Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Ome, Oct 17, 2016.
Oh ok sorry. Blush
Perhaps it's not the hostility towards April but how long time fans of Dallas had witnessed what the series had become...a joke. I could have accepted April and Bobby's relationship if the writers had laid better foundations for the pair. Pam crashing into that tanker should have been the exclamation on that character, not left mummified. There should have been a funeral and burial service, not just for Bobby but for viewers as well. What we ended up with was sloppy writing all-round. In the episode "After The Fall/Digger Redux" there is April, consoling Bobby over Pam's unfortunate accident. Excuse me? Back off honey, I can smell your estrogen from here.
Even after Pam's vanishing Bobby is given no real time to act upon his emotional pull to her. Pam who? It's obvious to this viewer the writers/producers upon learning Victoria had left for good was to kick the character out of Dallas and have Bobby share bodily fluids with the next great love of his life Jenna...oops, she is already in a relationship with Ray. Did he not just separate from Donna like 5 scenes earlier?
So, nothing left for the writers to do but have Bobby sniffing for April, and others. Hey mate. How about you stop trying to recapture your youth and look after the one person desperately wanting your support, Christopher. Offer us viewers something real, show us how a real man steps up not trip over the pitchfork and fall conveniently into April's pleasure region.
I agree!!! They were upset that VP chose to leave not accepting their offer, so they choose to wipe clean the value or importance of the character to Bobby and other characters. It was also Katzman way to push the character he invented April/his love for SW up front, but to me it back fired because not all viewers liked April
and SW was a lousy actress.
Probably due to Katzman pushing the Bobby/April pairing rather hurriedly in my opinion. By this stage though I was tuning out, the series best seasons had been viewed. After Pam's leaving Dallas in "Gone With The Wind" and then sporadic references made of her, Leonard Katzman decides to deal with the subject in "Carousel", the opening episode for Season 12 with a completely different actress, no offence to Margaret Michaels.
I understand Victoria had placed the exclamation mark on her role as Pam but I'm left wondering did the producers or Leonard really try to entice Victoria to come back for that last final scene with Cliff and her doctor. Leonard could easily have sat down with Victoria and said, "We've screwed up. Can I ask you to come back for a final scene with Ken Kercheval?" Seriously if Victoria didn't wish to be seen on screen we could easily have had a stand-in sitting in the chair with the camera focused on Cliff sitting in front of Pam. Victoria could simply have done a voice over. Instead it's not until 24 years later we learned the fate of Pam, she had died in 1989. Others have praised Cynthia Cidre & Co. for cleaning up a mess that should have been dealt with all those years ago. The problem I had with Cynthia's plot was she also killed off another fan favourite, Katherine in the process.
Well, I did sort of mention her restaurant scene. But that was probably more like a suggestion than a vote.
While I sort of liked April at first, the fact was that she became boring when she just morphed into another one of Bobby's fangirls. It was even worse then when they made Katherine's character solely dependent on Bobby after season 5 (dvd),because at least Katherine still was an interesting character. But April just sunk. I mean, what was the point of that useless "relationship building" and the wedding for when April just died anyway? And why did they have to make Bobby always have some stupid love interest after Pam was gone? I would have preferred some other storylines for him that weren't "romance".
Okay, since it didn't really specify how I do this latest one in terms of listing or picking the characters, I'm just gonna get the ball rolling here and do Katherine-
1. The scene where Katherine meets JR and interviews him while she was a reporter. (This scene had so much potential. I wish that JR would have just let his divorce remain and go after Katherine instead. A marriage full of evil schemes with JR and Katherine would have been so entertaining!)
2. The scene where Katherine asks JR for his help against Cliff to get him out of Wentworth Tool and Dye. (Hilarious when she tells a disappointed JR that that was why she asked him out to dinner! She got him to do what she wanted without even sleeping with him! Too bad that dynamic of effectiveness on Katherine's part was lost later on.)
3. The scene where Katherine gives JR the big brush off after he proposes a "celebration" while they are congratulating each other for ruining Bobby and Pam's marriage. (I found it hilarious how right after she turns him down, Katherine returns JR's hand grope and calls him a "very attractive man". We could have avoided all of that nonsense with Bobby "dying" and the dream if these two had just woken up and realized that they belonged with other.)
4. The scene where JR refers to Katherine as a damn good-looking woman. (Hilarious how Katherine just glares at JR and doesn't even say thank you! It's like she was thinking: "I've heard that a thousand times already, buddy. How about something more original?")
5. The scene where JR tells Katherine that he is looking forward to having her as a sister-in-law. (And as he gives her a body a very quick perverted gaze, you have to wonder if he was hoping for this so that he could do things with Katherine that he did with his other sister-in-law.)
6. The scene where Katherine offers to spy on Bobby for JR and rants about Cliff. (Too bad that she didn't really do anything to help JR win the contest. In fact, she was the reason he lost. Such a shame that the writers didn't focus on a rivalry between her and Cliff and instead made Katherine go crazy for Bobby. She and JR would have been a dream team against Bobby, Cliff, and Pam.)
7. The scene where Katherine calls Cliff a "disgusting little man". (I remember how when I first saw that scene, I walked into the living room and saw that my mom had the close captions on the TV while it was muted, and I laughed so hard when I saw that line come on the screen!)
8. The scene where Katherine lets Cliff have it after Rebecca's death and vows to make him pay. (Cliff deserved that, in my opinion. And once again, wasted potential. It should have been about Katherine kicking Cliff's a**, not an erotomania-like obsession with Bobby.)
9. The scene where Katherine meets the private investigator who assists her in her demented game of Where's Waldo? I mean, Naldo. (I almost died laughing when Katherine said: "I'm looking for a man." And he's like "Is this a joke!?" It did seem like a joke, didn't it?)
10. The scene where Katherine takes back her rightful share of Wentworth Tool and Dye from Loser Cliff. (A shame that the writers forgot that this actually happened later on.)
Okay, I'm sure you've heard enough of my ramblings and excessive Katherine/JR shipping!
Great list and Katherine is the best Dallas character not to be given star billing in the opening titles. I think this top ten can include scenes from different characters and doesn't have to focus on just one. My list when I eventually finalise it will have a wide range of characters.
You're right and I agree, but with so many weeks spent on this I didn't want to get trapped into a saga spanning 14 years where people start to lose interest.
Next week I'm going for the TNT best scenes and then we will look at the winning scene for each category in a final vote off.
I've been reasonably successful in blanking out TNT Dallas from my memory so I'll sit out that round.
i dont think that would happen but find the next category way too broad
My tuppenceworth would be ?? about doing the best of the main cast (not including April or Jenna ) bit a bit late for that now I know
Then moving onto a supporting cast section
I could easily give you 10 Diggers
or best of the cartel,
best of Dusty and Mark
Katherine/Afton/Kristin as a category etc etc
I will think of my 10 for saturday though
1. Katherine Wentworth - When she blames Cliff for Rebecca's death shouting "you did this" at him.
2. Angelica Nero - The scene when she kills Nicholas with her hairpin, coolly wipes the blood off and replaces it in her hair.
3. Wes Parmalee - Proving to a shocked JR and Bobby that he's Jock by telling them about how he was shot at Lake Takapa and when he told JR about Amanda.
4. Vaughn Leeland - When he is having breakfast at Cliff's to discuss a bank loan and her treats Afton like a skivvy.
5. Mandy Winger - The scene when she looks tearful and silently walks out while JR tells of his shock of seeing Sue Ellen in the drying out facility and reminiscing how beautiful she used to be.
6. John Ross Ewing III - The scene when he tries to communicate with Tony at Southfork, acting out various things like being on a horse.
7. Micky Trotter - When he first meets Lucy and she is cold to him so he compares her to a block of ice.
8. Peter Richards - Crying silently after Sue Ellen tells him she doesn't want to see him again.
9. Jamie Ewing - When she confronts JR over him kissing and hugging Serena and Sue Ellen overhears.
10.Lady Jessica Montford - The scene when she is helping Ellie in the kitchen and she picks up a knife when Ellie's back is turned and looks like she is going to stab her until Donna comes in so Jessica, holding a tomato, says "you want them quartered or sliced thin?"
How do you mean? It's just three seasons and a handful of episodes.
There's nothing stopping us from revisiting this category with the supporting cast later in the year.
1. Afton - sings at the club and meet Cliff again
2. Cally - saves John Ross' life when he falls into the pool
3. Gary & Val - They kiss and we find out that they are still together
4. Charlie - Tells Christopher Bobby is Lucas natural father
5. Katherine - Tells Pam that she has to marry Mark
6. John Ross - Talks to JR about having James as a half brother and Ray and JR
7. James & Michelle - Kiss and make up in the elevator
8. Cally - Talks to Alex who is trying to help her see her own potential
9. Jamie and Marilee Stone - Cat fight at BBQ and Jamie pushes Marilee into the pool
10. John Ross & Christopher - Some kids tease Chris abous his mom leaving John Ross sticks up for him
Then here's a couple of more that's below my list:
11. Katherine - Fools Pam into signing the letter
12. Gary & Val - Gets his parents blessing to get remarried and Miss Ellie gives them house in Knots Landing as wedding gift
13. Afton - talks to Sue Ellen about Cliff. SE tells Afton that she doesn't want Cliff
14. James & Michelle - They are married and move into Southfork. JR is not pleased.
15. Cally - throws a pie in JR's face
16. Val - has a heart to heart with Miss Ellie about Gary
17. Marilee - JR leaves her in the pool
18. Marilee - spills the beans about JR and some other woman to SE and Jamie
She was hot and so underutilized on Dallas. Always loved how Marilee sauntered around Dallas with the Cartel.
Marilee should have knocked Jamie right out of Dallas.
1. Mark saying farewell to sleeping Pam with tears in his eyes
2. Mark returns and Pam faints into his arms
3. Katherine forging the letter for Pam to sign
4. Katherine the picnic scene with bobby
5. Mickey supports Lucy in motel room before they make love for the first time
6. Mickey proposes to Lucy in his hospital bed
7. Katherine is slapped by Pam
8. Mickey swims in the southfork pool. Phoaar
9. Tony is adopted by ray and Donna. Aaawww
10. Jamie pushes Marilee in the pool lo
Digger no 2 on a park bench with Miss Ellie after her surgery, nice then bitter because of Jock s2
Digger no 2 on his death bed with family around him s2
Digger no 1 and Pam after they make up when Jock gives him money (for Pam) and she says keep it, the old louse owes you more than that s1
Mark - and Pam and their perfect night s6
Katherine - Pam slaps her! yay! s6
Val - chat with Miss Ellie in SF kitchen s1
Digger no 2 - Cliff tells him he has a grandchild s2
Rebecca - s5 dying with perfect make up and looking like a nun
wes Parmalee - at the museum with Miss Ellie s9
Katherine - sleeps with JR then he plays her the tape s6
Separate names with a comma.