Unrealistic Things In Dallas Obviously Created Just For The Sake Of Conflict

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,480
    Medals:
    THIS yes and the awful Vanessa Beaumont storyline. Larry didn't even remember who she was when questioned a couple of years later.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +142
    1. Bobby’s a crappy brother? That’s laughable.

2. Definitely agree that JR replacing John Ross with that idiot James was a jumping the shark moment.

3. I can definitely see Miss Ellie accepting Ray as one of her own. I remember Miss Ellie once saying that they had a feeling that Ray was Jock’s son all along.

3. Billy Wall

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +142
    That doesn’t shock me. I’m willing to bet that most of these actors probably saw these episodes one time many years ago. Most fans can tell you more about Dallas than they can. Steve Kanaly didn’t even remember Brad Pitt was on the show and they had scenes together.

4. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +779
    I'm not laughing. I understand the intent behind the post to which you're replying. At that time, and that's the key phrase, Bobby was not being as good of a brother as he usually was. So relatively speaking, @lbf522 called Bobby "a crappy brother." Does that mean Bobby always was that way? No! At and around that particular time he wasn't being too good, and certainly not as good as usual.

Bobby didn't seem to know how to control Pam and more disturbingly, he didn't seem to understand what a major incident this was. Pam kidnapped John Ross! There is no nice way to put it. It was kidnapping and Bobby said he didn't approve of what Pam did but he didn't impose any real consequences to let Pam know just how bad of thing she'd done.

It was 1990. There was no shark left to jump.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Billy Wall

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +142
    But what exactly was Bobby supposed to do to Pam? He was mad that she got involved and if I remember, he got on Sue Ellen for getting her involved. And let’s face it, JR was exactly Ward Cleaver or Mike Brady. Lol

I actually believe JR had more reason to be mad at Lucy for taking John Ross.

6. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +779
    Couple more things:

The Sanitarium Storyline: The whole thing was poorly done. To think JR would have allowed himself to get caught in that situation and that his lawyer would've been dumb enough to get JR stuck there with no way out. All so JR could vote with shares he didn't own - how was that worth that amount of risk?

Nobody Knowing Whether Or Not Jock Had Owned All Of Ewing Oil, or if Digger and Jason actually owned a third each. It's inconceivable this would have been treated so lackadaisically by Jock that JR and Bobby almost lost two thirds of their company to Cliff and Jamie.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +779
    Excellent point. They made a mockery of Ewing Oil in the process of having Bobby sell it, then having it sold again to Michelle. Ewing Oil, once the most sacred non-human character of the show, gets passed around like a call girl at the Cattleman's Club.

Worse yet: JR Selling Ewing Oil To Cliff - that would have ben unthinkable in the years when the show took itself seriously. It goes against everything JR stands for.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
  8. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +595
    Medals:
    Amen

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    The son and daughter of feuding families - one rich, one from the wrong side of the tracks - elope in New Orleans after a whirlwind romance and drive back to Dallas to face the consequences. Totally contrived and unrealistic!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Poor, poor Pam! She just wanted to be gooooood!! :danc::spinning:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Medals:
    But one helluva TV show!

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,095
    Medals:
    I don't disagree but it was based on the also unlikely notion that the never before mentioned Vanessa was his one true love.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +185

Not only that but her living on the ranch of the man who she believes cheated her father out of what it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lastkidpicked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Medals:
    You know, there is precedence for Bobby and Pam's forbidden relationship:

Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things (on this board, this thread's not finished)
    Some shall be pardoned, and some shall be punished.
    For never was a story of more woe
    Than this of Juliet and her Romeo.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. Lastkidpicked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Medals:
    I'm a Texas poet
    And didn't know it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  16. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +779
    I think Pam eventually recognized the truth. Cliff was too far gone to accept the truth. When Digger Barnes and Jock Ewing parted ways, Digger was only in his early to mid twenties. He had a whole lifetime ahead of him to make a fortune with that mountain of talent he had (being able to smell oil 5,000 feet underneath the ground). If he'd actually possessed the talent he claimed to have, after he and Jock Ewing parted ways there would have been any number of oil company owners more than eager to get Digger on their payroll. Imagine how valuable a man who could smell oil thousands of feet underground would have been to any of them!

There are only two reasons Digger didn't parlay that rare talent of his into making millions and millions of dollars:
    1. He was a fraud who didn't possess that talent and was only capable of making money under Jock's guidance
    2. He was so self-destructive that any future employer considering putting him in a position of true importance and responsibility decided whatever talent he possessed was outweighed by the problems he brought with him; i.e. Digger was a bigger liability than asset.

Pam was smart enough to realize Jock and Miss Ellie and her own husband Bobby were being honest with her in telling her Digger Barnes would have ended up the way he did whether there had ever been a Jock Ewing or not. Additionally, Digger needed Jock's guidance. The only time in his entire career when Digger ever was successful was when he was working under Jock's guidance. Digger was never successful without Jock, whether working for another oil company owner or working on his own.

As a child, Pam was susceptible to Digger's lies. As an adult, Pam was too mature to ignore the fact that Digger's lies (as Scotty Demerest would have put it) "stretched the imagination a bit too far."

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
  17. lbf522

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +185

Good analysis. I have wondered why Digger either did not take Jock to court or try and have a career of his own.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +595
    Medals:
    To me that’s the kind of thing that’s the most bothersome. I can handle a stretch of reality, it’s fiction. But when the writers betray the fiction they’ve been telling, it becomes annoying. It’s like we’re being force feed a story for the shake of the writer’s jollies and not our enjoyment. Unrealistic to the real world is fine, unrealistic to the fictional world they created is not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Lastkidpicked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Medals:
    I've been re-watching season 4. This is the season where Bobby runs Ewing Oil while J.R. recovers from his shooting.

It is one of those seasons where you really do look forward to the next episode to see what will happen next. The characters develop even more fully, J.R. ups the ante, and plenty of Jock Ewing screen time.

I very much enjoy watching as Bobby becomes more like J.R. every episode, and even opening up some great Sue Ellen and Pam dialogue:
    Sue Ellen: "Ewing men are the same. Love and affection come only after business and power." and "Pam, how were things between you and Bobby when he was president of Ewing oil?" Those two should have teamed up more often. Their scenes were great.

BUT. . .

Trying to create conflict between Bobby and Pam just seemed so forced. They have a dinner party to attend, but Bobby wants to buy a solar company and wants to fly to Oklahoma city that afternoon to look things over. "I'll be home in time for the dinner party. I promise."

Well, of course things take longer than anticipated and he misses the dinner party.

Come on, people! The sun has been shining for billions of years! I think Bobby could have waited one more day to look at a solar company!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. lbf522

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +185
    I agree. The problems that Bobby and Bobby had were contrived. It was for drama's sake and did not have to be realistic.

Regarding realism, how about Bobby's kidnappers asking for Cliff to intercede with the ransom. It did gave us that scene of JR ordering his men to start shooting as Cliff was in the line of fire and the viewer wondering if JR had done that on purpose or not.