1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

Vogue suspends Mario Testino and Bruce Weber amid sexual exploitation claims

Discussion in 'Celebrity Scuttlebutt' started by Barbara Fan, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,863
    Medals:
    And on it goes, think its getting a little bit out of hand and i think it unfair that maybe innocent men are being names and shamed and we dont know if its true.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42679585

Photographers Mario Testino and Bruce Weber have been suspended from working with fashion magazines including Vogue, amid allegations they sexually exploited male models and assistants.

A series of claims were made against the pair in a New York Times article.

Weber denies the claims, while lawyers for Testino said his accusers "cannot be considered reliable sources".

Vogue publisher Conde Nast said it would not work with the men "for the foreseeable future".

Artistic director Anna Wintour, who is also Vogue's editor-in-chief, said in a statement that the claims had "been hard to hear and heartbreaking to confront".

In a separate statement, Wintour and Conde Naste chief Bob Sauerberg also said they were "deeply disturbed" by the accusations.

Other Conde Nast titles include GQ and Vanity Fair.

In a statement to the New York Times from his lawyer, Weber said he was "shocked and saddened by the outrageous claims being made against me, which I absolutely deny".

Testino, whose past subjects include Kate Moss, Madonna, Michelle Obama and members of the Royal Family, was accused by 13 male assistants and models of subjecting them to sexual advances.

The paper reported that the legal firm representing Testino, 63, said those complaining of harassment could not be considered reliable, and that his lawyers had spoken to several former employees who were "shocked by the allegations" and "could not confirm any of the claims".

'Sexual predator'
    The allegations against Testino date back to the mid-1990s and include groping and masturbation, the paper reported.

Ryan Locke, a model who worked with Testino on Gucci campaigns, described him as a "sexual predator".

Hugo Tillman, a photographic assistant, said Testino pinned him down on a bed before being removed by another person.

Another assistant, Roman Barrett, said sexual harassment was a "constant reality".

He claims the photographer masturbated in front of him.

In 2014, the Peruvian photographer was made an honorary OBE for his services to photography and charity.

Testino has also long had ties to the Royal Family, photographing Diana, Princess of Wales, and more recently the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on their engagement and later, for the christening of Princess Charlotte.

He has worked with brands such as Burberry and Michael Kors and his photographs of Serena Williams and her newborn baby feature on the cover of the February edition of US Vogue.

US photographer Weber, 71, is accused by 15 current and former models of subjecting them to unnecessary nudity and coercive sexual behaviour, according to the New York Times.

Weber's work includes campaigns for Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren and Abercrombie & Fitch as well as several films.

Men said to the paper that they had asked to participate in "breathing exercises" which could include inappropriate touching, while model Bobby Roache said Weber tried to put his hands down Roache's trousers during a casting in 2007.

In her statement on the Vogue website, Wintour said: "Both (photographers) are personal friends of mine who have made extraordinary contributions to Vogue and many other titles at Conde Nast over the years, and both have issued objections or denials to what has emerged.

"I believe strongly in the value of remorse and forgiveness, but I take the allegations very seriously, and we at Conde Nast have decided to put our working relationship with both photographers on hold for the foreseeable future."

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,176
    Medals:
    But they want it to get out of hand, to scare innocent men perhaps more than the guilty ones.

I don't know about these two guys, but even TeenVogue recently said that innocent men being destroyed was essentially acceptable in order to overthrow The Patriarchy.

So all this will be interesting to watch.

3. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,863
    Medals:
    Its not, far from it, now it seems someone will be accused because they happened to touch someone on the knee 30 years ago, the 80s were different times then, think the 70s were even worse - slap n tickle and page 3 everywhere in UK
    I first went to Italy in 1997, we used to joke we would be upset if we didnt get our bottoms pinched by a local!! And they did!

I just love the hypocrisy of certain Hollywood actresses and British luvies who were all over the Weinsteins and Spaceys like a rash and keen to be photographed with them until the proverbial S+++ hit the fan and they went from King of the movies to persona non grata

I feel sorry for men who are innocent but tainted by this and mud sticks

PS love your wee owl @Snarky's Ghost

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,084
    Medals:
    That's exactly it. If an adult feels they've been harassed, why wait years or even decades to bring it to light. I fully appreciate that there will be a few who need that time to process something, but not the scores of people who are coming out of the woodwork.

It smacks of people desperate to jump on the bandwagon of something that's trending so they're not left out of getting some attention (and money).

I'm not speaking about this case specifically here - just the awful culture that social media has created in the past year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,077
    Medals:
    I have to say something here. Myself and other actresses from N Ireland were sexually harassed and worse by an acting agent here. Some of us were drugged, some were raped, others were mentally tortured. It took us YEARS to bring the man to a certain amount of justice and our fight is ongoing. By coincidence or not, we were able to bring it to the news before anything else broke in Hollywood. Tiny Northern Ireland! It can take a long time. People are afraid and it's a horrible industry to fight against. I'm not saying every person accused is guilty, but many of them are. Those who have been hurt do exist. It's very difficult for those of us who are victims having a shadow cast over us because maybe not everyone is genuine, but I'm more inclined to believe those who are speaking out.

When my ex agent was first brought to court it was in 2009 for assault. It has taken to 2017 to have him banned, but for those of us who he attacked, it's an ongoing battle.

I've been at the centre of this for nearly 10 years and fighting what he did to me. It was sexual, it was horrific. He doesn't have the clout or power that Hollywood has so we're having to fight harder. We don't know that other women aren't going through it too, regardless of who they are. :( Hollywood is powerful - it can shut you right up - or at least it used to be able to. More than one older actress has said to me ' you just have to put up with it'. Not any more.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40673389

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,176
    Medals:
    And your experiences are legitimate. My problem has been the recent trend of actresses and others asserting openly that false allegations directed towards innocent men are essentially just fine and even necessary.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1