Twenty Years of SoapChat: "Knots Landing"

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Daniel Avery, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,978
    Medals:
    As the banner says, this site has been cranking it out (and occasionally just being cranky) for twenty years! Though the site began as Dallas-centric, it eventually branched out into all the big nighttime soaps of the eighties, and eventually added forums for a myriad of discussion topics (not just soaps). But at its heart, we've always been about the "big four". Knots Landing, though never the blockbuster like Dynasty or Dallas, still manages to inspire fierce loyalty and never quite gets forgotten.

Knots Landing
    's little corner of the site was obviously an early addition, having the distinction of being Dallas's spin-off series. I was lucky enough to stumble upon this section of the site early on (mid-2000). Pamela and/or Colin had the foresight to get a separate web address for the Knots forum, rather than just linking it through the main Dallas pages of the site, so I actually found www. knotsforum. com and felt like a kid in a candy store. Back in those days, there were many sites displaying photos and essays on episodes of the series, but very little back-and-forth discussion. Favorite plots, favorite characters, all sorts of in-depth discussion appeared alongside lighter, more self-deprecating topics, keeping it light most of the time. Pamela used to say we were the forum that had the least amount of friction. Translation: we were boring! Not to say we didn't have our dramatic departures and occasional strife...but no blood on the walls or anything.

In the early years the vast majority of members created accounts using character names rather than their own names. Mods and frequent posters in the early years had names like Karen Fairgate MacKenzie, Petey Hollister, Abby Fairgate, Ginger Ward, Frank Williams, etc., and we would even occasionally lapse into posting "in character" when the mood struck us. We grew out of that, thank goodness. :) I think the level of discussion has definitely gone up over the years, people offering opinions and insights that can sometimes make an old show seem new again...or at least look different even after repeated viewings.

I'd love to hear memories of the Knots forum from the other members, new and old. Name-drop those past members to your heart's content, since so many memories can be jogged just by a name. Were there any really silly threads that stuck in your minds? Did we ever go too far in our...um, devotion to the Knots neighbors? Was our reputation as the "best-behaved" of the big four forums well-deserved, or was Pamela just telling me that to mess with my head?
    If you ask nicely, I might even tell you about when Pamela had to kick out a moderator. :popcorn:

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,211
    I came to Soap Chat via DALLAS and spent a year on that forum before noticing the other forums. Back then we had no Music, Movie, Celebrity, Rant, Reality forums but we did have a Sports forum. :D

I remember my first post on the KNOTS forum and it was a genuine question asking if KNOTS was really that popular to have its own forum. I was met with some abuse and learned that the show went on past two seasons. I had no knowledge of KNOTS and only knew of Gary & Val, who I thought was the weakest link to DALLAS. Thinking that way led me to believe that KNOTS itself was probably a show to avoid, full of boring stuff to do with an alcoholic and a crybaby wife.

I soon started chatting with a few KNOTS fans and one of them gave me copies of the show to watch. I couldn't believe how quickly I was captured with the early seasons and then once the story on Val's Babies began, I was completely and utterly hooked. Never had I seen a story take over a show like I had with this one, it totally consumed me. I grew to love Val and Gary, along with the rest of the characters and after I finished watching the show, I went back in to watch it all again. I hope I can make it a third time, but with so many shows out there, it's hard just trying to think about it.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,211
    Some screenshots from 2011

18a.jpg

19a.jpg

17.jpg

20.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  4. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,978
    Medals:
    It was something of a running joke that during my first four or five years hanging around this place, I had never "departed" from the KL forum--that is, explored all the other areas (like the "mother ship" Dallas forum!). What drew me out? A Doctor Who forum created around the time the show was revived. I'll never forget @Christine 's stunned reaction after reading my posting in that forum, asking if I was lost!o_O

Another thing that I remembered after posting last night: those viral "Kill Off Games" in the OG Games Forum. Laura Avery Sumner was the last KL character standing, which left me feeling vindicated. When Laura/Greg won in the KL Couple category, I was positively giddy. :dance:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,004
    The first thing I ever typed into a search engine was "Knots Landing". That led me to Knots Landing.Net and then the forums.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,314
    Medals:
    I also remember the first thing I searched for.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Christine

Christine Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I have to admit, the first thing I ever typed into a search engine was 'Dallas'. Shame on me? Back in 1999 I could just not imagine there was anything to find about Knots Landing 'on this internet thing'. :D
    So the first website I ever visited was Ultimate Dallas. There was an announcement that a sister site on Knots Landing was soom to launch.
    I then came back eventually, found KnotsLanding.Net and this forum. Like Daniel, I felt like a kid in a candy store....more from me tomorrow. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  8. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Knots Landing was what brought me to Soap Chat. I spent the majority of my first few years here posting in the Friendly Chat and Banter thread that was located in the now defunct Fantasy Knots Landing forum. I miss Knots Man and KnotsLanding4Ever (aka Rose) and PDL Bean and Fair Suze who used to be regulars in that thread too and no longer post here. Luckily, thanks to Facebook I can keep up with a few of them.

It was because of the Knots Landing forum that I discovered how close I live to the actual cul de sac and made my first of (I think) three visits there. I also remember the excitement around here when a bunch of us got to meet a good portion of the cast at the Hollywood Show in Burbank. One of my favorite memories ever is posing for a picture with the cast of Knots and having Donna Mills ask "may I sit on your knee?"

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,220
    I miss @KL4ever on this board too. We met in real life back in 2006 after watching the filming of the Dallas Then & Now Wogan Show. :)

Then as for Knots Landing. Thanks to the kindness of forum friends from this board (you know who you are) I was finally able to watch the entire show. So I am very grateful for that. :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,314
    Medals:
    I hardly ever visited the KL forum before I got the chance to watch the complete series myself, therefore...

I had no idea!
    I had no idea!
    [​IMG]
    Did you faint? I mean, that would be perfectly normal.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    That Hollywood Show was a fun weekend and of all the pictures I have of me with various cast members, my two favorites are the one with the entire cast that was present (Shakelford, Lee, Dobson, Mills, Van Ark) and one with just Donna and I. I like to look at that picture with just Donna and imagine it was from season 15 when I had a role on the show as Abby's sassy gay assistant and confidant. :D

I did. The photo is actually of me lying unconscious on the floor in front of the Knots cast, with Donna looking like she's just walked in on Olivia with Peter Hollister's dead body.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,314
    Medals:
    Like Sandy & Racine from PAPER DOLLS!
    Brilliant!:haha:

• Like Like x 2
  13. micmic

micmic Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Does anyone have a recording of that Hollywood Show panel with the cast? (I know at least an audio recording exists..?)

14. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,534
    Funnily enough in August 1997 was when Swedish television aired the season six cliffhanger with Val's babies being taken away. The next day they started airing Days of our Lives. I remember this because I sent pissed-off letters to the television channel.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,211
    Some old friends and their avatars

FKL 2.jpg
    FKL 5.jpg
    FKL 6.jpg
    FKL 7.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  16. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Medals:
    Often wonder where Mickey fairgate went?

I dipped in and out of KL forum and would post articles and pics if i came across then when scanning in Dallas.

I gave up on KL after Sid died - so pretty early on - it didnt do it for me the way Dallas did, my mum stuck with it and enjoyed it and would give me updates on what gary, val and Co were up to

I bought s1 on DVD and wish they would bring out further seasons as I would be willing to give it another go.

was friendly with a poster called Anakin ewing, and happily met him at SF BBQ in 2008

He wrote a book on KL and kindly gave me a mention in it, and bought the same book from Amazon

I miss his posts here.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Christine

Christine Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +175
    My first impression when I stumbled across this forum was "Boy, that Daniel Avery knows everything about Knots!". He doesn't know it but he's always been my Soapchat hero No. 1. :cooler:

When I came here, I had absolutely ZERO behind-the-scenes knowledge, I didn't even know the season count of my all time favorite show! As most of you probably know by now, in Europe and other countries, Knots Landing was somehow a huge flop. I still don't know the reason for that, I guess the rest of the world wanted to see glitzy and glamorous soaps. Just like in the U.K and in France, KL made it to German televisoin not before 1988. ? And before the internet age, I simply had no access to information about American TV shows. So I knew nothing, nothing about who was fired and why, which seasons had great ratings and which not, nothing about the production shutdown in season 13, not why Don Murray left the show...no info why Lisa Hartman was brought back...nothing. And I also learned the sad news that Steve Shaw and Larry Riley had passed away. :( This made me really sad, it came as a total shock.

I will be forever grateful for finding this place. We've been having so much fun! Does anyone remember our Gary Awards? This is one of my favorite memories. This and Fantasy Knots Landing. :)

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,978
    Medals:
    One of the forum regulars back in the mid-2000s accused me of being a member of the show's production staff. I laughed it off, but he (I guess it was 'he') kept claiming I had to be an "insider". The sad truth was that I was (and still am) just a very devoted fan.

One 'real insider' made a cameo appearance a while back--Dan Weisman, Constance McCashin's real-life son (who played toddler Daniel Avery in the series). That was a kick, since he had to register as "The Real Daniel Avery" in order to answer a few questions and visit with the forum. He was the one who dropped the mini-bombshell that one of the producers had it in for his mother and was instrumental in not renewing CM's contract. We never did agree on which one it was, but it was nice to have such a unique source for confirmation. McCashin also submitted to an interview for the site, which was the Holy Grail of interviews given how most of us felt/feel about her contribution to the series. I wonder if we could somehow dig up that interview.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,913
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,978