Unexpected Snappy Dialogue

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Lastkidpicked, May 8, 2018.

1. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +331
    Hello All!
    I was watching a few episodes of Dallas this morning, and didn't recall the Cally years as standing out back in the day.

HOWEVER,

I have to say that on rewatch, there is some pretty snappy dialogue in the episode where she first appears. There is just a comfortable, enjoyable time being had by the actors and it shows:

Theresa: There is a Mrs. Ewing here to see you.
    J.R. What the hell is Sue Ellen doing here?
    Theresa: Not THAT Mrs. Ewing. . .

Cally: (With a country bumpkin accent, showing what a hick she is): Don't you think I could walk and talk just as good as anybody you know?
    Bobby: I think you could. . . And I think you married beneath yourself.

J.R.: Go ahead, Bobby. Just say it.
    Bobby: I told you not to mess around with the local talent in that small town. And you didn't have to marry her, Pal.
    J.R.: She's nothing but a little hillbilly.
    Bobby: She's a hillbilly with a marriage license!

J.R. : I'm going to put an end to this marriage
    Bobby: I guess your right, divorcing her would be a lot kinder than staying married to her.

J.R. "Momma should have had her tubes tied right after I was born."

BHAHAHAHAHAHA! Good ole J.R.!

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,960
    Yes, for all the faults of the last few seasons, there were still highlights. I did like that scene when Cally arrived at Southfork and Bobby started to goad JR about it.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lastkidpicked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +331
    I agree, Swami. The best part is you can tell from the reaction shots that Patrick Duffy and Howard Keel are having a great time shooting that scene.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,960
    Even Barbara Gel Geddes, too, where she tells JR to do the right thing by Cally.

Swami

• Like Like x 4
  5. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,849
    You know I think the last four seasons have gotten a bad rep that it doesn't deserve. Sure some of our favorite characters are gone and had been replaced by new characters. But Dallas was still family centered and there are some great episodes and really funny dialogue. So the writing was still great and the acting was still great too. So IMHO it still felt like Dallas. :)

You know another really funny episode is when JR is marrying Cally at Southfork in front of all of his family and friends and they all get rained in. That episode is hilarious too. Especially the interactions between JR & Sue Ellen. :rlol:

So well after watching Dallas TNT I somehow have gotten a new appreciation for the later years of Dallas that although they are not as good as during Dallas peak years are still really enjoyable. The only season that I find less enjoyable is the very last season since the lack of Miss Ellie has changed the dynamics of the show too much that season.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +683
    They're obviously relishing seeing JR squirm!

And as nearly everyone knows seeing JR squirm under pressure is usually a delight to behold the way Hagman portrays him!

Especially as it's done in front of his Mother Miss Ellie. :)

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  7. Lastkidpicked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +331
    That's what I like the most about that scene. You can tell that the actors are really enjoying themslelves. Even though Clayton has barely a line, the reaction shots of Howard Keel just quictly chuckling as the scene unfolds is a delight to watch.

• Agree Agree x 2