1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was April Killed Off In Hope For Pam Return?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by cardiff1984, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Fan EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +692
    I understood that April was killed off because they knew the end was coming and they wanted Bobby to be single when the series ended (freeing him up for a potential reconciliation with Pam in future reunion movies).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,755
    Medals:
    Oh, absolutely not.

3. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Fan EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +692
    Yes, absolutely so. It was from an interview with Leonard Katzman. He said that when Sheree Wilson decided to leave, he decided to leave Bobby single at the end of that final season. Whether or not what he said was true is up for debate.

4. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict EXP: 10 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,812
    Medals:
    Bobby's segment didn't make any sense, not including TNT DALLAS, Bobby only loved three women in his lifetime, Jenna, Pam and April,
    Obviously Pam was his most significant love, however VP was never going to return for the finale, so the next alternative would be Jenna since she knew Bobby when they both kids and were set to get married at one point, however in 1991 Priscilla Presley was probably filming Naked Gun 2 which came out that year so why not bring back
    April Stevens? He could have met her in this alternate universe in the mid 1980s and they are married and are about to have a baby.

This kind of renders Katzmans comments regarding April as being rather shallow and spiteful to me, if she was that important to the series surely he would have tried hard to get her back on the show for the finale as a love interest for Bobby, especially since VP and PP weren't going to return (and lets fact it even Jenna was much better than April)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Star EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,675
    Medals:
    This made me curious when I read it because I've never met anyone that liked Cliff. Could you tell me what aspects of his personality you liked?

I hated Cliff but he was crucial to the show. He provided the conflict the show needed by continually trying to hurt Ewing Oil and The Ewing family. I've read where some posters feel Pam was more important to the show than Cliff and while I think Pam was one of the most valuable characters to Dallas, I think Cliff was even more crucial to the success of the show than Pam. The reason for that is the Barnes-Ewing feud which was the basis for most of the conflict in Dallas (in the glory days of Dallas) and Cliff was the character who perpetuated the feud. Pam hated the Barnes-Ewing feud and would gladly have ended it if she could. She tried to end the feud many times but Cliff didn't care too much about her wishes. Pam took a backseat to revenge in Cliff's priority system. Pam one time asked Cliff that if he loved her to please sell her his 5 percent of Ewing Oil so that she could put it out of circulation and thereby end or at least reduce the intensity of the Barnes-Ewing feud. Cliff replied to Pam: "Don't ask me to give up the one thing that means the most to me - revenge"! This was long after Digger had died so Cliff was the only Barnes left who wanted to keep the feud going. It was just a little while after Pam's nearly fatal accident that Cliff finally learned his lesson that seeking revenge on the Ewings was a waste of time and also the source of a tremendous amount of misery. He was talking to Miss Ellie when he said that he just wished Pam had been there to "see her brother finally learn his lesson."

Regarding Katzman's biggest mistake, was Katzmann the one responsible for bring Patrick Duffy back after Katherine killed Bobby in "Swan Song"? If Katzman was the man who had the final say in whether or not to bring back Patrick Duffy, I'd say bringing Duffy back was his biggest mistake. Once a show brings back a character from the dead, the show kills its credibility. There was no good explanation for Bobby retuning as far as I'm concerned. Audiences don't like the "it was all a dream" cop out that you sometimes see in TV shows and I'd say that the "it was all a dream" explanation for season 9 is almost certainly the most infamous use of "it was all a dream" in the history of TV dramas and that's saying a lot. For the most part audiences liked the character of Bobby but he wasn't indispensable. They could have gotten along fine without him and no matter how much he was worth to the show, he wasn't worth the damage that the "it was all a dream" explanation for season 9 did to the credibility of the show. After that happened, Dallas never regained the prestige or the popularity it had previously enjoyed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,675
    Medals:
    The way I understood what had become of Bobby in "Conundrum" was since JR had never existed, Bobby never had anyone to drive him to become the man he became because of JR's influence. Standing up to JR toughened Bobby and made him think long and hard about the importance of ethics and what kind of man he wanted to be. So in "Conundrum" Bobby wasn't a man capable of attracting a woman of Jenna's or April's quality. That's why he was shown to have been married to that floozy with the screechy voice. That was the only kind of woman the Bobby we saw in Conundrum could have gotten to marry him. At least that's my interpretation of its meaning and the reason why we didn't see Bobby with a good woman like Jenna or April.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,843
    Medals:
    It's difficult to stay popular for a such a long time, and it's even more difficult to become popular again.
    They had done the Miss Ellie recast that nobody liked (or so it seems) and the dream season that nobody liked (or so it seems).
    Fans are loyal and forgiving, but the big audience moves on to the next popular thing. Maybe that's the nature of pop culture.

9 or 10 years seems to be the max to tell a prime time soap story (although I liked Knots' season 11 better than season 10).
    If Peyton Place had done the 25 44-minutes-episodes per year it would have been on the air for 10 years, and even that show had already lost many fans.

If a soap needs to reinvent itself in order to keep its audience, it has to do so before there's a demand for it, not after. You've got to be ahead of the game, and that's very difficult with external problems like actors quitting, finding the writer with the best vision etc.

8. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,675
    Medals:
    Willie, I think you're right that people tend to move on to the next popular thing and it is hard to stay popular for too long. In a lot of cases it's understandable why people move on and that's because usually shows are at their best in their relatively early years. That's when everybody is hungry to try to succeed. After a show becomes successful there's a tendency to become complacent and not try as hard as they used to to be creative and keep the quality high.

Do you think it's necessary for a show to reinvent itself though? Suppose Dallas had somehow managed to keep up the quality of its early and middle years for 14 years. That's a long time but just suppose that it was still going strong and by season 14 it had still been made in the style of season 6 or 7. Do you think it could have stayed in the same style and quality of seasons 5,6,7, and 8 for another 10 years without needing to reinvent itself?. Do you think it could have stayed in the top 5 highest rated shows on TV if the style and quality had remained consistent and if not, why not?

• Like Like x 1
  9. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +566
    As much as I disliked April, I agree that bringing her back as Bobby's wife in the No J.R. Conundrum universe was the much better and logical option when Victoria turned them down and Priscilla Presley wasn't available. Even Margaret Michaels standing in as Pam so Bobby and Pam got closure would have been preferable to the pathetic and unrealistic gambler married to Annie storyline and later TNT Ann mess that Bobby ended up with.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,843
    Medals:
    That's an intriguing question, Kenny. My personal logic says, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Keep up the tone and quality that made it a hit in the first place and let it go on...well, forever!
    But history repeatedly shows that's not how these things work. Why is that?
    Is it because quality, or should I say the characteristics of whatever sort of art or entertainment, tend to work towards a climax, a peak?
    And *if* that's true, what comes after the peak? Maybe there are only two options: decay or change.

What people want and what people need isn't always the same thing.
    Maybe the trick is to pinpoint precisely when to stop "giving" the popular stuff and have it end with a good aftertaste, and when to start something new.
    I don't mean the end of Dallas, just a different kind of Dallas. And "change" doesn't mean the absence of quality, but it's not without risks of course.

Based on the comments on this forum, most fans did not appreciate the way Dallas' season 8 (DVD9) was injected with Dynasty's euro glamour and Falcon Crest's international crime approach - and I get that, I really do.
    But from a marketing's (and even artistic) point of view - and regardless of Patrick Duffy's decision to leave the show - I don't think it was such a bad decision to try to bedazzle the audience with a different aspect of the Dallas universe.
    The fact that it turned out to be a somewhat dreary and clunky season has more to do with the writing, rather than the change itself, although it must be tempting to perceive this as one and the same thing.
    But instead of moving forward (ha, well for obvious reasons) they tried to reinstate the original "feel" of Dallas. Maybe going back just isn't an option because it defies the nature of progress.
    It was too late. Reap what you have sown, and all that.

Most Peyton Place fans don't like the last part of the story very much, personally I loved it, despite the fact that most of the core cast had been replaced with new characters.
    One could argue that Falcon Crest and Dynasty reinvented themselves in their second seasons, not because the tone of the first seasons had to be fixed (on the contrary), but because the opportunity to show something different was there.
    But I wouldn't dare to suggest that these changes were solely made from an artistic point of view. Ratings, pressure from the network, actor's demands, new writers - there are so many aspects that influence these long-running tv series.

Sorry, I don't have The Answer to you question, all I'm saying is that there more things to consider.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +727
    The plucky underdog with a working class upbringing who became so determined to get back at the Ewings that he became a prominent lawyer and Senate candidate. So often he was broken, and broken hard, by J.R., yet he kept bouncing back, save the one time when it all got too much and he tried to commit suicide. Cliff ain't as good as J.R. at playing the system because of their different class upbringing. Cliff also lets his feelings drive him more than his brains a lot of the time.

Why? If we're talking about Season 10 DVD you have a point, but otherwise no. He can be annoying a lot of the time because he lets his hate of the Ewings overrun his brains and damage his relationships with Sue Ellen, Afton, Mandy and Jamie post-dream, but I always hope that he gets himself together.

The dream season was very good. It's the dream revelation that made that previous season a dream that did huge damage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,675
    Medals:
    OK, I can understand that. Thanks.

Why? Mainly because he was so bitter almost all the time and the most important thing in his life was revenge. Even Digger was annoyed at how bitter Cliff was.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +727
    True, Digger was bitter but he just wanted what he felt was his, and he didn't want the Ewings flat broke. Also, before the series started, Pam was worse than Cliff with hating the Ewings when she was a teenager and into her 20s. Whereas Pam grew out of this thing of hating the Ewings as she got older and then fell in love with Bobby, Cliff seemed to grow into it as J.R. kept beating him so much and so mercilessly.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 10 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +964
    Medals:
    But April never would have met Bobby if not for JR.
    We're they actually stupid enough to still think VP might return??!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. MenaceTheDennis

MenaceTheDennis Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I think they were always open to the possibility of Victoria returning. Even it was for a reunion movie. It would’ve been the perfect way to end the TNT version. Instead of killing Pam off she returns to Dallas. Bobby tells Ann he’s always loved her and must be with her which Ann accepts and they divorce. Victoria wouldn’t have to have been involved. Last shot of Dallas is a long shot with Pam rushing into Bobby’s arms. A viable reason for why Pam has been gone 25 years is another matter. Either Katherine kidnapped her or she’s been in a coma.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +8,387
    Medals:
    That surprises me. On this thread alone there are a number of members who liked Cliff.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a TV character. I don't need them to be admirable, or even necessarily likeable, for me to like them. I like characters that are flawed, complex and interesting, and whose antics entertain me, and Cliff ticks all those boxes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,713
    Medals:
    That's why i liked Cliff, too! So another Cliff-fan here! :hats:
    I always cheered when he won one round against J.R. and i loved to watch him eating all that chinese food and all those hot dogs. :D
    And i was VERY upset when they totally ruined his character over on TNT Dallas, when they made him simply pure evil instead of beeing that complex and difficult character, that he really was. :(

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,843
    Medals:
    From the story's point of view I liked it that Dallas ended with the two brothers, alone at Southfork.
    Over a decade of marriages, affairs, schemes, deceit and power battles - only to end up with nothing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +6,059
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I think the BIG mistake was being so little ambitious with the season finale, whether they knew it was the end or not. I didn´t mind the events depicted in the last one-hour episode "The Decline and Fall of the Ewing Empire" (with an emphasis in "Ewing Empire"...), save for the relevance given to Michelle.

Imagine, instead of "Conundrum", another episode (single or double) featuring Bobby searching for a missing J.R. after Teresa saw him leaving in his car with a gun in his hand. What is he going to do, committing suicide or just kill Cliff, who had just get ahold at Ewing Oil? Was he going to find Miss Ellie and (after discreetly killing off Clayton), ask her for help to get the company back? Was he going to fly to London and do everything he could to win Sue Ellen´s heart back (after killing Don Lockwood, of course...)? So many possibilities...and only using two actors, and maybe the secretaries. And guest appearances could have been included too, though not in an alternate universe. Imagine J.R. eventually finding and meeting Pam in Hong-Kong (so to say), and begging her to help him to get Christopher´s legacy back...

upload_2018-9-30_20-53-26.jpeg

Pam: "F*** you and Ugly Baby too!"
    J.R.: Ungrateful as usual, Barnes woman!

THE END OF "DALLAS"​

• Creative Creative x 2
  20. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,694
    Medals:
    Agreed.
    Nice interpretation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1