Victoria Principal Reprises Pamela For Family Guy, But Not Dallas?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Billy Wall, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +68
    You mean to tell me that she couldn’t give Dallas one last cameo, but somehow Family Guy can convince her? What’s the deal? What ultimately made her not wanting to have anything to do with Dallas.

Also, I’m not talking about the reunion retrospective show that I believe she took part in some years ago.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +567
    Victoria Principal's logic is simple enough. Family Guy is spoofing the shower scene, while Dallas saw Pam drive into an oil tanker. She takes Bobby and Pam's story seriously, and doesn't see how a Pam appearance in Dallas from post-Season 10 DVD fits in anywhere. I must say that I agree with her, and I'm surprised that more fans don't feel the same.

And the 2004 Return to Southfork documentary fitted into Victoria's schedule, and a chance for good closure. If Barbara Bel Geddes hadn't been recently diagnosed with lung cancer at the time, she'd have been there too, but as it was she sent a letter to her former castmates which was read out on the show.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,021
    Victoria wasn't asked to participate in Dallas TNT - that's official from Cynthia Cidre. (who told me herself at the Channel 5 launch).

That's been documented now a few times.

4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,432
    Context is everything. As @Mustard states, the FAMILY GUY sketch was a satire, and that's totally different from returning to the show for real ---- although I'm not convinced BBG would have done the RETURN TO SOUTHFORK show in 2004 even if she'd been healthy.

And was Victoria not asked back to do nuDALLAS? We just can't trust any of these sources, even if we had lunch with them. David Jacobs had lunch with Cidre, too, to no avail. Some people on nuDALLAS say VP was never invited, even that the key castmembers blackballed her; VP says she was asked but turned them down, later making an angry press statement when she felt the scripts -- and some actors -- kept leading people on that she might return.

Who's telling the truth? They're probably all lying, Goddess bless them.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,021
    Well Cynthia DID tell me (and Colin) to our faces, but I see your point :hats:

6. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,924
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    She probably told one of her pond writers to find out if Pam Ewing was still alive (because she actually only had watched a few episodes of OR Season 11 because she identified with Cally...). He googled it and saw that scene with Margaret Michaels. And reported to the Cider House: "Don´t even bother. The b¡tch is dead!" End of the story.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,415
    Would Cidre ever lie? To anyone? It's not in her character to utter any preposterous lie--such as, say, that Dallas was her very own creation...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,130
    All I know is that Victoria is next to Jesus. In all ways. Everyone and everything else is a lie.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I'm glad Victoria never returned to the god awful Dallas 2.0 it truly was garbage of the highest order and was in no way relatable to the iconic original.

Dallas should've stayed in the 70s/80s

I dont even think it worked in the 90s. Very of its time and place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,432
    I would have loved the DALLAS reboot, in its wintry way, if only they hadn't gone so off track. They almost made it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,415
    Wasn't Satan sitting close to Jesus at some point, early on? :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,812
    I'm afraid Alexis is right on this one.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,415
    Nah. It ended up bad, but it had the potential to succeed on a smaller scale. I actually ended up watching the whole thing, even though I was not a big fan of the original, and only in the third season was I getting truly frustrated.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,130
    Until Victoria backhanded him to the dirt. Claiming her rightful place in heaven and in all our hearts forever. Amen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  15. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,131
    I agree. There is a difference when asked onto a show to "spoof" a scene as opposed to being invited to return to a series to reprise a role. Victoria has always stated when filming the scene crashing into the tanker that was the punctuation mark on her time as Pam and Dallas. What happened after this was on the producers and nobody else.

With regards to the events playing out during TNT Dallas and Pam is anyone's guess. I wouldn't have minded if Cynthia and her motley crew of plot driven writers had constructed a thought provoking story involving Pam. I've said it before. When Bum announced JR was searching for Pam in Abu Dhabi I got chills. Let's be honest here. Anything could have happened after Pam's (Margaret Michaels) last appearance. Heck. If Cynthia had contacted Victoria and said we're going to toy with your character but we'd like for you not to respond to media requests we would really appreciate it.

Here we were. Two of the most important characters in Dallas history; JR and Pam. Characters that despised each other but one was looking for the other. This story could have went in any direction and I would have went along for the ride. But it turned out Cynthia played us all for fools and lumped this fine mess on a character who was already on the nose with how he turned out; Cliff Barnes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,415
    With Hagman out, having Principal come in as Pam would have given the show a great boost. But I don't just think that Cidre alone couldn't have brought her back believably--I don't think anyone could. What would have justified Pam being kept away from her son for decades? I'm afraid it would have been the TNT Dallas' equivalent of the shower.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,522
    To be fair - she might have been asked if she was interested before the script to the pilot was even written, which makes sense in a way. It wasn't like they would've left Cidre without any key characters that she'd have to include.

18. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +197
    Victoria herself said she would have returned for the series finale in 1991 had it been a true series finale that wrapped up Bobby and Pam’s story. She told USA Today at the time that it would have been a nice “coda” on her time as Pam. But she didn’t want to do another cliffhanger. She didn’t consider Pam “dead” at that time. But she said in her statement about the TNT revival that she considered Pam dead after she left in 1987.

Even if they asked her to do the TNT revival, I think she would have declined. By that time, she had moved on and didn’t want to reprise that role 25 years later (as opposed to four years later in 1991).

19. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,021
    Unfortunately it does seem that way at times, and that people have some sort of conspiracy rather than daring to believe it's likely she was never asked....

I like Cynthia a lot. She was very kind to me and wrote me a personal letter regarding JR's death, so I am not going to slate her. Who knows what went on, all I do know is that there have been increasing rumours over the years that Victoria was not easy to work with or a popular cast member - but until someone writes a tell all book (which probably won't be believed either!) who knows!!! :crazy:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  20. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,130
    I'm still waiting for that "She shat in my coffee cup!" tell all book. Until it comes to light I must continue to believe in the power of Victoria. St Pamela of the Pure.