Was DYNASTY a show with romance?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Michael Torrance, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    Since it is Valentine's Day, I thought it appropriate.
    Esther Shapiro in her prologue to the Dynasty book wrote that she and her husband "began to yearn for something we remembered from the movies we grew up with in the forties: stories where the audience pulled for men and women to fall in love and walk off to the sunset holding hands; stories with characters who dreamed of, pursued, and found their romantic ideal. It was one of the things, simple but undeniable, that in those innocent days before the ubiquity of television, brought people into the theaters. And held them there.
    There seemed to be a renewed sense for romance."

Now never mind the "innocent days" of the forties with the US waging atomic warfare, the Nazi holocaust, and Stalinist extermination of 10 million dissidents--do you think Esther is right and Dynasty was such a show?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,175
    Medals:
    Oh, no. We sneered at her assertions even then. Sure, they tried to show B&K by the fireplace, and Alexis banged every ski instructor and lounge lizard from Denver to Boulder, but DYNASTY was amazingly dry of romance or sex -- despite being highly sexualized -- because everything was so rigid (no pun) and destructively controlled that none of it could work. It was all sex pantomime. Which is not romantic by definition.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    Medals:
    WHOA, what outfit was THIS from? I wouldn't have minded seeing her wearing that for a Valentine-themed episode. :lol:

But yeah, I don't really remember much in the way of romance for the show. The closest things I can think of are: the kiss that Amanda and Clay shared in the Season 6 finale (say what you will, that was one of the best kisses that ever appeared on the show); and B&K's fireplace scene in Season 2, after Krystle discovered Blake's sight came back. Can't really think of anything else. Anything else just seems like obligatory sexual stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,500
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    This is why la Collins accepted the Alexis role: because she loved playing love scenes...with humans!

[​IMG]

"Please somebody give me a Love Boat, a
    Fantasy Island, even a Muppet Show, anything!"​

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. colbyco

colbyco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +415
    - She wore it on the "Playboy"-cover ...

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,141
    Medals:
    Was rape called romance in the '80s?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,808
    Well if that was the premise of Dynasty then Esther and her husband were left stranded at the train station. I never came away from Dynasty with a feeling there was any great romance even with Blake and Krystle. It looked like it tried - with some success - to mimic the movies from the 40's - but I think this had more to do with the clothes horses, Krystle and Alexis. When I think of Dynasty I see it as a fashion show. Actually it became all show, no substance. Pity really because I believe after that slow burn of the first season and the introduction of the ex-wife this series could have turned into something really special. If any couple could have electrified the small screen it would have been Blake and Alexis in much the same way JR and Sue Ellen did on Dallas.

However, I've read in multiple threads both John and Linda were dead set against the break-up of Blake and Krystle. Gee, that missive put a dampener on sexual/romantic story-telling.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    Simply to play devil's advocate here (because posters know I hate the two of them dictating storylines that way), Esther and the two of them could say that great love was the romantic constant they wanted to showcase.

9. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,175
    Medals:
    Yes.

Although B&K cheating wasn't the only way to keep the show energized.

10. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    But Krystle moving away from her rapist would have been.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,808
    There is playing devil's advocate and playing it safe.

12. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,808
    When the ex-wife returns to Denver - I must add, in the most brilliant of circumstances - the writers should have set about creating this undertone of sexual tension between Blake and Alexis. Of course Blake and Krystle didn't have to cheat to create great drama but the producers had under their nose an actress already known for playing a minx. Alexis and Blake HAD history. I think that's where the story was and needed to be told. Instead Dynasty quickly needed a character to rival JR and so it was established it would be Alexis. Marry her off to a man on his death bed. Inherit his zillions. Become the high priestess of shrill, fashion and over-the-top camp so viewers will quickly forget how GOD awful the show became. But hey the masses fell drunk to the madness. As quickly as Dynasty became the fierce rival to Dallas it couldn't maintain the momentum and slowly but surely drifted into television history.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    Medals:
    Okay... but how?