedness, while it's you and your family who framed me for a crime I did not commit".
    Cliff is convinced that the truth will come out and then they'll set him free.
    upload_2017-9-14_12-3-3.png
    Strange, but I almost felt sorry for him. Sure, he deserves his comeuppance for the rig explosion, but injustice is still injustice, regardless of Christopher's personal feelings.

Sue Ellen and Bum are having another get-together, but this time she's punishing him with apologies.
    upload_2017-9-14_12-13-45.png
    She pretends to believe that Bum had told her the truth about John Ross and Emma, it was probably just her imagination, caused by her late ex-husband's many infidelities. And now she's very very sorry that she had asked Bum to spy on John Ross.
    It's a good example of emotional manipulation, because they both know that Bum had lied to her.
    This scene reminded me of a conversation between Sable Colby and her sister Francesca, and how she "praised" her sister for being so loyal, trustworthy and supportive.
    And since both women knew that Francesca was being none of those things, it created a magnificently awkward scene.

Later, after he's been patronized by John Ross, Bum confesses to Sue Ellen that he had lied to her.
    Maybe John Ross should learn not to take loyalty for granted!

The bickering about fracking on Southfork continues, but this time John Ross finds himself outfoxed by a chicken.
    upload_2017-9-14_12-46-26.png
    Fracking may endanger the existence of the lesser prairie chicken, who just "happen to live" on Southfork land, according to uncle Bobby.
    The investigation by the IUCN may take months, maybe longer - therefore, definitely no fracking for the time being.

Pamela's sexy-lingerie-surprise has the effect of a cold shower, caused by the fact that the perverted Emma had seduced John Ross wearing that very same outfit just a few hours ago.
    upload_2017-9-14_13-14-57.png
    Emma has become a problem, a loose cannon, and I wonder how they're going to deal with her.
    If I were Pamela, I'd have her committed to a sanatorium, far away outside the borders of SoapLandia.
    Or at least give her a proper whipping!

Elena and Joaquin's relationship starts to blossom into something more romantic.
    Although not related by blood, they grew up as brother and sister, so there is something incestuous about it.
    Elena is getting closer to the "dark side", and this time Cliff Barnes has nothing to do with it.

Christopher has been following Nicolas Trevino's trail, hoping to expose a shady deal between him and Barnes, which would prevent Trevino to act as Barnes' proxy on Ewing Global.
    Eventually, this leads him to the secluded and heavily-guarded villa - and the mistress of the house, the lovely Mrs. Trevino.
    upload_2017-9-14_13-51-57.png

!

Yet another great and very soapy episode:spinning:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,433
    Medals:
    There's something great about Cliff and Christopher meeting in New DALLAS, especially when one mentally flashes back to their scenes in the old show.

[​IMG]

But then I love all of Cliff's prison scenes. It's almost like he's been banished to some dark underworld.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,966
    Medals:
    I've never rated Cliff as one of my favourite Dallas characters, but TNT Dallas has changed that.
    I also think the shows complement each other, because it feels like a poignant flashback or a poignant flash-forward (kinda like that last episode of Six Feet Under), and certainly in the grand scheme of things.
    I guess it doesn't work if one considers details like the Oil Baron's Ball to be more important.

• Like Like x 1
  14. James from London

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,433
    Medals:
    Yes, re-watching the old series after watching New DALLAS, there are lots of scenes that take on new significance. JR's relationships with Sue Ellen and John Ross feel more meaningful to me now, knowing how they'll end up.

For me, those kind of details are really fascinating -- what's remained the same, what's been "reinvented" -- but there's no right or wrong either way.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,966
    Medals:
    My theme for episode 3.4 is "déjà vu", because the set up is somewhat similar to the first episodes.

There is going to be a wedding and there's tension in the air.
    John Ross disappears because of a quid pro quo with Harris Ryland, and the situation with the bride and the other ladies is getting a little overheated.
    upload_2017-9-18_12-40-44.png

Ryland offers John Ross the opportunity to blackmail a railroad commissioner who has the power to shut down the Sierra Club's Endangered Species investigation (not sure how these entities are related) and then he's free to drill on Southfork.
    In return, Harris wants the Cartel files that Emma stole from him.
    This scheming and bargaining harks back to the first time John Ross plotted against Bobby who had stopped him from drilling.
    Nicolas "Joaquin" Trevino appears to be more sinister than I thought, so perhaps he'll step into Vicente's shoes.
    Of course I have no idea what's going to happen next, but in this episode it looks a bit familiar.

Back at the ranch, Sue Ellen confronts her son with his sexual relationship with Emma.
    Well...maybe not all of it.
    I don't know if she cares all that much about Pamela, but somehow the situation triggers the old anger ("Just like your daddy!"), and she's holding John Ross responsible.
    upload_2017-9-18_13-32-30.png
    "Is that alcohol I smell in your breath, mama?"
    But that question has nothing to do with concern for his mother's well-being, and there seems to be some kind of power shift going on.
    He's The Man in control (he doesn't need her anymore) and she's the hysterical, drunken mother - and that even harks back to oldDallas.

Either way, the wedding continues and there are lots of rich, beautiful and happy people, it's a day of joy and celebration.
    upload_2017-9-18_13-53-59.png
    And yet, it stinks. It stinks like a rotting cadaver covered with silk and roses, and 10 or 15 years from now everyone's going to ask "where did it all go wrong?"
    I'd say right from the beginning!

Bobby is furious when John Ross tells him he can't stop him from fracking anymore, but Sue Ellen thinks she can help.
    At the same time, Harris and Judith are plotting a scheme against John Ross because they think he controls Emma, who has the rest of the incriminating files.
    But before he walks into Judith's office, we can see that Harris switches the flash drives, and this suggests he's giving his mother a fake one.
    upload_2017-9-18_14-6-58.png
    Maybe he plans to use the real one to blackmail her in case the situation requires it, or give it to the CIA.
    At this point I have no idea what game he's playing.

Roll on episode 3.5:)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,966
    Medals:
    When Ann catches John Ross coming out of Emma's bedroom, she can longer deny the problem that threatens the harmony on Southfork.
    That problem is Emma, and she tells her daughter that she won't allow her to wreck John Ross and Pamela's marriage.
    upload_2017-9-18_23-43-53.png
    Emma pushes the envelope when she accuses her mother of, well, pretty much everything - this was sort of acceptable when she still believed everything her father had told her.
    But this time it's pure malice, and that's the reason Ann throws her out.
    Later she regrets it because Emma could be in danger because of her father's involvement with the drugs cartel (it's not a traditional drugs cartel, but that doesn't make it less dangerous).
    When Ann informs Harris about the situation he panics, and he tells the CIA man he wants out.
    The CIA man calmly informs him there is nothing to "want" and orders Harris to continue with his mission.
    upload_2017-9-19_0-7-47.png
    But Harris has discovered some illegal-profit-stuff-things that could compromise the career of the dutiful CIA man, and he negotiates more manpower to protect his daughter.

Elena and Nicolas/Joaquin (they really love those double identities, don't they) are still digging for proof that the Ewings have framed Cliff for JR's murder.
    Elena is not as cold-blooded as her quasi-stepbrother, so I'm curious to know how far she will go to avenge her father's misfortune.
    upload_2017-9-19_0-15-44.png
    Pamela receives a call from her father. She's not really interested in what he has to say, but Cliff is very surprised that she believes that he killed JR.
    And somehow, that surprises her.
    This is one of those exciting "uh-oh" moments because we know that this was the ultimate flaw in Bobby's (well, JR's) plan to eliminate Cliff Barnes.
    If Pamela finds out about JR's post-mortem scheme, it could change everything!

In order to undo the damage done by John Ross, Sue Ellen tries to persuade the Governor to replace the railroad commissioner, the one with the woman-dressed-up-as-a-dog-fetish.
    She knew he would refuse because that man is a significant contributor to McConaughey's career, but she tricked him with a present: a bottle of JR Ewing bourbon.
    The cork of the bottle is bugged so they can record the underhanded strategy between the Governor and the railroad commissioner.
    upload_2017-9-19_0-42-8.png
    To be honest, I thought there was something cheesy 80s about it, but I can appreciate some unintentional humour every now and then.

And there's even more drama in the making, because Christopher Ewing's current sex-buddy - the dark-haired Kylie Minogue - has a child with John Ross' corrupt drilling foreman. The same guy who supplied Emma with the happy painkillers.
    upload_2017-9-19_0-52-33.png
    This story has a lot of potential, if properly intertwined with the other Southfork dramas.

In order to reactivate the deal with John Ross (icebreakers for Ewing Global's Antartic venture), Emma uses the information about Judith's side-business to blackmail her grandmother.
    Judith teaches Emma the principles of being "a smart whore", and being used by John Ross is anything but smart.
    "John Ross degrades you. If you think that's love then you're a worthless creature".
    upload_2017-9-19_1-3-34.png

This scene shows Judith's instinct for self-preservation but also genuine concern for her granddaughter.
    The question is: what does she value the most?

Judith is such a fabulous villain, especially now she's using a walking stick.
    upload_2017-9-19_1-7-19.png

She could have been one of those Cleopatra Jones adversaries!

Bobby and Sue Ellen's plan to bug the Governor's office pays off, and this time it's John Ross who explodes with anger. It's a terrific scene.
    upload_2017-9-19_1-20-26.png
    It looks as if John Ross has become a full-time villain now.
    But, looking back, it was a gradual process. In the first seasons I could still give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Which doesn't change the fact that both John Ross and Bobby have good arguments why they should or shouldn't drill on Southfork.

John Ross tells his mother that she's The Enemy now.

As Alexis Colby would say: What a bunch!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,966
    Medals:
    Episode 3.6.

Good Lord!
    :popcorn:

To be very continued.
    And speaking of continuation, they'd better not cancel this show, or else!:a2:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,321
    I could have lived with this diabolical Cliff Barnes if only Cynthia & Co had better explained his madness. In a weird way this is exactly how I thought Cliff would end up. Not evil, just mad! As I watch Lorimar Dallas for the umpteenth time Cliff's bizarre behavior escalates as the the series progresses until his heart to heart talk with Miss Ellie. Perhaps the creative types behind TNT Dallas should have premiered the episode with John Ross about to marry Pamela Rebecca but us the audience were clueless to her identity until the actual vows were being exchanged on the Southfork driveway. Just as the Minister is about to say is there any person opposing this union a helicopter lands on the Southfork lawn. Out steps daddy Cliff.

To me it would seem more logical that Cliff loses control when it's discovered his only child and daughter is about to marry a Ewing. The horror :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,966
    Medals:
    That's a nice alternative, except that it would erase two seasons worth of plotlines:D

John Ross is lobbying for votes to get Ewing Global to go public, which will raise the capital to bid on the Artic leases (it's amazing they're still available).
    The ulterior motive is to buy the majority of all those public shares which will put him at the helm of Ewing Global, and that's why he approaches Nicolas Trevino, who then pretends to become his ally.
    upload_2017-9-19_14-40-33.png

He promises his mother that he loves his wife and that he would never do anything to hurt Pamela. The affair with Emma was pure business, and now it's over - finito.
    Sue Ellen decides to give him the benefit of the doubt - and her vote for having EG go public.
    But then there's a delicious and terrible misunderstanding when she sees John Ross' secretary, Candace, coming out of his office - after he has rejected her advances.
    However, her comment towards Sue Ellen suggests otherwise.
    upload_2017-9-19_14-47-31.png
    The very idea that the nightmare is starting all over again is too much to bear.
    It's obvious to the viewer that she's taking it far too personal, one could even argue that John Ross' marriage is none of her business.
    Nevertheless, it's going to cost John Ross that precious vote during the board meeting.

All this betrayal (real and imagined) takes its toll on the relationship between mother and son, and Sue Ellen starts to drink heavily.
    And with the booze comes the drama. Big time!
    upload_2017-9-19_15-7-35.png

"I am NOT my father!"
    upload_2017-9-19_15-8-46.png

John Ross realizes that his mother's behaviour is out of control, and he can no longer rely on her support.
    OMG! They're taking Sue Ellen to the sanatorium!
    upload_2017-9-19_15-13-4.png
    How very tragic, but at the same time it automatically gives John Ross the authority to vote on behalf of his mother, shareholder of Ewing Global.
    And this time no-one and nothing is going to stop him!!

He thinks.:)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. James from London

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,433
    Medals:
    One of my favourite scenes in the whole Dallas-verse. There's just so much going on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1