Was Gary Really Weak, Or Was He Smart To Get Away?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Billy Wall, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +168
    But for some reason, Gary’s the only one that got a stipulation in Jock’s will. Again, Rays been his son for 5 minutes and he becomes a millionaire with “prime Southfork land.”m

Miss Ellie once said, “Jock loved Gary, but he didn’t care for him.” That says a lot.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  2. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +876
    Do you honestly believe that if Jenna had acted in a way you would consider sufficiently grateful and that if she hadn't kept that secret you mentioned, that Bobby wouldn't still have bailed out of his engagement to Jenna and married Pam instead of Jenna?

And boy did he let them know it!

You bet! I love TV shows about families. In fact, family is a lot of the reason why Dallas is my favorite show ever. I love how they all lived in the same ranch. That was a brilliant decision by David Jacobs. Think of how many classic scenes would have been lost, that simply would never have been able to take place had they all lived in separate houses. It would have changed the nature of the show tremendously and not for the better!

Too many times to list but I'll give an example from this same time period. At Jock's trial JR said that no matter which way the trial turned out, he'd run Cliff out of Texas. Same thing Bobby vowed by Bob's word was no good. JR got shot before he could do that but he did make Cliff pay for what he did to Jock by closing the oil well in which Cliff had a stake.

Two shady characters - Ames and Garr (the ones who killed Julie) said to JR that if Bobby did something to endanger their would -be deal on section 40, that they'd have Bobby taken care of. JR immediately warned them that they'd better not touch a hair on Bobby's head. JR was very protective of Bobby.

He was even more protective of John Ross - even before John Ross was born. When Sue Ellen was drinking while pregnant and in ever increasing quantities, JR tried to reason with her to stop drinking. Sue Ellen didn't have enough concern for her own baby to at least quit drinking until the baby was born so JR had her put in a sanitarium so that she couldn't continue to drink.

His concern for John Ross never ended; it seemed to increase in anything. Long after JR and Sue Ellen's marriage had become a massive failure, long after it was clear that they had irreconcilable differences, Sue Ellen finally moved out and JR was seeing a woman whom he got along with much better - Mandy Winger. He talked to Mandy about marriage but then even though John Ross was living at Southfork, JR became concerned that Sue Ellen could take him away at any time. That would hurt not just JR and John Rosss but Miss Ellie too! So JR convinced Sue Ellen to move back in, explaining that this would give John Ross the best possible access to both parents and was what John Ross wanted most - to live with both his parents at Southfork. JR made this happen at a terrible price - he lost Mandy who was the one woman who might possible have made him happy.

Unlike Gary, JR was a good provider for his family. He worked long and hard learning the family business from the time he was a young boy so that he could make his daddy proud by continuing Ewing Oil onwards when the time came Jock had to retire. Jock said when Bobby had no time for anything but sowing those wild oats of his , JR was always where he needed him, in the office and even in the fields.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  3. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +876
    It wasn't just "some reason." I thought the reasons were fairly easy to see. Gary was given a certain number of years, 5 I think, during which he could only access the interest on the 10 million dollars. After that he'd have full access to it. You really don't have any idea as to what the purpose for this stipulation was? Can you guess?

4. Billy Wall

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Gary was a grown man, not some teenager. Heck, he had more reason to doubt JR than he did Gary.

5. Billy Wall

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +168
    I’m sure he did love his brother in his own way. But let’s not forget scenes/quotes like “I am going to cut Bobby out if I have to destroy Ewing Oil to do it.”

6. Billy Wall

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Well he should have been in the room right next to hers because JR didn’t enter a room without a drink.

7. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +876
    No, it had nothing to do with his age.

Gary was an alcoholic and a compulsive gambler. Jock wanted to give Gary adequate time to overcome his addictions before he got access to the 10 million because giving him that money while Gary was still drinking and gambling would have been enabling behavior. In other words, it's like financing an overdose. Who wants that on his conscience? Not Jock, apparently. Access to the interest would give Gary enough money to pay for rehab. It's like the old adage: "Leaving him enough that he can do something but not so much that he can afford to do nothing."

8. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +876
    You do realize that the harm alcohol does to the fetus is from the alcohol the mother drinks, right?

9. Billy Wall

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +168
    By that time, I don’t remember Gary being an alcoholic and he had settled down. JR almost lost Southfork and Ewing Oil (which he eventually did), but he still saw fit to leave it to either him or/and Bobby.

10. Billy Wall

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Being married to JR would have drove anyone to drink.

11. Billy Wall

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Good and bad, Gary was his own man and I respect that. He didn’t sit around idolizing Jock as JR, Ray and to a lesser extent, Bobby did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Billy Wall

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +168
    They obviously had everyone living there for drama purposes. It definitely made for good TV. But I still remember an old interview with Jim Davis/Jock where he thought it was weird that two grown men would want to live with their parents. I get the feeling Jim Davis would have been more Gary than JR or Bobby. Lol

13. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +876
    Jim Davis wasn't like Gary - Jim was far too competent. When Bobby found Gary in the beginning of Dallas, Gary was cleaning up hotel rooms. Not an impressive occupation was it? It's honest work but have you noticed people only say that about the worst jobs? When somebody describes a job as "good, honest work" it's because there's nothing appealing about the job except it's legal! No pro athlete, rock star, or movie star describes his occupation as "good honest work."

Jim Davis wasn't like Jock though because he chose show business - entertaining people as opposed to running an oil company. The great actors are great because they are believable playing a character very different from themselves. These guys who loved entertaining people for a living were believable as ruthless businessmen. I can't imagine Jock or JR choosing show business as a career, can you? Ha ha!

14. Billy Wall

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +168
    There’s no such thing as “worst jobs.” Lol

15. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,338
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    For some reason I can´t see Jock doing any of those things, even for his other children. He´d have Ellie driven to Dr. Danvers´ and then to The Store as he was having drinks with Punk and the other "boys". Bond? Well, maybe he´d take them to Doralee´s (or Serena´s) when they were teenagers to show them "the pleasures of life"...

[​IMG]

"Junior, it´s time you prove you are a Ewing...!"​

16. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +608
    If Gary wanted to do something badly enough, he would. J.R. knew that.

17. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Jock had moulded J.R. to take over Ewing Oil, and J.R. followed Jock into Ewing Oil with a single minded determination to succeed in the business. Gary was stubborn in going against what Jock wanted, ran away from responsibility, and insisted on doing things his way.

18. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +608
    For his first child? Jock would have been delighted. Jock was taking J.R. out to the oil fields when J.R. was barely more than a toddler. J.R. was bonding strongly with his father when he was a young kid before Jock left home to fight in WW2, and pining for his father's return. Gary had no father around in his first 2 years of life, but a deep bond with his mother, and then Jock comes home with a much harsher attitude.

19. Billy Wall

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +168
    I don’t think doing things “your” way is necessarily being stubborn. I actually applaud that. Now I agree, he should have fought for Val and Lucy. But if he didn’t want to be under Jock’s thump his entire life, like JR and Bobby, I have no problem with that.

20. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +608
    I agree. That's one of the reasons why I like Gary. But from Jock's point of view, and from Gary's point of view, we can see why they had these issues.