Top 20: List Your Favorite TV-series of all time - the results are in!

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Karin Schill, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,354
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    For moi and Miss Piggy, it´s a way of life, not a TV show!!

[​IMG]

"Hi! It´s moi my fans...!"​

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,321
    As my bud @Karin Schill had trouble limiting this to 20 shows, I'm having trouble coming up with 20. :confuse: Came up with eight or nine immediately, and spent a slow day at work picking my own brain to add an additional ten. It would be tacky to include a few more simply to fill out the list (rather than having a genuine list of all time faves), so I'll have to keep concentrating on the final two or three and add them later. From the look of my list, you'd think I haven't turned on a TV since 1999. :D

Note: if you're looking for high-brow Masterpiece Theater-type programs, you'll have to look elsewhere.

1. Another World (daytime soap opera, 1964-99) I arranged most of my high-school and college career around getting to watch it every day "live".

2. Knots Landing (nighttime soap, 1979-93) Thursday nights have never been the same since it was cancelled.

3. Doctor Who (british sci-fi, 1963 onwards, more or less) I still slightly prefer the original, not the reboot.

4. Soap (sitcom/satire, 1977-81) Brilliant mix of comedy, drama, parody, controversy, and soap opera.

5. The Golden Girls (1985-92, sitcom) I think everybody knows why this show belongs on a list like this.

6. Monty Python's Flying Circus (1969-74, British sketch comedy)
    7. Benson (1979-86, sitcom)
    8. Mama's Family (1983-90, sitcom)
    9. Match Game (various incarnations, most notably 1973-1981, game show)
    10. Scarecrow and Mrs. King (1983-1987, comedy-adventure)
    11. Highlander (1992-98, adventure)
    12. Good Neighbors (1975-78, British sitcom)
    13. Murphy Brown (1988-98, sitcom)
    14. Empty Nest (1988-95, sitcom)
    15. To the Manor Born (1979-81, British sitcom)
    16. The Nanny (1993-99, sitcom)
    17. The Edge of Night (1956-84, soap opera)
    18. Falcon Crest (1981-89, nighttime soap opera)

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,915
    Yes indeed. And I forgot to include it on mine so I'm glad it's here.

Another one I couldn't quite include. The Good Life - as it was originally titled - is memorable to me for a number of reasons. The quality of writing and performance and the themes of the series really impressed me when watching on DVD a couple of years ago - all things that had completely passed me by when I'd dipped into the occasional repeat when I was young.

It's most memorable, though, for being my cat's favourite TV theme. He usually never takes any notice at all of the TV, but when I was binge watching this he would sit in front of the screen and I'd watch the back of his head sweeping in a clockwise circle again and again as he literally watched the birdie.

He recognised the music, and those first few seconds of the intro would bring him trotting into the room to get his fix. Then he'd just go back to whatever he was doing.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,915
    I'd love to know more about why this made your list. It's something that I saw occasionally when it first aired here and always liked, but I'm guessing that it was probably shown at random times in my region and so was impossible to follow with any regularity. It might be nice to check it out.

My one memory of the show is that a line of dialogue in a Christmas episode in which Amanda was being held hostage and told her captor she had children whose stockings she needed to fill. I'm not sure where I was at in my belief at the time, but I do recall it was still a bit of a sensitive subject and I was slightly horrified that the words were spoken out loud.

5. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,492
    Oh I loved this when I was little and when i think of Jesus I think of Robert Powell (and could never get over the fact that "Jesus" was married to gorgeous Babs from pans People

this scene still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck

Such great casting and stars in this drama from Zefferelli

I loved when Ian Holm says Now it begins

Great drama - bought the DVD a long time ago and always did it out at easter

• Like Like x 2
  6. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,492
    Oh I agree - She IS Miss Marple - perfect casting,
    Geraldine McEwan and the other one who replaced her have me running to the hills to take cover!! UGH!

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,492
    Would never confess to it but secretly loved it and used to make sure I got the early train home from school on a Thurs to see it.

My mum used to annoy me by saying pat Duffy looked like Micheal Landon, always disagreed with her but I think she was probably right!

The Olesons Rocked, the Ingalls were way too goody goody and mother Caroline and sickly child actors playing Carrie should have met a nasty end!

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,321
    Re: Scarecrow and Mrs. King
    Back in this period, we still had what the networks called "the family hour". This show perfectly walked a line between being family-friendly and being an adventurous, spy-vs.-spy show with (perceived) high stakes. I especially loved the romantic pairing of Lee/Amanda (Jackson/Boxleitner), and how they injected a fair amount of humor into the interactions without making Amanda (the newbie) into the butt of jokes. They could tell exciting stories without resorting to guts being splattered all over the screen. The show is now horribly dated (heck, it was dated within a few years of the fall of the Soviet Union) but the character interactions and the chemistry of the leads still resonates. Amanda's "secret life" saving the day for the USA was amusing but engaging.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,217
    I think I was in infant or junior school when this was first aired and loved the series but it wasn't until I watched in again as an adult that I realised just how outstanding it really was. The cast was amazing and how they managed to get so many top stars in a single production I don't know. When are you likely to see actors of the calibre of Sir Lawrence Olivier, Sir Ralph Richardson, Donald Pleasance, Peter Ustinov, Anthony Quinn, Rod Steiger, James Earl Jones, Christopher Plummer, Ernest Borgnine, Anne Bancroft, Olivia Hussy and James Mason together in a single TV series again?

It was such a lush production and a really compelling telling of the story of Jesus and completely accessible and enjoyable to Christians and non-Christians.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,217
    When Scarecrow and Mrs King was first screened in the UK it was shown at prime time (I think at 8pm on a Tuesday) but later seasons were shown at about 2 o'clock in the afternoon which was when I first watched in during school holidays. It was a great series and I always wanted to see season 1 to see have the premise of the series was set up.

It was a great mix of action adventure, mystery and humour and the 2 leads always gave first rate performances. Although it was a bit far fetched at times it was always fun and great entertainment and for the time, it was great to see a strong female character drive a show without ever having to resort to getting into a bikini. It was definitely one of the great series that came out of the 1980s.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,492
    same here, it was also the time I remember falling in love with the wonderful voices of James Earl Jones and James Mason

And long before Ian mcShane was Lovejoy or Don Lockwood I thought he was great as Judas. I remember thinking Olivia Hussey was so pretty

the downside of J O N was some of it was badly dubbed.

12. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,321
    Not sure if anybody cares any more :D but after some deep thought I would like to add the last two to my list:

19. Dark Shadows (1966-1971, daytime soap opera; 1991 reboot as a primetime soap)--Afton would kill me if I didn't mention this show!
    20. Waiting For God (1990-94, British sitcom)--very "American" in its style, yet still unmistakably British.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,222
    Still quite difficult to make a top 20 list, so I hope I have made the right choices. ;)

01. Dallas – (1978-1991)
    Dallas will always be my favorite TV-show, and don't forgot that iconic theme song always makes me happy. I can't wait to re-watch all the episodes again on DVD after my holiday. :)

02. Knots Landing – (1979-1993)
    Even though I have not seen all seasons, but I am definitely a fan of the series. Knots Landing has one of the most beautiful opening theme songs

03. Friends – (1994-2004)
    I'm not a really a fan of comedy TV-shows, but Friends got me hooked from the beginning to the final end.

04. Dynasty – (1981-1989)
    Dynasty is just another iconic TV-series of the 80's, how doesn't love the cat-fights and all the glitter and glamour.

05. The Walking Dead – (2010-present)
    I am so addicted to this series that I want to watch all episode in one time, it's also one of the best TV-series I've seen in years.

06. Melrose Place – (1992-1999)
    When Dynasty and Dallas ended I thought there will never be a great soap opera again, but with Melrose Place I found all the elements again, cat-fights, backstabbing, love affairs, explosions, kidnapping, and business problems.

07. 24 – (2001-2010)
    This series had a great new concept with every episode, I was very addicted to this series, certainly one of my favorite action series

08. Miami Vice – (1984-1989)
    Love this TV-show, had great music and a cool looking opening credits and theme song.

09. Falcon Crest – (1981-1990)
    Falcon Crest should actually end up a bit higher in my top 20., but i watch Falcon Crest for the first time on TV in 2005/2006, while Dallas, Dynasty and Knots Landing were no longer broadcast on TV. But Falcon Crest is certainly one of the best 80's prime time soap series I've seen.

10. Hunter – (1984-1991)
    This TV-show is sure one of my all-time favorite cop shows, The working relationship between Dee Dee and Rick was also great to see.

11. The Bionic Woman – (1976-1978)
    Who does not dream of running as fast as Jaime, a great series with the beautiful Lindsay Wagner, the story-lines was sometimes very Sci-fi, but the relationship between Jaime and Oscar was sometimes very deep. I really need to see this series very soon again on DVD.

12. Dallas [TNT] – (2012-2014)
    I really enjoyed the new Dallas series it was even better than I expected, and before you realized the episode was over and i have to wait for another week. It's a pity that this series did not continue because I think there was still enough story-lines to continue for a few more seasons.

13. Return To Eden – (1983-1986)
    I was hooked on this show, it was a amazing great TV-show with a amazing story-line and cast, to bad it ended to soon, in my eyes it could have been the Australian version of Dynasty.

14. Magnum P.I. – (1980-1988)
    How doesn't love the environment a great place to shoot a TV-series, I love the theme song, and the funny moments between Magnum and Higgins.

15. Charlie’s Angels – (1976-1981)
    Love this show, especially the first 3 seasons with Kelly, Sabrina, Jill and Kris.

16. Queer As Folk – (2000-2005)
    Another great TV-show that got me hooked, one of the best series about gay men and lesbian woman, it's also the best series I've seen in the '2000's.

17. Orphan Black – (2013-2017)
    One of the best TV-shows I've seen on Netflix, this show really got me hooked from the start to the final end.

18. MacGyver – (1985-1992)
    I love this show, full with action and paperclip bomb's. ;)

19. The A-Team – (1983-1987)
    Another great series that I have seen in my childhood years, even my grandfather was a fan of this series. :cool:

20. Knight Rider – (1982-1986)
    Like The A-Team, another great series from my childhood years.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,222
    Me too, i think i want see this show on Netflix someday.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,335
    My top 20

1. Walking Dead -I'm addicted to the series. I love the cast.
    2. Original Dallas -One of my all time favourites.
    3. Knots Landing
    4. The Shield-One of the best series finales, I have ever seen.
    5. Wentworth
    6. Lost
    7. Seinfeld
    8. The Office US
    9. TNT Dallas
    10. Black Mirror
    11. X-Files
    12. Twin Peaks
    13. Cagney and Lacey
    14. Sons Of Anarchy
    15. Game of Thrones
    16. Keeping Up Appearances
    17. CSI
    18. Law and Order
    19. NYPD New York
    20. Revenge

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,438
    So does anyone else want to take part in this before I calculate the results?

17. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    Can I Karin?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,438
    Of course Sarah. :)

19. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    Thank you -

1. Dallas - without question one of my greatest loves. This will never change.
    2. The Golden Girls
    3. Cagney and Lacey
    4. Frasier
    5. Friends
    6. Coronation Street
    7. Orange is the New Black
    8. American Horror Story
    9. Brookside

That's as much as I can do! My love for Dallas kinda overtakes everything tv wise x

• Like Like x 3
  20. pd fan

pd fan Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +724
    1 Dallas ( my number one for ever )
    2 the little house
    3 the torn birds
    4 friends
    5 desperate house wives
    6 knots landing