Was it GOOD that CBS spoiled the ending?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Lastkidpicked, May 1, 2018.

1. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +337
    The thing that was so amazing about cliffhangers back then is that there was no Netflix, no DVRs and no Youtube. So we all watched the shows at the same time.

I feel sorry for the younger viwers who didn't get the experience of EVERYBODY talking about the week's cliffhanger. It was a great ice breaker when meeting new people.

2. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,105
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I disagree with that "We" part. Maybe US and UK could watch "Dallas" (initially) almost at the same time, but the rest of the world followed its own pace, and even more irregularly when we speak of the "other" 3 or 4 supersoaps.

Only in Spain there were 3 or 4 "paces" for the show to be aired in the respective languages, and ditto for "Knots Landing". With the other soaps it was different but not much better: only the first season and few early episodes of season 2 of "Dynasty" were aired on primetime. Years later it was used as a filler in the first morning-programming (with remarkable audiences but...how many working people could watch it at 11 am?), and the later seasons, even at 7 or 8 pm.

"Falcon Crest" used to be scheduled at 3:30, right after the newscast, and again, people who worked couldn´t watch it unless they used VCR´s. I know it was similar in a lot of countries and even "Dallas" was treated as a daytime soap in some places at the end. In how many countries "KL" or "Falcon Crest" were put to rest instead of receiving the same kind of primetime "spotlight" than "Dallas"? I know a few. So there wasn´t such a "We" unless you were American or British (or had a double nationality, like Miss Piggy!).
    upload_2018-6-13_21-45-3.jpeg

3. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +337
    Thank you for letting me know about that, Toni.
    I'll return the favor by describing for you what it was like during the summer of the "Who Shot J.R." Cliffhanger here in the States. I hope you enjoy it:

It's the summer of 1980 in the United States. Things are grim.
    The economy is falling apart, we are hearing phrases we've never heard before: "Layoffs. Downsizing. Misery Index."

God, we needed a distraction.

Then, the man we love to hate is shot in a Texas-sized cliffhanger.

Who did it? Who had the motive? Hell, who DIDN"T have a motive?

For a few moments at a time, the Americans could forget about their troubles. Instead of, "What's the latest news on the Hostage Crisis?" we talked about "Who do you think shot J.R.?"

Real estate agents and car dealers bought giant billboards with their faces on it, proudly exclaiming, "I shot J.R."

Beer companies sold mugs exclaiming, "I shot J.R."

In Las Vegas, you could bet on who shot J.R. For those of you who bet on horse racing, you'll understand how the odds worked: Dusty Farlow was the favorite, with people betting on him 6-4. The long shot was laughable (but this is Vegas, in the summer of who shot J.R.) Miss Ellie coming in at 25-1.

For those who bet on Kristin, they were rewarded with a payout of 4 to 1.

For locals, including the kids, contests were held in creative ways:
    At the local fast food restaurants, they would have several stacks of drink cups. One stack had Cliff Barne's face on them. The others had Vauhn Leland, Dusty Farlow, Alan Beam or others.

You picked your drink cup from the stack of the person you thought shot J.R. At the end of the night, the remaining cups were counted so there was a running tally on who the locals thought had shot J.R. You couldn't even buy a soft drink without getting into a (fun) argument about who shot J.R.!

Good times. . .

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1