Victoria - 40 years of Dallas

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Victoriafan3, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,159
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,429
    Interesting how that magazine is using VP to promote the anniversary party that she is not going to.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,159
  4. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +191
    • Agree Agree x 5
  5. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,159
    Like so petty. They took her car park away? No wonder she doesn’t have fond memories of her last days on Dallas :-(

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +636
    I love, admire & respect Victoria...but....no one knew she was leaving...? Seriously..? Whether or not Lorimar were told the fact that she never ever ever discussed it with any of the cast is quite bewildering.It's as if she had no normal every day conversations with anyone, even BBG & Ken who she says she was close to.

7. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,473
    I have always loved and respected Victoria
    She had beauty as well as brains - but above all else she has integrity, she is objective in respect of the quality of the scripts going down hill
    She could have easily have said yes to a new contract (and by S13 larry and Pat were phoning in their lines) made herself a whole lot of more money but she didnt, she remained true to her principles and walked away from one of the hottest shows on TV and i have always admired that about her. The newbies / females were pretty awful and it was never really the same show again (sadly)
    Se realised that Dallas was going down hill and jumped ship at just the right time.
    She was the most important female cast member in her role as Pam and Pams links to Dallas history both past and present and the show really suffered for her leaving
    By the 1983 she had totally over taken larry as the cast member who was in the press daily and she was HOT

She obviously had a business head and a brain and went onto make millions in a new career. She is the one cast member I would jump on a plane and cross the Atlantic to see, but she doesnt need to promote Dallas, it was a part of her life but she moved on, I wish she did promote Dallas but I totally understand why she doesnt. She created Pamela Ewing and that was good enough for me, Bobby and Pam on screen were so believable and my fav Dallas couple.

And if she was to meet Pat D now I hope she would tell him to get that ridiculous pony tail cut off! That would be grounds for divorce in my book

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,473
    PS As for taking her parking space off her! How petty! Seriously Lorimar?? After 9 years on Dallas and thats how you treat her

:lame:

(sure Uncle Lennie had it ear marked for SJW!!)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,606
    Why do her hardcore fans always think she was such an objective of "jealousy" to the other people on the show??
    Well, she always has her versions of things. Apparently she was indeed willing to do one more season as long as she got financial parity with Duffy. Lorimar wanted two more seasons and offered her a big raise, but not as much as she asked for. (Lorimar said at the time that her demands "were very high"). A year later, Larry reportedly brought an offer to dinner with Victoria that matched her salary request, but by then she had no interest in returning to the show (quite rightly, as she later said it was obvious that DALLAS' best years were behind it).

At the time, in 1987, her public statement was, "CBS and Lorimar have always been very generous with me."

I wonder if the parking space issue, if accurate, is what caused her to shut down the studio for a day....

10. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,606
    Victoria is really one for pushing the brilliance of the first five years of DALLAS. And while some of it was certainly good, the writing -- and Principal's acting -- was much better and more consistent during her last five years on the show (not including the dream season, of course, and the dream resolution itself; and while Pam got a little whiney at home during her final season, she remained quite competent in the workplace at Barnes-Wentworth).

[​IMG]

11. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,473
    Lovely interview

Dallas' at 40: Victoria Principal Remembers the Classic Drama on Landmark Anniversary

Jim Halterman April 01, 2018 11:00 am

https://www.tvinsider.com/676668/victoria-principal-interview-dallas-40th-anniversary/

[​IMG] The Everett Collection

Who Shot J.R.? Pam's dream. Sue Ellen's drinking. Jock Ewing's death. Miss Ellie's mastectomy.

We could go on with the storylines that we think of when anyone talks about the iconic CBS drama, Dallas. The series ran from 1978 to 1991, with 357 episodes, one spin-off (the long-running Knots Landing), several TV movies and one reboot with many of the original cast on TNT that lasted from 2012-2014.

Monday marks the 40th anniversary of the primetime soap's April 2, 1978, premiere, so it was a good time to catch up with original cast member Victoria Principal, whose character of Pamela Barnes Ewing was a fan favorite from day one and continued to resonate with the show even after Principal left the series in 1987.

What are Principal's memories of the show, working with Patrick Duffy (Bobby Ewing) and Larry Hagman (J.R. Ewing), and how is her work outside the entertainment industry? We asked the actress, and here's what she told us.

[​IMG]
    Victoria Principal as Pamela Barnes Ewing on Dallas.

What do you remember about that first day of shooting as Pamela?
    Victoria Principal:
    What I remember most about the first day of shooting Dallas was an unexpected feeling of deja vu. Everything was new to me; I was nervous, and yet I felt strangely sure that I was where I was supposed to be and with the people I was supposed to be with as though this had happened before.

It was very cold, which was unexpected, but we all pulled together and made it work. Patrick and I were shooting in “Bobby’s” red Mercedes with the top down…HAHA! That is how it was written in the script as no one could have predicted the sudden cold snap and ice.

I remember looking up at [executive producer] Lenny Katzman as he leaned outside the car door giving us direction and thinking that I trusted him and would do my best to please him. I remember looking at Patrick when he did not know it and thinking, ”this is a nice person.” And that made falling into his arms and our love scenes that day so much easier and natural. I could go on and on because what I remember most about that day...is everything.

Did you imagine at the time that Dallas could become a long-running series?
    I believed that Dallas would be a hit from the moment I read it. In fact, I turned down a major role that would have conflicted with Dallas in the belief that I would be offered the role of Pam. So that happened!

Of course, you and Patrick had chemistry from day one. Was it as hard for you as it was for the fans when Pam and Bobby split?
    I understood why the writers chose to split up Pam and Bobby, but I always liked it when we got back together. I thought of Bobby and Pam as star-crossed lovers that were meant to be together.

Larry Hagman was bigger than life. What was it like going toe-to-toe with him as JR Ewing? He and Pam sure had their moments!
    Going toe to toe with J.R., a.k.a. Larry Hagman, was always a delight. Larry was a generous actor and would find a way to talk to me the morning of the scene about how we could make it even more powerful. I always welcomed his suggestions and later when he directed episodes of Dallas I anticipated his actors knowledge of acting combined with the intimate and insightful direction he would give me.

I won't ask you to pick a favorite, but does any storyline stand out when you look back as something you loved doing?
    I absolutely adored every episode the first five years. But if asked to single out one storyline it happens to be one that I was not featured in - the storyline involving Miss Ellie’s mastectomy. This was at a time when breast cancer was not openly discussed and I was so proud to be part of a show that explored and exposed the pain, fear, confusion and effects of breast cancer on a woman and everyone in her family.

Before the episodes on Dallas, breast cancer was whispered about in secrecy and fear. These episodes opened a national dialogue about an illness that affects too many women to this day. It took breast cancer out of the shadows and brought it into an open conversation. I was so proud of Barbara Bel Geddes and her performance. Just telling you this is simultaneously giving me goose bumps and making me cry. I shared all of this privately with Barbara…she was my hero.

We did not have social media back then but when did you know that Dallas had become an international phenomenon?
    We worked long hours for months on end. I watched very little TV (other than Dallas!), but I began to realize the impact domestically and then globally because I read the paper every day. The “Who Shot J.R." episode really put us over into a new stratosphere for television programming. Dallas was suddenly a worldwide hit!

In many ways, television has changed (or at least how we watch TV), but we still have our comedies, dramas, nighttime soaps...what are some shows you like to keep up with today?
    I enjoy a rather eclectic assortment of shows. What they all have in common is great writing, great production values and great acting…and I mustn’t leave out editing and scoring. The whole package.

[​IMG]
    Victoria Principal (Photo by Jeff Katz)

The show gave everyone involved a platform to launch other endeavors and I remember well your skincare, wellness and fitness books -- what are you working on these days?
    I continue to be passionately dedicated to running my skincare company, Principal Secret. We are about to celebrate 27 years in business. And I have never forgotten that Dallas gave me the springboard to achieve so many of my dreams.

I’m also currently writing my 5th book and I have a rescue ranch. I rescue and rehabilitate animals that have been neglected and abused. They need medical care, patience and love to recover physically, emotionally and in spirit. This is not a charitable organization but rather something I have dreamed of and they all live out the rest of their lives with me. It’s something that fills me with joy every day…but my business manager not so much.

I also created a charitable organization in 2006, The Victoria Principal Foundation For Thoughtful Existence. The impetus is to help financially support this beautiful planet and life upon it. I’m particularly involved with ecology, Oceans, banning toxic substances and helping children and animals.

Any plans to step back in front of the camera anytime soon?
    I have no plans to resume acting, but I learned a long time ago to "never say never" as life has a way of offering us unexpected gifts if we are paying attention.

Well, you didn’t ask me this, but it’s something I want to say since your questions stem from the upcoming recognition of the 40th anniversary of Dallas.

I would like to say…Gratitude is the heart’s memory. Thank you, Dallas. ❤️

For more on Principal Secret, visit the Facebook page and follow on Instagram.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,606
    Premeditated perhaps, but a genuinely nice thought: "Gratitude is the heart’s memory."

13. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,159
    Thank you for posting that lovely interview @Barbara Fan. Yay, she’s writing another book. That is a beautiful quote indeed - Gratitude is the hearts memory. She spoke fondly of Patrick and so nice her admiration of Barbara. It’s funny too, I thought a lot of Victoria’s best scenes were after Pam and Bobby split up and she was very prominent and strong right after he died. I’m very glad Victoria is giving these interviews. That makes it more of a very Happy birthday Dallas :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,343
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    To be honest, this is the first interview that rings true to me. All the others only feature "unquoted" quotes from previous interviews she has been giving in the last decade, so I didn´t take them seriously. You know, that #fakenews thingie...If this one is indeed true, she sounds so adorably "Pammie", with her farm of wounded animals and her mysterious fifth book (would a memoir be too much asking?)...

:pics:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +191
    I think Victoria is too private a person to release a memoir. She isn't the type of person who would talk about others either which is basically the purpose of a good memoir.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +394
    So basically because BBG and PD returned they thought she'd be scared to leave? Lol! Sorry, but VP has that "something" that you cannot quantify or buy. Though it's sad for us fans, good for her for not staying/returning.

The cast and producers seem petty, actually, and I'm not surprised about the behavior.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,159
    It is definitely true about her rescuedanimals @Toni. Especially ill-treated racehorses, they get a wonderful safe home thanks to VP :)

• Like Like x 3
  18. pd fan

pd fan Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +724
    Thanks BF for posting the Victoria interwiew it was very nice to her to share her Dallas memories with us ,I really like it :kiss::kiss:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +394
    BTW, it sounds almost as though VP was being harassed and stalked by the producers when they couldn't get her to resign.....this smacks not forced "intimidation."

20. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +394
    "I’m not going to say what I did, but I took the necessary hours to think about it and met with my attorneys and the producers."

Yikes! They shouldn't have fxcked with her!