Was it GOOD that CBS spoiled the ending?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Lastkidpicked, May 1, 2018.

1. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,337
    Yeah, cos JR split up her and Ray and she was really angry about it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +369
    BWHAHAHAHAHA!

That's great!

3. 'V'

'V' Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Weren't these alternate scenes of different characters firing the gun just filmed for the blooper reel? Those weren't consistent with what was seen in "A House Divided". Most of them were standing in front of JR's desk, when really both he and the shooter were in the outer office. Some of them were shouting "Take That!", immediately giving away their identities, and one of thsese scenes was filmed outside in daylight. Unless there really were some proper alternative reveal scenes filmed as well?
    Also, I can't see how the cast couldn't have known who did it several weeks before "Whodunnit?" was shown, as they would have already completed the next few episodes by then - including the scene in the next episode where Kristin explains to the whole family why she did it.

4. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +751
    That TNT Dallas show was a big two fingered salute to the old show!

They hyped up the Which Ewing Will Die in the hope it would help their ratings when they realised the show was in trouble.

Back in the day when there was no internet, having JR shot in 1980 was terrific. No spoilers, no speculation, just the excitement of not seeing that plotline coming until it actually happened & then the media exploded. Those where the good old days when Dallas was (and still is!) the greatest soap opera of them all. :)

5. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I remember for the Southfork swimming pool murder cliffhanger a year later, they shot three versions of Cliff picking up the body in the pool: with Mary Crosby, Linda Gray, and Victoria Principal. Years later, a publicity shot using the Linda Gray version made it into a DVD release or something like that.

So yes, I believe they shot multiple characters doing the deed for Who Shot J.R.

You may remember that the dream resolution was leaked, too. People started talking about it weeks before, and TV Guide’s ad for that episode said, “One of these answers is correct: He never really died. He’s a twin. It was all a dream. He’s an imposter.” But in that case, they leaked it because they knew it was going to anger some fans, so they wanted to give people’s anger a chance to subside prior to the new season.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,290
    That's revisionism. At the time, DALLAS was only two years old, and the "rules" we now take for granted, we didn't then. There was no assumption that Kristen was the shooter. And I was around then.

In retrospect, of course, her guilt seems self-evident.

Since this was the beginning of the '80s nighttime soap tradition, they made no bones about JR being shot -- it was actually advertized in the TV Guide in advance.

But the culprit's identity didn't leak out in America, although all it took was a phone call for the shooter's name to ricochet around the world after that, since America aired it first.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +349
    I disagree - it was very obvious, as was Julia being the killer of Carlo on FC, especially after not seeing her car accident that was set up by her and Mr. Fong.

RE: the dream, the only thing that was throwing people off was the fact that no one could believe that they would sacrifice the continuity between Dallas and KL!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  8. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,566
    Somehow I had managed to stay spoiler-free on that but when the dream resolution was finally screened here, after the initial shock my first reaction was, what about Knots Landing?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,290
    How could Kristen's guilt be "very obvious" when even the writers didn't know who the culprit was when they first came up with the idea of shooting JR?

It's also clear from the first half of S2 of FC that the writers hadn't decided who'd killed Carlo Agretti; only about two-thirds of the way through the season did it become obvious that they'd now decided on Julia as the killer -- and that's only in retrospect.

Or really that DALLAS would do something so self-destructively stupid, which -- aside from Donna Reed's hiring -- it never had before.

10. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,373
    It wasn't obvious. Some viewers had guessed it because it made sense, and that was a time when making sense was a requirement for TV. Now twist plots are the norm, which I think quickly desensitize the audience (" Scandal" and "How to Get Away with Murder" I am looking at you) and they lose interest in the very gimmicks that draw them in to begin with.

Hey, once you start copying DYNASTY, you go all the way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +349
    I still disagree. There is no way the producers would write out any of the main characters by having them shoot JR. Never ever. A secondary character would have to be the one to go.

12. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,373
    You seem to forget they did not write the shooter out.

13. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Yes, they did. Mary Crosby left immediately after, then returned for just a handful of episodes then was killed off.

14. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,290
    Assuming it would be a supporting character didn't mean it was destined to be Kristen -- not when all that WSJR? stuff was going on in 1980.

I'm not sure he follows DALLAS that closely.

15. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +349
    MC WAS written out immediately after. Kristin was banished to CA., had a miscarriage, got pregnant again, appeared on KL, came back to Dallas, and drowned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,290
    OK, OK -- nobody's disputing that except possibly for Michael Torrance who isn't really a DALLAS guy.

But you're rewriting history to say it was "obvious" that Kristen did it. Not in 1980, though she was a logical choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Even Camille Marchetta stated that when she left, no staff writer knew would be the culprit.
    As Snarky said, Kristin was just a logical choice. I believe that Cliff might have been considered too (he was not that important in the early days).

18. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    Yup - as far as I remember the idea came up because CBS ended up ordering extra episodes beyond the usual 22 that season, so they had to come up with a plot and per Marchetta they went "let's shoot the bastard". They had no idea who the shooter was and just ended up eliminating the potential suspects from a storyline point of view until they settled for Kristin.

Marchetta also set up the infamous Moldavia cliffhanger for Dynasty - something she admits she didn't know the resolution for and just left it to the next group of writers to resolve. And it turned out to be a shart.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,897
    I think there's something lawless about those 60s, 70s and early 80s tv-series.
    These weren't necessarily the best or most logical stories, but they did things without being too concerned about the comfort of the viewers. Interestingly, this usually happens in the first and last seasons of the soaps. And also The Colbys and TNT Dallas. It's the kind of stuff that makes me sweat.

Everyone could have shot JR, even Miss Ellie in a moment of rage ("I wish you were never born!" Bang!) but that's not the same as trying to murder someone and then get away with it.
    Then again, there's no rule that says that the shooter's identity has to be revealed to the other story characters.
    Besides, who says that killers have to be written out?
    upload_2018-6-9_0-40-15.png
    I thought it was Melissa!
    I love good twist-y plots, what I don't like is when they keep twisting the same plot for no other reason than to stretch to story (e.g. Lost, Revenge).

• Like Like x 1
  20. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,290
    I agree. But I can't think of one who wasn't until Julia in FALCON CREST. And she should've kept on killing.