V. Rowell case dimissed.

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by TJames03, Feb 18, 2017.

1. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +321
  2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,880
    I wonder if "Woman, you nuts!" was part of the judge's written statement?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +363
    Why should it be? After all, it was the court which allowed Ms Rowell to pursue her case against Sony and Days. When the parties reached an out-of-court settlement, there was no more case to be pursued through the court. So what else was the judge to do but dismiss the case.

I don't have to wonder who's wit-less here.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  4. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,880
    A grand jury would likely review the material and recommend whether a case should go forward (that is, head to a judge/jury for actual litigation). The criteria for the grand jury to send it to a judge is much lower than a judge's standards for litigating an actual case. It's up to the judge to say "This is a waste of the court's time," if not "This case has no merit." In this case, apparently there was no opportunity to say either.

The out-of-court settlement was to get her to go away, to be sure; you can't bully someone into hiring you. You can, however, bully someone into giving you money to leave you alone. Some call it extortion, others call it mugging...there are many legalistic terms. In this case it gets called "out-of-court settlement". This never would have gone as far as it had if it was just John Smith trying to force the local McDonalds to hire him. Her attorneys likely saw dollar signs in using a C-list celebrity to grab a few headlines (and a lot of $$$) to help their own careers, knowing full well their case didn't hold water. If it had been John Smith versus McD's, the attorney likely would have laughed him out of the office. Nuisance lawsuits involving celebrities however are often a win-win for the plaintiffs and their attorneys since the celebrity gets attention (as does the attorney to a lesser extent), and the lawyers obviously have tons of bill-able hours. Since the US doesn't have "loser pays" legislation (as in "pays all legal fees for both parties") in such cases, there is no real punishment for people who file such frivolous lawsuits. Money-grubbing trial attorneys can keep such lawsuits going as long as their client has money to pay them. An out-of-court settlement likely saved Sony money in the long run, which is all they really care about. It's likely most of the money she gets will go to paying off the attorneys (typical of so many cases) but whatever money she has left afterwards will have to stretch. It will be a tough sell for any casting director to recommend her for a role when she has this history of defaming and criticizing her former bosses out of one side of her mouth while trying to bully them into hiring her back out of the other side of her mouth. "Hire me so I can criticize you and turn the set into a battleground as I force everyone to take sides" isn't exactly a selling point.

• Like Like x 3
  5. superman fan

superman fan Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +490
    She is a bucket of crazy :confused:

• Like Like x 1