1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was Maxwell Caulfield Difficult to Work with?

Discussion in 'The Colbys' started by Michael Torrance, Dec 1, 2019.

1. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 11 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +978
    I had a crush for John James, for some reasons, when I was a young Teen. And Maxwell Caufield left me cold at the time.
    Now that I am not a Teen anymore (I am a... Ty) I would go in a total threesome with those two, when they were in their 20/40's.

Who am I kidding? Maxwell aged very well, so I would go on my knee to praise his 60's awesomeness without blinking.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  2. Dallas Fanatic

Dallas Fanatic Soap Chat Member EXP: 1 Month

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Never knew MC was tough to work with. It is encouraging he admits it today and apologizes (which is better than most). I always thought he was an odd choice, as his only claim to fame before the Colbys was Grease 2, which is now a cult classic. His song solo in that movie is so atrocious that they couldn't even fix it in the studio. Youtube "Charade" from "Grease 2".

3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +4,062
    Regardless of what a disaster THE COLBYS ended up being for ratings, the casting principle was sound. They already had big names of the past (Heston, Stanwyck, Montalban) for the older roles, so they could go with new faces for the younger. After all, Coleman and James were not household names either (and neither was Collins!). When a show is good, it makes its actors into stars. When it is bad, even the combined star power of old Hollywood movies cannot save it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Brian Kinney

Brian Kinney Soap Chat Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +143
    In 1984 he was in Electric Dreams and in 1985 just before The Colbys in The Boys Next Door (co-starring Charlie Sheen, directed by upcoming Wayne's World's Penelope Spheeris, screenplay by future The X-Files writers Glen Morgan and James Wong) which was something of an instant cult classic - for those who have seen it, the production company went bankrupt around release time. Commercial failures but at that time Caulfied was still considered an upcoming star despite Grease 2 because the magazines nevertheless continued to write about him - he was hot, just without a shot. I think The Colbys stopped his chances to get other offers from independent film productions and I always thought he was one of the three best actors on The Colbys besides Montalban and Beacham because they had an original style not the generic TV acting of Samms, James or Ross and not the either wooden or hamming it up old style of Heston.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,616
    There's always a lot of people in Hollywood that are seen as "the next big thing that just hasn't gotten a break yet"... I bet Maxwell at the time had a good agent who were able to sell that line to anyone who would listen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +4,062
    Just like Chris Wood now, who is super hot, and the CW especially tries to give him vehicle after vehicle to make it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,616
    Oh yeah, HIM. For whatever reason The CW has decided that they guy is a star - then again they do just in general like to recycle their actors. Lucy Hale, who was lead on mega flop Life Sentence, was re-used for Katy Keane.

8. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 11 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +978
    • Like Like x 1
  9. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    Oh yeah. He expired by sacrificing his life and dropping to his death in the Holby City part of the first big cast-combining Casualty/Holby City full-on crossover (distinct from the usual story and cast crossovers), which festively killed off characters from both shows at Christmas 2004, after a tanker crashed into Holby City Hospital, leading to things exploding. John McArdle, Freema Agyeman, Nicola Stapleton and Rene Zagger were in that.

I remember George Irving quitting his role as the enigmatic Anton Meyer (hardly anything is revealed about his private life in a four year stint) on Holby City (and 1 episode of Casualty) because he felt that he was having trouble switching the character off at home and declined to ever return. Richard Bradford reportedly used to do that on ITC’s Man in a Suitcase. He himself said that he only used to get along with the actors playing the characters that his character (McGill with no first name, a former American intelligence agent, framed and dismissed by his bosses for something they know that he didn’t do) was supposed to get along with. Which wasn’t very many. This got him disliked by the stunt people because he didn’t like to rehearse and this caused actor Derren Nesbitt to pull out of a fight sequence with him. That sequence was handed to Larry Martin, who ended up in hospital from a stray Bradford punch. Although Bradford got along exceptionally well with Jacqueline Pearce, Anton Rodgers and particularly Colin Blakeley. Colin Blakeley played both a very bad baddie and also a brutal killer turned friendly priest. Bradford and Blakeley were reported to each take a long time to get into character but once ready, they worked very well and quickly. Bradford said that when Donald Sutherland (twice a guest actor), tried to be friendly to him, he wouldn’t let it happen, as they weren’t friendly in the show and the second time, Donald Sutherland’s character was trying to murder him. Although he got along very well with and had lifts from Peter Blythe, who tried to defenestrate him on the show.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Brian Kinney

Brian Kinney Soap Chat Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +143
    And now ABC too: Thirtysomething(else), which doesn't sound bad. He and Odette Annable will be in the pilot as the adult children of Ken Olin and Mel Harris.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1