Trying to figure out NuDynasty

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Willie O! Tannenbaum, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,864
    Yesterday and today I've watched the first 4 episodes of season 2, and while I still don't think it's great soap, I really enjoyed all of it.
    How is that possible, since my main (and only) complaint was that NuDynasty wasn't "soap" enough.
    Too light-hearted, too much comedy and - most importantly - nothing really mattered.
    "If they don't care then why should I?"
    The storylines got more interesting in the second half of season 1 and I believed the show had fixed itself.
    But I didn't see that improvement in these 4 episodes.

And then I thought, is NuDynasty a remake in traditional sense of the word, or is it something else?
    I would describe it as: bold, brassy, cheeky and very gimmick-y.
    So, what if NuDynasty is not really a soap, but fabulous pulp based on Dynasty, or the soap genre in general?

I've mentioned a few times that I wish that NuD was being produced by the guys from American Horror Story.
    The funny thing is, AHS is not horror, it's fabulous pulp based on the horror genre.

TNT Dallas and Blood & Oil are definitely modern versions of the classic soap genre (please don't turn this into a "what I hate about Dallas" thread because I can read those arguments in hundreds of other threads).

I even toyed with the idea that NuDynasty is supposed to be a parody or satire, but in that case they would mock and exaggerate exactly those things that did happen on O.Dynasty, which is not the case here.

Then there's the comparison with Desperate Housewives, but I think DH usually attempted to display a sophisticated and (pseudo-) clever kind of humour - sometimes successful, sometimes not.
    The humour on NuDynasty is no holds barred and often borders on physical sitcom, almost as if the show wants to be over-the-top in every possible way.

NuDynasty looks beautiful, and the many short scenes (sometimes nothing but displaying something beautiful) feels a bit "MTV".

If you're mentally trying to "change" NuDynasty into something it isn't, then it's probably very painful to watch.
    But if you see it for what it is (like Fallon said to Liam's mother) - fabulous over-the-top pulp with the occasional poignant character moment - then it's actually quite enjoyable.
    Anything goes, nothing is sacred, it's a crazy ride.

It's not better or worse than O.Dynasty because I feel that they're essentially different genres.
    imho.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,931
    Most of these shows have, for several years, had that overly-whimsical vibe. I don't particularly like that trend, because it tends to feel like a cop-out: the writers don't have to take anything seriously.

Also, these modern shows' characters are all always equally brilliant manipulators. You're just waiting to see what the latest "reveal" is and which character's scheme has upstaged the last one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Michael Yule Torrance

Michael Yule Torrance Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    It's a show about nothing. Just with more unlikable characters than Seinfeld, and hardly any laughs.

Pulp
    noun
    noun: pulp

1. a soft, wet, shapeless mass of material.

2. popular or sensational writing that is generally regarded as being of poor quality.
      synonyms: trashy, cheap, sensational, lurid, tasteless
    So maybe it is pulp but I don't think any of us disagree on how tasteless, trashy, shapeless etc. it gets.
    Maybe our mistake was thinking it will rise to something more.

Exactly that!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  4. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,864
    If one of the characters wears a t-shirt with "property of Jeff Colby" printed on it, then it's no longer whimsical, or a vibe.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,573
    Y'know... when I think about Blake wearing that shirt... and how in the original show Jeff had Blake practically wrapped around his finger... :lmao::lmao::lmao:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,864
    This was the first time I've watched several episodes non-stop, and for some reason it looks different from watching 1 episode per week (followed by discussing every detail of that episode).
    I used to think that NuDynasty often failed to achieve what it wanted to achieve, but now I get the idea that they know exactly what they are doing.
    It's really a clever funny show, there were so many things that made me giggle, like Kirby's camera in that cute toy bear.

Liam/Fallon/Michael is one of the better love triangles imo, because they're both likeable guys so it's difficult to decide whom to cheer for.
    So I guess there's a bit of "true" soap in it too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Michael Yule Torrance

Michael Yule Torrance Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    I believe they call it "the viewer's Stockholm syndrome" ;)

8. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,864
    Sometimes you need a little bit more of something to know how it swings. And like I said, NuDynasty XL looks really good.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    I think it's partially down to the fact that the writers like to fold a plot point into an episode, then drop it for a few episodes and then return to it. Just look at how some people assumed Claudia and her baby was gone after not appearing in the season premiere and then she reappears in episode five of season 2. Season 1 they also had this tendency, and yet again, people would just assume they dropped certain plot points completely.

Maybe that's why watching episodes in a row works better for some people.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1