Toddler Dies After Fall From Cruise Ship

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Sarah, Jul 10, 2019 at 11:14 AM.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,263
    Medals:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48927911

The family of a toddler who died after falling 11 storeys from an open window on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship has blamed the company for the accident.

Chloe Wiegand fell after her grandfather put her on the railing of a children's play area, believing there was glass there, the family claims.

Royal Caribbean said it was "deeply saddened" but would not comment further to respect the family's privacy.

The family's lawyer said there should have been a warning sign on the window.

The one-year-old died from the fall on Sunday while the ship was docked in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Attorney Michael Winkleman, of the Miami-based law firm Lipcon, Margulies, Alsina & Winkleman, told the BBC in a statement that Chloe's grandfather did not drop her, but she fell from an open pane that should have been closed securely.

Chloe and her grandfather were playing in a water zone for children on the ship, Mr Winkleman said.

"Chloe wanted to bang on the glass" as she did during her brother's hockey games when she fell out of the window.

He said "her grandfather thought there was glass just like everywhere else, but there was not, and she was gone in an instant".

"The family needs answers as to why there would be an open window in a wall full of fixed windows in a kids' play area? Why would you have the danger without any warning, sign, or notice?"

2. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Weirdly enough, it involves the South Bend police community again. Mayor Pete Buttigieg’s bailiwick. Chloe was the daughter of police officer Alan Wiegand.

I’ve read several news reports about this fatal incident, including the above, but mostly stating they were in the dining room; and the details vary, including that the grandpa had told police he lost his grip on the child when he dangled her outside a window. I also read that the grandpa had stood her on a railing so she could look out the window.

What sticks in my mind is a comment I saw posted under one of these online reports, I forget which one: the poster said they’d been on that ship Freedom of the Seas many times and the railing – didn’t specify the location, so I don’t know if all the ship’s railings were similarly positioned or if the poster was meaning the actual railing in question (but where?) – was a foot away from the window. Poster also said the windows don’t have any kind of ledge to perch on. The poster clearly doubted the grandpa’s version of things as reported there (or rather, what the family lawyer said happened).

Now, if it’s true that the grandpa had stood her on the railing so she could look out the window & if it’s true that the railing in question was a foot away from the window, then I’m left wondering why an 18-month toddler standing on a railing a foot away from the window didn’t lose her balance and fall between the railing and wall when she reached out to bang on the glass in the window… I think she wouldn’t have if grandpa was holding on to her legs to anchor her, and in that case why would she have slipped out? ….More specifically, how could a toddler slip out if the lower part of her body was on a railing a foot away from the open port hole/window? How could her centre of gravity have been ‘high’ enough to send her tipping out of the window from a position on the railing?

The lawyer has said there should be video surveillance available. Let’s hope the authorities have it and the family gets to see it, and the public gets to know what it shows, to end the speculation and counter claims.

Whatever the case, I do feel for the family, grandpa included. The reports that the family plans to sue has riled up vitriol from some folk who believe he’s to blame and the discussion has been about personal negligence. But I read at least one report saying the family were suing to get answers.

.…I understand why that latter might be necessary, because of what I learned about the cruise ship industry watching the SBS Dateline video Lost At Sea about cruise ship passengers who mysteriously disappeared. I found the segment which begins by featuring Merri Larsen’s search for her son [starts circa 10:16 minute mark] and onwards particularly interesting:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 9:16 AM

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 5)