1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sons & Daughters Top Ten - Underutilized Characters

Discussion in 'Australian & New Zealand Soaps' started by Willie Oleson, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,982
    Hmmm. Well perhaps one of us should save her for the We Breathed A Sigh Of Relief When They Left Top Ten.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,709
    Hmm…
    upload_2020-6-30_0-51-42.png

3. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,427
  4. Mel O'Drama

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,982

Good lord. Somewhere, Gyles Brandreth is feeling the cold.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,709
    Also funny to see that there has to be "Tuscany Valley" printed on everything, as if they can't remember where they live.

6. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,157
    Congrats Brett! You deserve that number one spot. Yes Mel, the depth in his eyes belied his young years. Well put. And easy on the eye indeed.

Great new category choice Willie! :)

Good nominations James. Gave me some good ideas thank you.

1. Terry Hansen’s mother

2. Terry’s father (he briefly appeared as Angelo’s boxing coach in a much lack lustre role in RTE)

3. Pamela Hudson, like so much more could’ve been done here with all the effort they went to get Rowena back. And what either of them saw in Nick is beyond me?

4. Rob and Angela’s neighbour (I thought she was a man in a dress and wig at first glance, that would’ve been a story)

5/6. Bunty and Thel, so barely seen and often mentioned they were almost mythical. And hoot to boot

7. Irene Fisher

8. Muriel, Lyn Palmer’s mum. We saw Victor a bit but anyone whose name us Muriel definitely deserves more air time. How did she put up with being married to him?

9. Miss Collins from the modelling agency, she could’ve seduced David and Kevin

10. Alan Pascoe

Honourable mention to Susan Palmer #1 but having said that, not sure what else they could’ve done with her?

Oh the top 10 idea Mel of characters most likely to cause a huge sigh of relief when they left sounds great! A lot of the new 1985 characters would be scrambling for that title for me!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 12:57 AM
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,709
    Yes, considering the idea that she was as good as the best of the original main cast, that talent seemed to have been underutilized.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,157
    I also wish Tony Parker’s mum, Alice, had stayed around longer. There was one scene where one could just imagine her and Stephen Morrell together, which would’ve been nice. She was good in her part

9. Mel O'Drama

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,982
    1. Enid Hansen
    2. Warren Hansen

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The Hansens were just perfect. They oozed homely love and humility. It’s a crime that they were practically retconned out of the series by the time their son was in court. I’d like to have seen them build a relationship with Jill and their granddaughter.

3. Lisa Cook
    [​IMG]
    Despite only having a brief stint early on, Lisa was name-checked more than once quite late in the series. Which shows there was a place for her. I like the idea of her being a recurring character who is more worldly and exotic with each visit until people barely recognise her (towards series’ end Debra Lawrance would be briefly replaced by Vanessa Downing). She’d have good reason to travel between Melbourne and Sydney. And she’d have great international connections that could open doors for characters at convenient times (maybe she could appear in Rio to help David and Fiona).

4. Bill Sanders
    [​IMG]
    Mainly because I liked the Sanders Air Charter set, and with characters travelling between states who better to have. In my Sons and Daughters he would appear much earlier and would steer clear of Debbie. He would be the go-to person for practically every interstate journey. “I’ll call Bill”, spoken in grave tones, would become a shorthand catchphrase to herald an exciting interstate crossover for that character.

5. Helen Green
    [​IMG]
    While the beginning of her story would play out identically, it would actually be Andy that is killed on the Hamiltons’ property, leaving the devastated Helen in need of support and briefly moving in. This gives scope for drama and a satisfying arc as Barbara comes to terms with - and eventually bonds with - the woman who had a fling with both her brother and her "late" husband. When Rosie marries, Helen would become the Hamilton's infrequently-seen housekeeper. Unlike Rosie, she’d be inept and lazy (taking advantage of Barbara and Gordon's guilt over Andy's death on their property), and there would be scenes of Gordon blowing dust off the handset in order to use the phone, or Barbara rolling her eyes as a variation on the same dish is served for dinner most nights. Later, Helen would discover that Roland is alive and having liaisons with Barbara. She and Wayne plot to keep them apart (like Andy, her motive would be revenge for Roland walking out on her). After Barbara chooses Gordon over Roland, Barbara curtly dismisses Helen. But Roland is still guilty for walking out on her and Gordon is guilty over letting her go, so they quietly get her a job at their company as an incompetent-but-friendly receptionist.

The main benefit of the whole run, of course, is the fact that Andy’s stint on the series would be mercifully brief.

6. Welsh Alice
    I like the idea of her popping up in random places with the implication that she has somehow known whichever character in some capacity for years. Her envious comments about characters’ wealth, sex lives and dramas would yield a few minor catchphrases, all spoken in her unmistakeable Welsh lilt. Her classic “’Ooo’s payin' you-uh fares these days?” would be joined by “You must be jokin’!” (immediately after some outrageous plot twist); “Don’t be chopsy, now.” (always interjected at the height of a furious argument) and “A Hamilton now, is it?” (usually uttered as she peeks over someone’s shoulder at their passport. This would be a comment on a characters’ third or fourth marriage, and “Hamilton” would be used interchangeably with whichever the new name is).

7. Alan Pascoe
    [​IMG]
    For the reasons already given.

8. Thel
    9. Bunty

Again, for the very promising reasons outlined earlier in the round. I gave Thel top billing to root for the underdog.

10. Victor Hardy
    [​IMG]
    Like Lisa Cook, his name was still on people’s lips long after he left. There was still plenty of untapped potential.

Special mentions to:
    • Craig McLachlan’s chest
    • Nikos Dimitriou
    • Stuart Kingsford
    • Mick Ryan
    • Leanne Watson
    • Beryl’s teacups
    • Sarah Hunt (she never made my Top Ten after all)

• Winner Winner x 3
  10. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,709
    Haha, I can see it.
    I still have no idea who she is!
    A tiny adjustment I could live with.
    I had considered Hal Mason's assistant Di Miller and Leigh's ex-boyfriend Richard Crampton (who reminded me of Simon Armstrong anyway) and I had hoped they would keep Jill's cat and do the whole alphabet.

• Funny Funny x 2