Twenty Years of SoapChat: "Knots Landing"

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Daniel Avery, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,220
    I know I was so annoyed too and also wrote a letter to the TV channel. I saw someone had written a send-in question to a TV magazine too and then I was stunned and sad to read that TV3 had no more plans to broadcast or buy the rest of the show. I mean they left us on that cliffhanger? :mad:

Oh I remember him too. I also met him at the SF BBQ. :)
    Read his book a couple of summers ago. I think in 2014. Hard to believe that he's a grandpa now as he is not that old. In his 40s I think. But I guess that's what happens when people have kids early on in life.

Anyway I think he did resign up after the big crash. As I am almost certain there's a thread in here where he's talking about his book... ;)

The Gary awards sounds familiar. I can't remember what the awards were handed out for though...
    Anyway lovely to hear from you Christine. :)

Oh so this means Constance was pregnant in real life the season before Daniel Avery was born?
    I was just watching the episode where Richard is in the looney bin after his big breakdown today and I found myself wondering if Laura's pregnancy might be because of that the actress was pregnant in real life! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,980
    Medals:
    Yes, both of her real-life pregnancies were written in, though the real-life births didn't quite match Laura's onscreen births.

Daniel Weisman was born May 1, 1982, while Daniel Avery was born in the episode that aired Oct. 7, 1982 ("Daniel"). I recall re-posting a clip of her appearing on a game show shortly after Daniel was born, wearing the same plaid top that you see her wearing in my avatar photo.

Marguerite "Meg" Weisman was born on Feb. 25, 1987, while Marguerite "Meg" Sumner (later MacKenzie) was born in the episode that aired April 30, 1987 ("Parental Guidance"). Given the delays between shooting and airing of episodes, I'm guessing the birth episode was filmed around the time Constance was ready to give birth in real life, though.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,220
    Thanks Daniel for making this clear to me. As much as I love Knots I must admit that I don't know all that much about the cast's private lives. I guess it's because I originally avoided this part of the board not to get spoilers for the end of the show! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,004
    The situation was similar here in Australia. Quite soon after I joined the forum, at Christine's suggestion we wrote some articles on the history of Knots Landing in our countries. Unfortunately, they seem to have disappeared from KnotsLanding.net but I still have the file if the webmaster wants to revive the page.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I was so sad when I returned after ages and couldn't log in. I didn't know what it was but now I see it was due to a big server crash. I was originally ChrisSumner and when Paige joined the show I became ChrisSumnerMatheson. I joined when I was 13-14 and I'm 30 now so it's definitely been a part of my life for ages. So many good, soapy things have happened here! Yall remember Art Swift? I always wondered what happened to him! My other favorites are Snarky, Christine, James from London, Pamela, Afton, Daniel Avery, Sunnyboy, Karin, KnotsMan and so many others!

• Like Like x 6
  6. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,220
    Welcome back @ChrisSumner of course I remember you and I am glad to see that you resigned up! :)

It's amazing how young you were when you first joined soap chat. Time surely flies.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Golly! You have made me feel really old. You will always be 13 in my head. I wonder what became of Art Swift, he got his knickers in a knot and vanished off the face of the earth. That was during the big Knots Forum scandal where several people were banned.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +228
    It's so weird to think this forum has been a part of my life for so long! One night I couldn't sleep and at 2am Falcon Crest came on SOAPnet (plane crash cliffhanger) followed by Val reuniting with her babies and that's what hooked me on soaps. A total fluke but I'm so happy because we've had so much fun here and Knots is of course amazing!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Julia's Gun

Julia's Gun Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +156
    I thought I was the most devout, obsessed Knots fan until I found this forum! The internet is like that though. Its been lovely to share memories, observations and learn stuff from other members over the years. I only just rejoined after an absence, but we had some great discussions on the old forum a few years back, and then CBS Drama started showing it again in the UK - great to re-watch and share the experience, and to hear young members in their teens and twenties still finding this show and loving it even now - Knots has proven itself to become the timeless classic we hoped or sensed it was at the time.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,220
    Since this is our nostalgia thread I figured it might be a good place to share some old Knots banners I've found in old soapchat threads I had saved offline. These are not made by me but belonged to other members. But maybe seeing them again will spark some memories. Also if you recognize the banner as yours just say so! :)

klbeach.jpg

FORUMkl4ever2.jpg

dayn.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. micmic

micmic Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +242
    What was the 'big scandal'
    Missed those years I guess

12. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,980
    Medals:
    It's been many years, and of course I'm only describing the events from my limited point of view. A member of the forum asked Pamela to use her contacts to help him secure interviews with several KL cast members. His interviews, as you can imagine, were well-received...but he wasn't able to "play well with others," so to speak. Pamela made him a co-moderator, and almost immediately he started playing moderators against one another, telling Pamela bald-faced lies about things we said about him/to him. All very Junior-High stuff. He seems to have convinced himself that those interviews had given him some sort of celebrity-status in our little forum, and that gave him the license to treat people poorly. He seemed intent on getting on the nerves of one mod in particular, who subsequently got enough of it and quit. He then tried to do a similar number on me (telling Pamela lies about things I never said, etc.), but Pamela ultimately kicked him out and/or banned him because there are only so many times you can stir things up without people figuring out you're the one doing the stirring. I wasn't privy to the conversations, but from the abruptness of his departure, I assumed she opened a can o' whoop-ass on him like only Pamela could. He supposedly kept trying to get an online writing career off the ground, but being unable to use Pamela's contacts meant his access to interview subjects was drastically limited.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +98
    The woman I think was called Karen, it was so many years ago, she was the moderator and had done so many great things but a bit of a bullying culture emerged targeting her and it all turned a bit nasty.

Shame as that forum was thriving back then, I guess the show hadn't been off the air very long and was probably still airing in several countries.

14. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,211
    This comment really shouts out to me how quickly time is running away with us.

From a comment like "the show hadn't been off the air very long" to "it's nearly 25 years since the series ended"

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,220
    It's strange how fast the time goes and you are right. Knots went off the air in 1993 so in 1997 it really hadn't been off the air that long. It's sort of like with the new Dallas now that went off the air in 2014! :eck:

Also in 1997, the original Dallas had just been off the air in 6 years and they had done JR Returns just the year before and then made War of the Ewings the year after. So Dallas was still sort of current and on the air occasionally. :tv:

The same could be argued for Knots Landing who had their reunion show in 1997.

Yet to me in 1997 it felt like 1991 was a very long time ago. I guess when you are 17 it feels like a long time ago since you were 11. But when you are in your 30s it seems like 6 years ago was just yesterday. It's strange how time does that to you and how it seems much longer and moving much slower when you are a child or teenager than it does when you are an adult.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,980
    Medals:
    Knots was still airing on SoapNet (one of their highest-rated series, if I recall correctly) in the period when that whole mess blew up (around 2004 or 2005, I'm estimating). The other mod was indeed going by the forum name Karen Fairgate MacKenzie. I tried my best to get her to stick around and fight back against that jerk, but she wasn't having any of it. I always hoped she would return or re-register under another name, but I don't think she did.

And don't get me started on the passage of time. My mother reminded me earlier this month that when she was my age, I was a freshman in college. In theory, I'm old enough to be a grandfather! Of course, that would explain my overwhelming urge to tell those bratty kids to get off my lawn.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,980
    Medals:
    Knots was still airing on SoapNet (one of their highest-rated series, if I recall correctly) in the period when that whole mess blew up (around 2004 or 2005, I'm estimating). The other mod was indeed going by the forum name Karen Fairgate MacKenzie. I tried my best to get her to stick around and fight back against that jerk, but she wasn't having any of it. I always hoped she would return or re-register under another name, but I don't think she did.

And don't get me started on the passage of time. My mother reminded me earlier this month that when she was my age, I was a freshman in college. In theory, I'm old enough to be a grandfather! Of course, that would explain my overwhelming urge to tell those bratty kids to get off my lawn.

18. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +98
    BBC One showed the last episode in 1996 or Jan 1997 so it was very close to when the forum started.

Weird to think it was airing on one the UK's main channel 5 years or so after Dallas went off the air.

But it was also shown on U.K. gold at the same time and UK Gold finished up a couple of weeks before BBC One aired the final episode

• Like Like x 1
  19. Julia's Gun

Julia's Gun Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +156
    I remember that well! I was watching the last season on BBC1 and then I made the mistake of flicking through a TV guide in a WH Smith store. It had the last episode listed on UK Gold with the text saying something like 'Val turns up in the cul-de-sac alive and well.' It completely spoiled that surprise!

But is was kind of exciting to know that was still to come...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Yes I loved it and used to be frustrated that we were so far behind but looking back it was great we got all those extra years of watching it after it officially ended in the US.

Exciting times :)

• Agree Agree x 1