Trump denies crude slur against migrant countries

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Sarah, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,771
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42664173

US President Donald Trump has denied using crude words attributed to him about Haiti, El Salvador and African countries.

Reports that he had called them "shithole countries" in an Oval Office meeting generated a backlash worldwide.

One UN official called the remarks racist and said they opened "the door to humanity's worst side".

But Mr Trump has tweeted that "this was not the language" he used in a meeting about immigration.

He wrote that the language he used was "tough, but this was not the language used".

The Washington Post, the New York Times, Politico and the Wall Street Journal all reported the comments on Thursday, quoting eyewitnesses or people briefed on the meeting. The White House did not deny them.

What was he reported to have said?
    Mr Trump's reported remark came as both Republican and Democratic lawmakers visited him on Thursday to propose a deal on immigration.

Mr Trump was said to have told them that instead of granting temporary residency to citizens of countries hit by natural disasters, war or epidemics, the US should instead be taking in migrants from countries like Norway.

He was quoted as saying: "Why do we need more Haitians? Take them out."

On Friday, Mr Trump tweeted that the deal offered to him was "a big step backwards" that would not "properly" fund the wall he plans to build at the Mexican border and would force the US to take "large numbers of people from high-crime countries which are doing badly".

He wrote that he wanted "a merit based system of immigration and people who will help take our country to the next level".

[​IMG]

2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,186
    Trump has a long history of being racist and this latest outburst is just another manifestation of his bigotry.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,771
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    0% surprised. What surprises me is how such a large part of his voters are still supporting him. I weep for humanity at times.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    Shithole President continues to splatter excrements out of his ignorant mouth when he takes a rare break from stuffing it with KFC.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  6. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,346
  7. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    A helpful reminder of past and current racist remarks made by the Bloated Orange:

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,956
    Trump's qualities we detest, his supporters love. They've even said there is nothing he could say or do -- even to them -- which would cause them to remove their support for him.

9. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +482
    I'll never understand the blind devotion some people have to politicians (or anybody else, for that matter).

If Bernie were to stop supporting a progressive agenda in favor of neoliberal policies, I'd drop my support for him like a bad habit. I'm not one for the cult of personality.