Was Alexis triplex penthouse just the art studio re-dressed?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,342
    Medals:
    The steps are in the same place. The fireplace is in the same place. The elevator is where the studio's back door was, kind of. The spiral staircase leading up to her boudoir was where the big window was in the art studio...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  2. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,269
    Medals:
    Hm..:think:
    So they could use the same camera set up? I don't know...

3. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,342
    Medals:
    Well, being inside a sound stage, I'd assume the camera wouldn't be all that restrained in terms of where it could go. But if you already have a fireplace with ventilation in the studio's ceiling, and a set of steps and an elevated area already built, why not use it? All they had to do was add and take away stuff.

4. The Holiday Whore

The Holiday Whore Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,916
    Medals:
    For ages I couldn't see it. I still don't exactly, but it would make sense from the planning and space point of view. Though I am almost sure that DYNASTY moved studios at one point. I read it someplace. That they moved studios, like from Paramount to Fox or something like that and I think it happened around season 3. I don't know where I read that, but I think they needed a bigger studio.

If it did happen I would call it more than a redress of the set, I mean there were walls torn down and bits added and huge big windows put in etc. When the penthouse set was recycled for The Colbys it was more a redress. It's the exact same set repainted and just different furniture to make it into a restaurant.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,342
    Medals:
    Did they actually change studios, or did the studio just change ownership and names?

6. The Holiday Whore

The Holiday Whore Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,916
    Medals:
    I'm almost certain I read they moved to a larger studio space. Although I cant remember where I read it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Gatsbyesque

Gatsbyesque Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +428
    I was watching a YouTube clip the other day of one of the latter seasons. And there was a room that looked just like the art studio set. Can't remember what room, season, or episode, though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AndyLaird

AndyLaird Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +176
    They moved from Fox (which is on Pico Blvd in Century City) to Warner Hollywood, which is on Formosa Ave in Hollywood, and now known as The Lot. I think seasons 3 onwards were at Warner Hollywood.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Avery Merry Christmas

Avery Merry Christmas Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,278
    Medals:
    Daytime soaps re-dress old sets all the time. It's why you see so many daytime soap characters living in hotels: all the hotel's rooms look similar and one room (set) can be slightly re-decorated for multiple characters to use. But that's a conceit of their budget. I can't imagine Dynasty being forced to economize in such a way, though perhaps some set designer or construction foreman decided to re-use it out of laziness. I must say, from the pictures it looks like the same set components.

10. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    Medals:
    Well, yes - I only watch one daytime soap currently - Days - and they are notorious for their "blue hospital room", but it really gets used for any purpose.

With that said, Dynasty was hardly unique in redressing sets. Dallas blatantly re-used some sets too (the mysterious gym room that appears in season 12 or around that era comes to mind). Melrose Place is another soap that essentially had three sets to represent eight apartments - one for the single bedroom, one for two bedrooms and of course, Amanda's apartment which was the only one they didn't re-use. They'd essentially just re-furnish them whenever shooting scenes and change the colour of the counters.