1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was April Killed Off In Hope For Pam Return?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by cardiff1984, Sep 26, 2018.

1. cardiff1984

cardiff1984 Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +98
    For, what other reason would they kill off April? Did Sheree J Wilson want to leave the show?

The production must've realized the show was in further decline, since Pam left. The season April was killed it was the last. But, they took the risk to continue with the boring plots and a stupid outcome for a series finale.

And they should have seen the writing on the wall, that it wasn't being picked up for a 1991-92 season.

What was the purpose of killing of April and leaving dreary characters in the series 'til the end? Was there hope of a Pam twist to conclude the series, which they left too late, as CBS cancelled the show after 'Conundrum?

2. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,464
    Medals:
    No Victoria had no plans to return to the show, she had moved from Dallas and I admire her for that - and for not being tempted back by $$$$$$$

SJW wanted out as she was pregnant and wanted time with her new baby
    She waltzes down the SF staircase with a bump hidden badly with a bunch of flowers.

I wasnt a fan of the character/ actress on the show and Aprils ending was the best thing of the final season, it was pretty awful season and proof that Bobby and JR needed all the emsemble cast in the show to make it a hit. Dallas was never JR and Bobby for me - and they couldnt carry it

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Leonard saying it was his worst ever mistake he made killing April still makes me cringe to this day.

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. MenaceTheDennis

MenaceTheDennis Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I’ve heard Katzman has said this. Really goes to show how clueless he was about the latter years of Dallas. I didn’t mind SJW on the show, but she made a better vixen. That way she could’ve just left town or something instead being a Pam replacement. They got so many things wrong starting with the 1986-1987 season through the ending I could lose count of them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +725
    I've heard that the initial plan was to write Sheree J. Wilson's pregnancy into April's storyline where she had just married Bobby, but they changed their mind when it came through that it would be Dallas' last season, so they decided to kill April off. Leonard Katzman regretted killing her off, but I do laugh when he said that it was his biggest mistake on Dallas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,700
    Medals:
    Sometimes people's egos and control issues are such that they would rather destroy something utterly, and then claim that that destruction was the best thing that ever happened just to underline the mistake they made (and then assert that some trivial event was the "worst", adding deliberate insult to injury) to express that it's all about moi and everyone else can go to hell.

That's what Katzman was doing. He knew very well that the show he said he was trying to "save" instead spiraled on his autonomous watch, DALLAS dispensing more crap in its last 4 seasons (although I liked the 86/87 season minus the dream resolution which opened it, but the Paulsen was still there) than the dream season, though deeply flawed, ever did.

But he felt DALLAS was his to destroy, or at least that even if he'd destroyed it by accident, than better it die under his command than to die (or even thrive) under someone else's.

Remember that line shortly after JR's shooter was revealed, and he told Sue Ellen that he'd cut Bobby out of Ewing Oil even if he had to destroy Ewing Oil to do it?? I'm not sure who wrote that line, but that's what Katzman was doing.

And saying April's death was his biggest mistake in the show's history is just rubbing salt in that wound.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 5 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,046
    I always find it odd that April is made to be a main-ish character, dies suddenly and then is still on the show in the form of Bobby's imagination. Like what was even the point of her death if Sheree J Wilson was going to appear again? They could have diminished her role without killing the character off. Unless she specifically asked for her character to be killed? If so though then why reappear?
    Bobby didn't do a whole lot after April died and as much as some dislike April I'd much rather see her than that boring Jory plot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Medals:
    That's why they never needed Bobby back and it was a mistake to turn it into a joke by claiming everything we'd watched for a whole season never happened and it was all a dream. To do that just to bring Bobby back just was not worth the damage it caused to the credibility of the show.

To carry a show you need at least one character people like a lot and one character people hate. That was JR and Cliff. Bobby was originally designed to be the fan favorite but they had to feature him less and JR more when they found out the fans were tuning in each week to see what JR would do next. JR was the fan favorite and Cliff was someone nobody could stand. Ken Kercheval was a damn good actor and he played that role very well.

JR and Bobby alone couldn't carry the show because they were both too likable. You need someone who is going to create the conflict that drives the story. Since people loved the Ewing family and Cliff was obsessed with destroying the Ewings, there was tremendous conflict and so the early and middle seasons were great. Cliff eventually learned his lesson - revenge is a waste of time. It was good for Cliff but bad for the show. Then they had to replace Cliff as the bad guy with Carter McKay and he couldn't do nearly as good of a job. Then they also weakened JR's character by making him far less competent and everything went downhill.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +8,381
    Medals:
    I don't think that's true at all. I really liked Cliff, as I'm sure many fans of the show did.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,991
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    What makes me cringe is the fact that such a mediocre actress playing such a lame character stayed in the show for 4 long years, and also that Mr. Katzman´s admiration * cough * *cough* towards her was so badly disguised... :censer:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Toni

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,991
    Medals:
    According to Barbara Curran´s book, Katzman didn´t know for sure that the show wouldn´t be renewed until the filming of "Conundrum" ended, as told by one of the crew or cast members that still were there. It seems that due to the ratings´ drop (and their contracts expiring at the end of the season), a lot of people felt that the end was near, but nobody was sure except maybe Katzman. Anyway, Soap Opera Digest reported at the time that Ms. Wilson was the one who asked him to write her off in a way that she could get "the most amount of money for the least amount of shows" (literally said by dear Ms. Wilson...). :NI::fp:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,318
    Medals:
    Me too, Cliff was one of my favourite characters.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,752
    Medals:
    There's something paradoxical about JR as the fan favourite.
    He was the villain, antagonist within the family, a truly despicable person.
    But JR = Ewing Oil = the Ewing family, and maybe that's what makes the fans feel so protective about it.
    I don't think anyone wanted to see Cliff taking it all away from them (in case he'd manage to beat JR)

14. Barbara Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,464
    Medals:
    Agree 100% - Always wonder what blackmail info she had to stay in the show that long - insipid ++

and if Mr katzman thinks that killing April off was his worst mistake - i can name about 1000 more id put before it.

there were 2 key people who were essential to Dallas, stories and plots and they were JR and Pamela - take away 1 from that dynamic and some of the stories fell flat as Pam was the KEY and central to it all in terms of Digger Barnes, back story, Cliff, Fights with EO and JR and links with Ewings C/o marriage to Bobby

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +725
    I really felt for Cliff late in Season 5 DVD, when J.R. called him "the perfect failure" and laughed his way out the door. In reality, Cliff failed because J.R. broke the law and blackmailed a geologist to fake a report saying that the bone dry Wellington land had oceans of oil under the property. Yes Cliff should have double checked and triple checked with his own geologists before putting any money forward and he should never have embezzled from Wentworth Tool and Die, but still. Cliff saw through J.R.'s previous plan to get him to talk a job with Wally Hampton, so J.R. got seriously down in the gutter.

It's also a myth that Cliff always lost to J.R. Cliff head the OLM which frustrated Ewing Oil's drilings, Cliff owned the debt that J.R. owed after stockpiling 5 million barrels of the Farlows' oil, Cliff did strike oil and become very rich with Gold Canyon 340. It would be more correct to say that J.R. won most of the time, and had even more nous than even lawyer Cliff knew about how the system worked. The Ewings are in the establishment since Jock struck oil, while the Barneses are working class and brought up that way. J.R. therefore has an advantage in working the system.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Barbara Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,464
    Medals:
    JR was truly his fathers son!

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict EXP: 10 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,809
    Medals:
    By Autumn 1990, it was a dead cert that VP was well an truly done with DALLAS, the end was nigh and the heyday of DALLAS was long gone.

I find Katzmans comment on killing April off rather insulting and somewhat a backhand insult to VP, after all April wasn't there at the beginning in 1978, she was shoe horned into the series a decade later just as Pam was gearing up to leave.

The clear fact of the matter is that DALLAS worked better when it was an ensembled piece and not the LARRY & PATRICK BRO SHOW,
    As much as fans missed Bobby, his departure didn't leave as much of a void or change the show beyond recognition like Pam's departure did, JR & Pam were the yin and yang of DALLAS.

Katzman knew this yet he made those disrespectful comments which was a backhand insult to not just VP but to all the other cast members from 1978-87.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Toni

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,991
    Medals:
    Even so (and I agree with you so much), the official version says that VP was invited to appear on "Conundrum" but she would only have done it if assured it would be the very last episode. Which they didn´t (obviously and sadly). Shame them. No wonder Bobby´s subplot was the silliest of the whole 2-parter, with that unknown ex-wife and that current bitchy wife...and the whole dumb gambling thingie.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,880
    Damn! What a slap in the face for the likes of Barbara Bel, Victoria, Susan and ultimately Linda. I personally believe the biggest mistake was diluting the characters of Miss Ellie, Pam, Donna and to a point Sue Ellen. I don't understand how those in charge thought those aforementioned characters had run their due course.

• Agree Agree x 7
  20. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,880
    I remember at the time I was gutted to hear Victoria was leaving since it was on the NEWS, newspapers and magazines. You couldn't escape it. But I stand by her decision and who knows what Lenny may have had in store for the character of Pam if Victoria had hung around. She probably would have wound up as Cliff's secretary, playing the tormented ex-wife while watching that philandering ex-husband of hers flirt with that hussy.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1