Was There A Prime Time Soap With A Character With As Abrasive A personality As That Of Sue Ellen?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, May 19, 2018.

1. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,887
    Well I think the fact that Patricia said that shows that the writers were aware of that it was really what Sue Ellen was suffering from. Also I think theraphy can help people sort through their problems and understand the root of why they feel bad so it's not all that bad. Who knows maybe someone saw Sue Ellen on TV and realized that they were suffering from the same thing and also sought help?

So well I do think the show tackled this topic in a good way.

• Like Like x 1
  2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,105
    Possibly, but in the scene, Miss Ellie is the one who's trying to address the seriousness of Sue Ellen's condition, while Patricia casually dismisses it as "postpartum depression", something that's "not uncommon." In terms of the story, Patricia's diagnosis is irrelevant compared to Sue Ellen's triangle with JR and Cliff.

I didn't suggest it was bad at all, just that the kind of treatment Sue Ellen had would be prohibitively expensive for most people.

Who knows? Maybe someone did.

It didn't feel like Dallas was "tackling a topic" with this storyline anymore than Hamlet was "tackling depression" by having Hamlet contemplate suicide and Ophelia drown herself. If any topic-tackling did occur, it was as a by-product of telling a rattling good story. Perhaps, in the end, that's the best way to tackle a topic -- you don't tackle it, you just create fascinating characters and let them do their thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +90
    The gender politics of the show were always, ahem, dodgy. Sue Ellen’s neurosis was merely one manifestation of a whole series of female characters that, sometimes cast as vamps, avengers and femme fatales, all trod the same path to temporary or permanent madness:
    Pam
    Sue Ellen
    Amanda
    Katherine
    Lucy
    Kristin
    Lady Jessica
    Jenna
    Ray’s assailant
    Lisa
    Michelle
    Sheila
    TNT even retconned the idea that Mamma Ellie had a spell in a sanatarium.

And I’m sure I’ve missed out several....

Dallas recycled the mad woman in the attic schtick throughout its run. I never recall Dr Danvers issuing one of his stockpile of sedatives to any of the male protagonists.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +171
    The one thing that truly put me off about Sue Ellen was how she constantly used people and I really don't believe JR was to blame for that one.

Overall I love watching her though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,043
    I think it's called female hysteria, but maybe that was a long time ago (19th century?)

6. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Indeed. I think the ghoulish Dr Danvers had more hysterics on his client list than Charcot or Freud combined. And most of them were attached to the Ewings. If hysteria was the female malady of Dallas, anxiety appeared to be the one that afflicted the men.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,986
    DALLAS did use their crazy sister-in-law dynamic repeatedly, it's true.

JR went to a shrink in the later seasons, and the show let us know he was essentially beyond hope. Digger wound up in detox more than once. But few of the men ever wound up incapacitated to the point of being incarcerated against their will like poor Uncle Jonas whom we never saw.

But neither JR nor Sue Ellen were capable of a healthy relationship: Sue Ellen "loved" JR, and JR probably assumed he didn't deserve that love, so he punished her and rejected her for it. (A lot of people have that problem). But if JR had treated her better, Sue Ellen would have lost interest in him as she did her various suitors who'd actually been nice to her.

It's the old Groucho joke about not wanting to belong to any party that would have you as a member. And it's very common.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,110
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Well, alcohol and pills shouldn´t be mixed, and as we all know, the Ewing men always were drunk just because. Because they were men...Especially J.R. and Bobby. Re Sue Ellen...well, everybody got sick of her when she was drunk so they probably told Dr. Danvers she had just a terrible headache and anxiety. If she was given sedatives, peace could return to the Fork. Yes I know: Poor, poor Sue Ellen...

[​IMG]

And this is to that old dear Dr. Danvers...
    ...I miss those drugs he used to mix with my bourbon.​

• Funny Funny x 2