Useless (But Fun) DYNASTY Tidbits & Trivia

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Gabriel Maxwell, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,897
    I recall a long DYNASTY thread on the old SOAPCHAT forum which was filled with pages and pages of trivia, so - as I've recently immersed myself in the archives of old newspapers and magazines - I thought of posting a collection of little nuggets of useless information about our good ole lily pond show that I happen to come across and may not have known before.

I begin with an April 1986 report on Pamela Bellwood's departure from DYNASTY. Upon filming her final scenes, Bellwood placed a full-page ad in the industry trade paper VARIETY, which read "Goodbye Dynasty, 1980-1986." The reporter noted "soap opera actresses usually quietly slink off, but Bellwood wanted everyone to know she was available for other projects".

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,339
    Medals:
    So... did the investment help? :D

3. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +575
  4. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,129
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Well, at least those two roles she played in "Murder She Wrote" were inspirationally named: Vivian Proctor and Vanessa Cross. They sound like they would be fun to watch...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,897
    Eeew! I'm coming across multiple -- and I mean multiple -- articles from the summer of 1988 all the way to the early 1990 (at the time of his divorce) placing - to paraphrase Cecil Colby - Catherine Oxenberg into a circle of women dallying with the future President Donald Trump. Tired of rumors she said to PEOPLE in 1990: "I hardly know the man." Donnie Two Scoops is known for calling tabloids to leak stories about himself, so it wouldn't be a surprise the Dotard himself invented an imaginary affair with the Princess of Yugoslavia.

There's not that many Heather Locklears out there. And even her career went south after Daddy Warbucks passed away in 2006.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,776
    Medals:
    Shame we never saw Bellwood in other things she’s a good actress who somehow turned the crappy Dynasty scripts into something worthy

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,112
    Medals:
    "Eeew" is right! YUCK!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,897
    A few more random tidbits: on October 5, 1988 a wire report claims Pamela Sue Martin's demands killed her return as Fallon on Dynasty, but she was one of the 3 actresses Dallas producers had in mind (a reluctant Victoria Principal and Santa Barbara's Margaret Michaels being the other 2) if they decided to bring back Pam Ewing during the upcoming season.

On Wednesday, March 27, 1985 Catherine Oxenberg was back on the Dynasty set with a stiff neck (I assume filming the final scenes of the 5th season) after she totaled her BMW on Monday while she was driving to the set of the Merv Griffin Show where she was a guest. The actress said her brakes failed while she tried to stop at a red light.

Dynasty branded merchandise which already hit the $500 million mark at retail at its peak back in the fall of 1984 was still pulling in a lot of money in 1988 - a likely factor in the producers bending backwards to strike a deal with ABC to bring it back for a 9th season despite the falling ratings. In November 1988, it was reported 'Forever Krystle' which was introduced in 1984 was still the #4 best selling fragrance in mass market, while 'Carrington' which had been introduced in 1985 was also still available.

Michael Nader originally auditioned for the role of Peter DeVilbis, but he ended up competing with five other actors for the Dex Dexter role. The producers sat on it for awhile, because they originally sought a fair-haired Middle Westerner for the role and they were in a little doubt about a dark haired European type.

Joan Collins' original DYNASTY contract signed in the summer of 1981 was for 22 episodes at a reported $500,000 with an additional 2-year option should the show survive beyond the 2nd season. The casting of Collins was first reported in August 1981, shortly before production of season 2 began. According to those reports, Collins was signed after negotiations collapsed with Eleanor Parker who was supposedly set to play the Alexis character.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. colbyco

colbyco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +440
    - That seems to be the car accident we saw in "The guilty pleasure" movie ...

10. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,753
    Medals:
    Eleanor Parker would have been a good choice; the character she played in the Sound of Music was basically Alexis transported to 1930s Austria.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,983
    Medals:
    *bings Eleanor Parker*

[​IMG]

Hm, sort of a ginger Ava Gardner. Could she play Angela Channing?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,753
    Medals:
    I think she could have. In many ways, Jane Wyman was an unusual (but inspired) choice as she generally played wholesome characters in her films whereas Eleanor Parker had more of an edge. I could see her playing Angela or Alexis.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,129
    Medals:
    Not Angela. I can´t imagine Parker walking through her lands without complaining about the horses´ smell or the humidity affecting her skin...

[​IMG]

That was so Alexis (or even so Sable!). Parker, like Angie Dickinson, belongs to the breed of movie ladies whose dignity was not tarnished by one or another supersoap (not that it really mattered, especially to us!). The same kind of star Donna Reed also was before saying yes to playing a certain matriarch...so Parker and co. should´ve been relieved by that once the genre became old-fashioned...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,983
    Medals:
    But it's not easy to stay in the movie business for such a long time, unless you're Meryl Streep. Or a man.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,774
    Medals:
    Interestingly, a few years prior to Dynasty, Joan and Eleanor starred together in the film Sunburn where Joan played the Alexis-esque Nera.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,129
    Medals:
    Or Bette Davis (and I can think of a few others like Shelley Winters, Angela Lansbury, or Fred Astaire, who kept on working maybe because they didn´t depend on their physical appearances). Anyway, I meant that the old-fashioned stars didn´t go through a crisis, they just "retired". And no matter how much they wanted to act again, like Gloria Swanson, but not even then there were enough interesting roles for middle-aged women. Not to mention that 90% didn´t want to play "the mother type" or much less, "the grandmother type". We should be forever grateful they could get Jane Wyman, Barbara Stanwyck, Alexis Smith, Lana Turner, Kim Novak, or Ava Gardner out of their pseudo-retirements, even for special appearances...Without them our shows would be much less...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  17. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +575
    Jessica Walter was also rumored for the role of Alexis.

• Like Like x 1
  18. colbyco

colbyco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +440
    - Didn´t Esther wanted her so badly?

19. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +575
    I don't know. But ironically Jessica Walter played 2 years later a character modeled on Alexis in "Bare Essence".

20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,983
    Medals:
    "Alexis" became sort of a synonym for "TV Villainess" but I wouldn't say that every female soap villain was an Alexis clone.
    I haven't seen the sequel series but the "Ava" from the mini-series was a cross between Sable Colby and Julia Blake (Paper Dolls).
    Does anyone know why they didn't ask Lee Grant for the sequel series, or maybe she didn't want to do it?