Was it GOOD that CBS spoiled the ending?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Lastkidpicked, May 1, 2018.

1. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,315
    I thought it was brilliantly amazingly shocking when Julia turned out to be the killer. She didn't even have a motive!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,862
    Something like "did it all for Lance", wasn't it? But he was supposed to inherit everything anyway so that makes the motive a bit lukewarm.
    The real problem was that The Big Boss was never going to die, how come she never thought of that? She kept killing the wrong people.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    To be fair, Abby Dalton apparently kept pissing off a lot of people so they sort of decided to make her the killer somewhere around in the middle, when all of a sudden they gave Julia all those great creeping scenes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,862
    I also liked all her scenes before that, especially when she said (something like) "one day, somehow, I'll find the strength to leave".

And also her drunken bar-scene and her "best friend" scenes and her laboratory was one of my favourite sets and she also had the most handsome soap-son.
    She was everything!

• Like Like x 2
  5. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    Oh yeah, from a mentally unhinged point of view Julia made sense. Of course, they completely invented her motive (and affair) in hindsight rather than a thought out plot, but it wasn't completely out of the blue if you go by her character.

6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,862
    There's a fine line between sanity and insanity.

7. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    A little off-topic, but, barring any multiple endings, there was NO WAY that the body in the Southfork pool would have been ANYONE but Kristin.

8. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    Yet everyone thinks it should be I-N-S-A-N-T-I-T-Y!

Maybe not if there's a secret propaganda...

9. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,315
    Again, at the time, it wasn't that obvious to me. I was a kid, TV audiences weren't as knowing as they are now, the prime-time soap genre was still relatively new and anything still seemed possible. It was only after no-one died in the Southfork fire that I began to realise that they weren't probably gonna kill off anyone in the opening credits.

• Like Like x 2
  10. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    Exactly.

There was no real set template for these early seasons of Dallas, Knots, Falcon Crest or Dynasty for the viewers to contend with. No one knew if they were going to last five seasons or be seemingly endless like the daytime counterparts. Maybe that's why there was seemingly a ratings crash in the mid-80s of the prime time soap genre; the template became obvious so the viewers tuned out.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,287
    Yes, and I often wondered if they should have stopped in the spring of 1985, when Bobby died, the Carringtons were mowed down in Europe, Val got her babies back. and the Tuscany Valley was all set for an earthquake (which was apparently delayed by a year).

I can tell you that the vibe of May '85 certainly had a finality about it, one which would have made natural the genre's close.

But they were still too popular to cancel voluntarily. And admittedly I'd hate to have missed S9 of DYNASTY and S10 (per DVD count) of DALLAS in which, respectively, Roger Grimes' and Jock Ewing's ghosts were resurrected. And KNOTS had at least half a decade more of good seasons to go.

It seemed everything began working against these shows from 1985 onward: blurry visuals to save money, a self-parodic tone where the programs started trying to impress us with things other than just telling a family drama story, and, least of all, the revival of sitcoms.

12. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    OK, I'll acquiesce and give you that with nighttime soaps being so new at the time that no one really knew what to expect, but, really, did you REALLY think Sue Ellen or Pam would be killed off in the Southfork pool? C'mon!

13. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,287
    Of course not. I assumed it was Miss Ellie having drowned after giving Jock a blow job. Like in those books.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  14. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    Pam was of course out of the question, but Sue Ellen the Drunk considering that JR was standing on the balcony?

I could see why some people might believe that.

15. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,315
    I don't remember my thought processes exactly, but I was a kid, it was exciting and I was swept away by the story. I wasn't watching cynically thinking, "They're not gonna get one over on me." I suppose I was open to the possibility that it could be any one of them.

16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,862
    I watched it for the first time on DVD (2004-ish?) knowing next to nothing about the early years, and I wasn't even sure that that person was dead.
    Cliff Barnes can yell whatever he wants but I didn't know how long that person had been in the water.
    Did they even bother to revive her or did everyone just assume that Doctor Barnes' diagnose was correct?

Also, I think it's very rude to die in someone else's swimming pool.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Sarah Danner

Sarah Danner Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I thought it was Donna....until I saw Susan Howard added to the opening. Of course, KL pulled that trick with Don Murray, but he'd been in their opening since the start. But wouldn't that have been a neat trick? "Oh, must not have been Donna. Oh, wait. It is! Psyche!!!!"

• Like Like x 1
  18. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,560
    There was some confusion with the airing of that episode here.

Dallas had bee pre-empted that week. For what I can't remember but whatever it was was suddenly cancelled and Dallas was shown unadvertised. As a result I only accidently caught the end and all of a sudden there was someone dead in the pool. I didn't even realise it was the cliffhanger so I'm craning my head around trying to see who it is not knowing it was supposed to be a mystery.

Fortunately they repeated the whole episode the following week.

19. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +132
    One of the reasons that Julia turning out to be the murderer on FC is so memorable is that it did break the “everyone from the main family is untouchable” template.

I was young enough during the Southfork swimming pool murder cliffhanger that I thought it could possibly be Pam or Sue Ellen. By the time of the Southfork fire, I knew there was NO WAY any Ewing would die. In fact, no one even suffered any after effects. Even Southfork survived pretty well, due to Jock’s incredible foresight in using the most fireproof materials at the time.

20. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    The first thing I ever read about "Dallas" (once the first 13 episodes were aired in Spain and before a long hiatus), was that it was a show that had broken all records with a plot about shooting its main character, and the episode of the revelation of who had done it. Not only that, but they also said that Kristin was pregnant, thus making the spoiler double. Who said that there were no spoilers then?

Personally, I didn´t care about the spoilers, all the contrary: what appealed me of the series was the Bobby-Pam romance and the family interaction. From that point onwards (after the shooting cliffhanger), the woman in the pool was maybe the only one I wasn´t spoiled about. I had watched enough series to know that nobody in the Opening could be that dead woman, so Kristin had all the numbers. Anyway, at the time and after watching the resolution, I thought that the writers also hinted that Louella (another ex-lover of J.R. who had just been fired by him) might be the mystery corpse.

Knowing most of the details of the season cliffhangers was part of the thrill, at least to me, because therefore it was all about the execution and how they used that suspense to make the plot advance. They always did that (until Bobby appeared in the shower, when every cliffhanger started to be a step back...) and was what made "Dallas" and the supersoaps so addictive and popular. We in Spain were so delayed in the viewing that even novels were published here that spoiled everything (especially regarding the second season of "Falcon Crest" and who killed Carlo Agretti...).

The best thing about the Lorimar soaps is that they could turn a weak cliffhanger into an amazing next season. Money was spent in the on-location shooting, guest stars, a better wardrobe for the ladies, and so on. Oh those season premieres...You almost didn´t need to see a brilliantly-scripted premiere episode...at least in the early seasons. And you could never see a brilliant one in the latter years, of course (the episodes following Sue Ellen shooting J.R. and her movie blackmail were simply awful!).

upload_2018-6-13_20-20-0.jpeg

She didn´t do it. Really.​

• Like Like x 1