Wonder Woman "Violence, torture and sadomasochism": Professor Marston & The Wonder Women

Discussion in 'Comics Central' started by Mel O'Drama, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,047
    I wasn't aware of this film until tonight. It's an account of William Moulton Marston who created both Wonder Woman and the polygraph. And who had a less than conventional arrangement at home:

2. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,047
    After cannily teasing the movie during Wonder Woman's big opening weekend, Professor Marston And The Wonder Women, the biopic that includes the character's comic book creation story has put out its first trailer.

Luke Evans is Harvard grad Dr William Moulton Marston, the man who conjured up DC’s Amazonian princess in 1941. However, Marston didn’t envisage her alone, owing the character to two very important women: both of whom he lived and had children with at the same time. Rebecca Hall plays his wife, Elizabeth Holloway Marston (who assisted William in constructing the lie-detecting systolic blood-pressure test), with Bella Heathcote as the pair’s partner, Olive Byrne.

The creation of Wonder Woman was fraught with controversy, and should be a compelling story, which Angela Robinson has written and directed. Aiming to explore ideas of identity, BDSM and the furore that both the Marston's lives and Wonder Woman's early content caused, the drama also includes Connie Britton and Oliver Platt in the cast.

Professor Marston And The Wonder Women arrives in US cinemas on 27 October, but there is no word as yet on a UK release.

http://www.empireonline.com/people/luke-evans/first-trailer-professor-marston-wonder-women/

3. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,047
    The trailer for Professor Marston and the Wonder Women reveals how a love triangle between Harvard psychologist Dr. William Moulton Marston, his wife Elizabeth and Olive Byrne, fueled the creation of the Wonder Woman comics.

The film, based on real-life events, stars Luke Evans as Dr. Marston, Rebecca Hall as his wife and Bella Heathcote as their lover. The teaser suggests that the fiercely independent characteristics that made Wonder Woman radical when she appeared came directly from Marston's relationships with Elizabeth and Olive. All three lived together for a time.

"A woman must not be told how to use her freedom, she must find out for herself," Olive informs Marston. "If you want to understand the mind of a woman," adds Elizabeth, "you can start with that."

Connie Britton appears in the movie as an official interrogating Marston about his comics, which he published under the pen-name Charles Moulton. "Every issue of Wonder Woman is filled with violence, torture and sadomasochism," Britton exclaims. "This abnormal behavior of your comic is reckless."

Professor Marston and the Wonder Women was written and directed by Angela Robinson, who has worked extensively in TV (How to Get Away With Murder,True Blood). Her film follows the release of the popular Patty Jenkins-directed superhero movie Wonder Woman in June, which has grossed over $765 million to date worldwide, according to the site Box Office Mojo.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/...or-professor-marston-the-wonder-women-w492919

4. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,047
    Just this week I've finished reading Marvel Comics: The Untold Story.

It's made for fascinating reading, but it also removed a lot of the illusion. Many of these writers and artists are legends to me and were huge influences on my childhood, but some of them came out of it quite poorly with all the backstabbing and resentment and bitching that went on. I like some of those people less having read it - including Mr Marvel himself: Stan Lee. I'm glad I read it, but there's also a sadness to it. A loss of innocence, I suppose.

With that in mind, I've been reflecting on whether I want to see this film about the man who created one of my favourite comic book characters. I keep vacillating, but at the moment I'm leaning towards "probably".

Marston is a fascinating man and his interest in psychology has the potential to make quite substantial viewing. I know he was instrumental in the creation of the polygraph, but have never been clear on his role in that, so it will be good to see that expanded.

The trailer seems to indicate there will be a great deal of focus on his polyamorous relationship with his wife and Olive Byrne. Natural enough, I suppose, given that was a big part of his life. I suspect, too, it will focus on his preoccupation with bondage, which seems relevant to me as it directly influenced themes that have become a key part of Wonder Woman's world.

So it could be great, but I have a nasty feeling it's going to be more salacious than it needs to be. I hope I'm wrong.