Was JR And Bobby A Disgrace To Jock’s Name/Memory?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Billy Wall, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +168
    After the Justice Department stripped JR and Bobby from using the Ewing name, where they had to accept a deal to avoid prison. This after Cliff Barnes gets 10 percent of Ewing Oil. I’m on season 11 and I haven’t watched Dallas in a very long time, but I believe Cliff becomes president of Ewing Oil.

They all talk about how much Jock meant to them. They, particularly his sons, used to put him on a very high pedestal. Jock would have been utterly ashamed of them IMO. I’ll even go one step further. JR, in particular, was supposed to be a very smart oil man. Was he, may I say, overrated? He seemed to suffer a lot of major loses in the later seasons.

2. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +876
    I don't believe in the premise - that a man has control over the actions of his adult sons and that because he has control over their actions, if they do something immoral or unethical they "disgrace" their father's name. Once a man's sons are grown, they hold responsibility for their own actions and because of that, the only people they can disgrace are themselves.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +168
    In life, I agree 100%. But what about in the business world? Jock taught both of them, JR in particular, everything he knew. In just 6 years after his death, the company that has his name, doesn’t exist because of his sons. If I’m not mistaken, Miss Ellie all but said that they have disgraced their father’s name.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,825
    Medals:
    Bobby's refusal to listen to Mrs Scottfield (following her husband's death) ultimately led her to feeding the information to Jeremy Wendell, and then the rest was history.

It would have been interesting to see how JR would have dealt with her at the time.

Swami

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. JR Ewing Fan

JR Ewing Fan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I don't even remember. It's had to have been over a decade though.
    J.R. became a bumbling fool after he lost Ewing Oil. Totally different character than the one he was in 1978.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,825
    Medals:
    Yes, making JR a complete whipping boy in the last few seasons didn't make sense at all.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +318
    If I recall correctly, in the original setup, Jock Ewing DID steal Digger Barnes’ share of the company. He felt he was justified because Digger came after him with a gun. But he still stole it.

Jock was no saint. Until, of course, they decided to make him one, retroactively, later in the series.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I had always wondered if originally Jock had cheated Digger of his shares.

9. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +318
    I went back to rewatch the episode where they explain this. When Jock and Digger struck oil, Digger got drunk and Jock went to register the claim. Jock said he registered the claim in his name only, because Digger was a gambler and he thought that Digger would gamble his share away. But he intended to share 50/50 with Digger. But Digger found out about Jock registering only in his name, and misunderstood. He went after Jock with a gun, intending to kill him. So Jock decided to keep the whole well after that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +876
    We had Jock's side of it and Diggers' side of it so I found Sam Culver's statement very important since he could be objective, having been friends with both Jock and Digger and being unaffected regardless of who ended up with what.. Sam told Jock: I'd say you did as right by him (Digger) as anyone could have asked, although I could d have done it without making an enemy out of him." Jock replied: "That's why you were the best politician in Texas."

There was a similar story told by the wildcatter who was the witness in the court case and provided Cliff with Digger's old, no longer valid document of ownership in Ewing Oil. He said that when they struck oil they all got drunk except Jock who had just a few drinks. The rest of them got so drunk they ended up in jail for drunk and disorderly. Jock registered them in his name because he was the only one who could since the rest were still in jail. The wildcatter explained that in those days you had to claim ownership as soon as you could or you risked someone else coming along and claiming it was his.

Jason and Digger each received a third of the company from Jock when they were released from jail. However, when the price of oil fell drastically, they sold their shares before they became worthless (according to their own predictions of what would happen to the price of oil in the future). They sold their shares to Wallace Windham since it was during the Great Depression and he was one of the few people who had money at that time - enough money to afford to buy their shares of Ewing Oil. He had no interest in becoming an oilman; he just did it as an investment. So when he met Jock he was glad to find out that Jock wanted to and could buy the shares from him. All he had to do was wait while Jock mortgaged everything and saved as much money as he could, paying Wyndham in installments until he had paid Windham in full.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Jock would certainly have been fuming with J.R. over the B.D. Calhoun fiasco. Jock would have been more fuming with the fact that J.R. bottled it when CIA agent Daltrey put the frighteners on him about B.D. even more than J.R. actually getting in touch with B.D. in the first place. I think Jock would have seen it as "J.R. and B.D. had a deal and a handshake, $1 million+ for blowing up Saudi oil fields to bring down the market price of North American crude, and J.R. bottled it and betrayed the man he did business with, thus placing our whole family in danger of certain retaliation from a mercenary on the warpath". The irony is, as B.D. said to a panicked J.R. on the phone from Saudi Arabia "You're clean". If J.R. had kept his bottle, it would have gone down just like J.R.'s funded counter-revolution in Season 4 DVD in South East Asia to denationalize the billionaire oil fields.

Of course, Jock would also have stood firmly by his family once B.D. was on the warpath.

As for what happened later with Nancy Scottfield and trying to keep the B.D. case in the CIA vault and well away from the Justice Department, I can see Jock fully supporting J.R. and Bobby all the way in trying to keep it buried. This was Ewing Oil, and it was under threat from Scottfield.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,757
    Medals:
    He became a bumbling fool after he lost Sue Ellen. Gaining back control of Ewing Oil could have been easily rectified had he teamed up with Sue Ellen and not that snot faced witch Kimberley Cryder. Ah well, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• Funny Funny x 1