World Cup Qualification Round Usa Soap Opera Qualifying Round

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Angela Channing, Jul 9, 2019 at 1:45 PM.

1. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,976
    Medals:
    Does Soap count ie Tates and Campbells

id opt for Flamingo road as i liked John beck and how can you pass on a name like lane Balou and Lute Mae, who we caled slutty May at school
    Titans

thats my lot, Only Dallas really did it for me xx

• Like Like x 1
  2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,593
    Medals:
    AC has the final word, of course, but even when it aired, ABC touted the show as a sitcom. All its Emmys came in comedy categories, and lord knows it was hilarious. The serialized format and nods to soap operas (the incidental music, the announcer doing recaps, the excellent cliffhangers) muddies the waters, but I would still categorize it as a sitcom. I would also add that Susan Harris's writing (the pacing, the familial connections, the interweaving of plots) and skill at characterization makes Soap a better soap opera than some "real" soap operas. Had she not played it all for laughs, it would hold up as a soap opera; it would have been interesting if they could have lured her into head-writing a "real" soap opera to see how well she could branch out beyond comedy.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  3. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,593
    Medals:
    I should add my honorable mention before I forget: the action-packed, edge-of-your-seat thrill-ride known as

As the Stomach Turns (via The Carol Burnett Show)

Burnett is a famous fan of daytime soaps, so of course she'd have a running series of skits spoofing soaps on her variety show.

4. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,291
    Medals:
    Although Soap had some elements of a soap opera, it was more of a sitcom than a soap opera so I'm not going to include it.

Totally agree.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  5. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,593
    Medals:
    Barely-topical tidbit: Susan Harris's first husband was a soap actor named Berkeley Harris. They had a child together, but got divorced. She later married her collaborator/producer partner, Paul Junger Witt. Berkeley Harris later married the venerable soap legend Beverlee McKinsey (of Another World and Guiding Light). So Susan Harris had more than a passing knowledge of how soaps work.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +451
    Medals:
    I've already made my nominations so can't nominate any more shows; however, for those of you struggling for inspiration about what shows should be included in the vote you could always consider nominating CHARMED.

This was a supernatural soap from the Aaron Spelling stable which centred on the lives of a group of sisters who were witches who used their magical powers to overcome evil and to thwart demons.

It was an excellent soap which aired not that long ago on digital tv in the UK.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,593
    Medals:
    If someone were to nominate Charmed, I think there would be some discussion about whether or not it counts as a true soap opera, since its episodes were mostly self-contained.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    No votes for Twin Peaks? I am shocked.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,694
    Medals:
    Two of the shows I have listed have already been nominated. However my second choice hasn't been mentioned so far and I feel deserves a place in the next round. Emerald Point N.A.S. was a one season wonder in the 1983 - '84 period focusing on an Air Force unit, in the mould of the big 4. The show featured an actor who also later appeared in the twilight years of DALLAS and another actor who featured in the last third of FALCON CREST.

1) THE COLBYS

2) EMERALD POINT N.A.S.

3) SANTA BARBARA

• Like Like x 4
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    It's not one of the best prime time soaps, but I'd love to re-watch it some day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +561
    1. All My Children
    2. The O.C.
    3. Revenge

• Like Like x 3
  12. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,528
    Medals:
    I'm kind of mad that I never watched Emerald Point when all of it was on YouTube. I found the opening episode to be boring and Dennis Weaver to be a weak lead. However, I should have stuck with it as I'm sure Jill St John, Maud Adams & Sela Ward would've got me through.

13. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,640
    Medals:
    I'd say it's easily the dullest of the lot.

14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    Susan Dey, otherwise an entertaining actress, had a terrible part - and it wasn't even trashy fun like Paper Dolls. Most of the other characters seemed bland and soulless, apart from the resident vixen played by Sela Ward.
    But in the grand scheme of things it's not very important, die-hard soap fans need to know what it's like, and with only one full season it's not much of an investment.

I would expect even less from BERRENGER'S - but if I had the chance to watch all episodes I'd still do it.
    There's something enchanting about these vintage prime time soaps, and I'll take the bad with the good. And it's always possible to be pleasantly surprised.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,593
    Medals:
    I watched Emerald Point in its original run, and other than Sela Ward, I remember virtually nothing about it. Whenever she would pop up on something I'd know I was going to be entertained. I wonder if they were afraid to portray high-ranking military members in a negative light, given the era. I watched The Monroes in 1993 or so, and they certainly had no qualms about portraying high-ranking politicians that way--heck, the daughter was having an affair with President Clinton! (But then, who wasn't?)

16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
  17. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,640
    Medals:
    That was my feeling. Because the American military was at the heart of the series and the American military is this sacred real-life thing, you couldn't satirise it or portray it as corrupt in the same way that you could big business or politics. So anything potentially soapy or juicy could only happen around the edges of the show, while this big untouchable monolith took up most of the space. It's kind of the opposite problem that PAPER DOLLS and later MODELS INC had. While the military was EMERALD POINT's big, heavy, unmalleable focal point, the world of fashion and models was too ephemeral and fast-moving and intangible to sink one's teeth into dramatically. There was nothing really there to get a hold of.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 7:30 PM
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,120
    Medals:
    Yes, there should be a lot at stake even before the story begins, and that's usually the case with the big industries or immense properties.
    If you pick something less important then you'll need to "shrink" the universe, and if you live in the small world of the Tuscany Valley then it's hard to ignore the machinations of Angela, Carlo and the Falcons (and lots of international crime conveniently found its way to Angela's doorstep).
    Bickering about a new lipstick line on a more international scale should make even the most faboo people cringe a little.
    PAPER DOLLS wasn't claustrophobic enough, and I guess no-one cared about Tyger's perfume imperium in BARE ESSENCE.
    But it totally works in novels, the more personal experience of the reader vs. the printed words automatically shrink that whatever universe.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1