Unrealistic Things In Dallas Obviously Created Just For The Sake Of Conflict

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    This isn't something only Dallas did; I think all the major shows have at some time create situations which aren't realistic and maybe don't even make any sense just to create conflict and in general to create excitement. Still, do you think that Dallas and the other primetime soaps did this more than most primetime shows did back then?

Name some things about Dallas that you found to be glaringly obvious examples of that phenomenon.

1. Interim Voting Shares

This created conflict for the sake of it by giving people voting shares whom Jock wouldn't have realistically given voting shares to at all. Neither Ray nor Gary had ever worked at Ewing Oil or in the oil business at all.. They had no expertise by which to judge which way to vote in order to ensure Ewing Oil was being run as well as possible. Then Gary made a joke out of the whole thing by giving his shares to Lucy, who because she was such a young woman at the time with no experience in the oil business was possibly the only adult in the family less qualified to have voting shares than Gary.

The voting shares were also treated as being far more important than they were. There were some comments made regarding the voting shares that would make you think they were a permanent situation. There was a heavy implication that JR thought that if he could gain control over more than 50% of the shares, he'd be bulletproof. Well, maybe, but only until Jocks will was read. The will was of crucial importance and in comparison, being voted out of power during the "voting shares interim" was basically just a nuisance. It meant someone, Bobby or JR might be out of the company for a few months but had no bearing at all on the permanent situation which the will decided.

2. JR And Cliff Compete To Buy Gill Thurman's Refinery

The situation involved JR needing a refinery to refine oil for his discount gas stations, since he was having trouble getting refinery companies ( who wanted gasoline prices to remain high) to refine his oil. The problem was that there was one other prospective buyer besides JR - Cliff Barnes. The story showed JR telling Sue Ellen to charm Thurman by serving a meal he would like, serving him plenty of bourbon, dressing up in something sexy, and talking to him in a way that would give him the impression that Sue Ellen found him sexually attractive. The goal was to boost his ego so that since he'd had such a good time having dinner with them, he'd sell his refinery to JR.

The problem was Afton Cooper. Cliff on his own wouldn't be bale to make a better deal for the refinery than JR because he lacked the money and the experience making business deals that JR had. Aston was smart enough that she knew that Cliff was no match for JR in this scenario.. So she slept with Thurman in exchange for Thurman selling to Cliff. She did this mainly because Cliff had experienced so much failure that he had tried to kill himself less than a year ago. She wanted Cliff to feel like a winner by giving him the impression that it was his intelligence and skill that enabled him to make a better deal for the refinery than JR had.

This was a case of creating conflict just for the sake of it with no regard to realism. They did it so that Cliff could somehow get the refinery instead of JR which would create conflict in 3 ways:

A. It would make JR angry at Cliff for buying the refinery JR desperately needed.. Cliff had no particular for the refinery in the sense that JR did. Cliff didn't stand to lose anything if he didn't get the refinery because he wasn't having trouble getting people to refine his oil, since he wasn't in the discount gasoline business. Because of his JR would see it as Cliff doing it not because he really needed the refinery but just to interfere with JR's gasoline stations being able to procure sufficient amounts of gasoline for him to make the profits which would ensure his winning the contest for control of Ewing Oil.

B. It would be too hard to keep Afton's sleeping with Thurman a secret which would end up with Cliff finding out what she'd done. He found out his girlfriend had slept with another man and had done so because she didn't believe he could get the refinery any other way. She betrayed him and insulted his ability as a businessman at the same time.

C. It would make it necessary for JR to keep looking for a refinery which would continue the battle between JR and the group of people trying to stop him from being able to sell gasoline at discount prices. It even indirectly resulted in Rebecca's death because had JR gotten Thurman's refinery, he wouldn't have been trying to buy the refinery which Rebecca was on her way to when she was killed in a plane crash.

Since Rebecca felt the need to Cliff's job for him, she was on the plane which crashed. This made Katherine blame Cliff for her mother's death. It made Pam blame Bobby for her mother's death to such a degree that right after her mother died, she separated from Bobby and then divorced him.

What would realistically happen? JR wouldn't count on Sue Ellen dressing in a sexy dress and making Thurman feel like she was attracted to him to clinch the deal. That's not his style. JR would have done something that ensured Thurman would have felt very satisfied after that dinner, so much that he'd give JR credit for him having such a great night and therefore sell his refinery to JR.

The way JR would typically have ensured this scenario is instead of relying on his wife to charm the man (which she tried to do but failed), he would have had it professionally handled by a call girl such as Serena. He would have done something like met Thurman at a restaurant to discuss the deal, have Serena "accidentally" bump into them and then he'd ask Serena is she'd like to join them. She'd say since she'd been stood up, she'd be glad to have their company. Then she'd complain about her problems finding a suitable man to date and start flirting with Thurman.

End result: Serena accomplishes for JR what Sue Ellen couldn't have and goes above and beyond what Afton was willing to do, but hated doing. Serena could have told Thurman how great of a lover he was and how much she'd like to see him again - something above and beyond what even Afton would be willing to do.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +260
    1. A bunch of rich people that couldn’t stand one another living under the same roof.

2. Everyone seems to come into money.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +385
    LOL - everybody got rich. Cliff, Pam, Ray, Sue Ellen (the drunk-turned-lingerie-whiz), Gary, Valene.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,951
    I just don’t buy grizzled cowboy Ray Krebbs (in a kerchief, no less) going to the opening of the new Braddock Disco just so Bobby could see him with Lucy and slug him one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Billy Wall

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +260
    The Ewings inviting all their enemies to the Ewing BBQ. Did Cliff ever miss one? Lol

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,338
    Medals:
    A similar idea was introduced toward the end of the series when Clayton gave JR the "voting rights" to Dusty's shares in Westar. I didn't expect Dusty to actually walk into the room like he did but it was always obvious that voting rights were worthless without owning the shares that went with them.

7. Jon Ewing Jr.

Jon Ewing Jr. Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +69
    What about when JR sold off the Southeast Asia deal? Wouldn't there have had to have been more of a waiting period from a bank to borrow that much money?

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,144
    Medals:
    J.R. The reason I have opened this up to you is I know you can come up with the cash. The question is, how fast?
    Andy Bradley (Chuckling) Do we have a couple of hours?
    They all laugh
    J.R. Well, all jokes aside, that's about all you do have. I need that money fast, or I don't need it at all.

If you watch that scene again, you can see the actors really enjoying themselves. Seasoned actors, each one of them. Just enjoying playing the scene.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Billy Wall

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I should have added this scene in the “little scenes that you vividly remember” thread. Von “IT WAS CROOKED” Leland standing in the background with a devious grin was classic.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    I've heard that when good actors are enjoying themselves is usually when they do their best work. Have you also heard that?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,144
    Medals:
    I've heard that as well. You could tell that Jim Davis was having fun playing those scenes that showed off his range. "I gave you power? . . . "
    What a great storyline for Jock.

And this is another example. Dennis Patrick was having fun with that pompous smile, that cat-that-ate-the-canary look. He played it way over the top, making us want to punch him in the face (or screw him out of 20 million dollars).
    Barely able to spit those words out through clenched teeth.
    What actor wouldn't have love some of those juicy roles?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Yes! That's not only my favorite Jim Davis performance in Dallas, but it's what I consider the single greatest monologue (is that the right word?) in Dallas history. JR had some great monologues too when he would look at the portrait of Jock and speak to Jock. Jim Davis/Jock was always involved one way or the other which proves two things:

1. Jim Davis had such a strong presence that even though he was only in the first 4 seasons, his performances in those first four seasons were powerful enough to keep having Jock remain a main character even though for 10 out of 14 seasons he was only there "in spirit."

2.. The producers/show runners did a wonderful job of "keeping Jock alive" by writing storylines which allowed for that to happen. I don't include the story of him saving a family of Jews from the Nazis as part of that wonderful job either sine that was a little bit over the top/trying too hard. What I do include is anytime Jock and the memory of him was influential in a storyline, either for the purpose of motivating one of his sons during a troubling time, or when something he actually did that had remained undiscovered until now provided the substance upon which a storyline could be written and there were a bunch of those. Sometimes it would be positive such as when he bought back Ewing Oil from Wallace Windham after Digger and Jason sold their shares to Wallace. Sometimes it would be negative such as when Donna discovered that Jock and Sam Culver together had had Jonas Culver committed to a sanitarium for what was to be a month or two so they could conduct business without his interference, but Jonas couldn't handle being trapped there, even temporarily, and committed suicide as a result.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,645
    Medals:
    The most unrealistic thing in Dallas was the idea that Priscilla Presley could act and would convincingly be a rival to Pamela for Bobby's affections.

However as far as storylines goes I thought LeAnn de la Vega selling a multi-million dollar company (Ewing Oil) to Michelle Stevens for a pittance just because she knew it would annoy JR was completely unrealistic.

The ludicrous number of remarriages: JR and Sue Ellen marry each other twice, Bobby and Pam marry each other twice, Lucy and Mitch marry each other twice, Gary and Valene marry each other twice (and a third time on Knots Landing) just so the conflicts within those marriages could resume or to reignite the strife it would cause within the Ewing family .

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Gold Canyon 340

Gold Canyon 340 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I've got one!

With zero political experience and a very short campaign, Bobby just becomes a senator out of nowhere....Then, all of a sudden, he's not a senator anymore.... totally unrealistic just to amp up all the family drama surrounding Takapa!

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,268
    The women wearing fur coats.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +784
    Medals:
    Add - in Texas in the summer - lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +205

18. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +784
    Medals:
    I think you’re missing your statement.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. Jon Ewing Jr.

Jon Ewing Jr. Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I tell ya another one. I cant imagine a 75 year old man going on a mission for the US government to South America to work finding oil. Remember he had had open heart surgery just a couple of years before. Kind of a good send off for Jock but not really rational I think.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  20. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Thanks for that Stevew, I guess I will try this way.

No doubt about it the Voting Shares was unrealistic and stupid. I would add to that JR, who was at Ewing Oil since he was 15 would not have accepted this lying down and without comment. He would have been on the phone to Jock or gone there himself to speak to Jock.

Now as for what I found as unrealistic were:

1. Pamela kidnaps John Ross and no one really has much of a response. JR did yell at her but come on, most men would have done far worst to her. Also Jock and Ellie not kicking her off the ranch as well. Bobby was a crappy brother so I was not surprised.

2 JR accepting James Beaumont as his son no questions asked was not realistic especially given how JR was with Jamie. That and his displacing John Ross in JR's life which was hard to watch.

3 The Hayleyville storyline. Everything about that was not only unrealistic and stupid as well. There is no way that anyone let a very wealthy man like JR Ewing would have let these people get away with their crimes. False imprisonment and abuse that he endured. Also, that everyone that JR encountered would not accept his offer of money to help him escape. He could bring the feds upon them. Finally, the sheriff having the nerve to come to JR's office like he did was especially unrealistic and stupid. I would be smarter of him to stay out of JR's radar so that he won't be calling the FBI.

4. Bobby being a State Senator. The committee purposely overlooked Cliff Barnes who has a lot of experience and chose Bobby Ewing, a novice to run an open seat in the state senate? Yes that was not realistic.

5. Ellie accepting Ray into her family. Its one thing for Ellie to forgive Jock for his cheating on her but its another thing for her to accept him. Being civil is OK but not this where she sides with him against her son.