1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Was there any Knots Landing merchandise?

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by micmic, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    I never saw the Soaps and Serials books, but I can comment on Saga of Seaview Circle. The author took liberties when filling in certain blanks about characters' pasts, especially characters that were not that prominent. I don't think she was trying to revise history; the details she included only helped the writing sound like a genuine biography (as the book was written as if these were real people). I believe she only did this when the show provided absolutely no clues in dialogue, or producers had not provided any such information in character bios, such as colleges characters attended or the names of their parents.

The book was written in the period leading up to the seventh season cliffhanger, so all the life stories end at that point. Paige had just shown up on their doorstep to announce she was Mack's daughter, but had not used her mother's name. Since Mack had never mentioned his affair with Anne (and knew nothing about Paige), the author of the book had to make up some of the story. She even named Paige's mother "Pamela Matheson" rather than "Anne", which tells me the producers of the show had not ironed out all her details yet when the book went to press.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. micmic

micmic Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Filling gaps is fine.
    By the time I actually got a copy of the Laura van wormer book I never cared enough to read it :(
    But Lee raintree totally botched Gary & Val's story .
    I think a part of Dallas history too.
    I don't know why those people can run their book through 1-2 dedictaed Dan's to make sure they're not writing anything too stupid

3. micmic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +218

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. micmic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Screenshot_20180922-211052.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +419
    I'd buy that! Even the Karen doll to go with it! Can I light it on fire with the figure in it?

6. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    Well sure, but the experience is not complete without menacing instrumental music playing.

Or so I've heard.

Oh, I remember Landmark Calendar Company. Every year they would rent an empty store-front in the mall for ~2 months and stock it with hundreds, maybe a thousand different specialty calendars like that one. They were the original "pop-up store" back when we didn't even know what that was. They're probably still around, but I haven't seen those mall stores in years. Then again, malls in general seem to be in decline.

7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,458
    What a super-cool calendar!

I used to decorate all my school stuff with Dynasty pictures and I also had an official Dallas vs. Dynasty school diary (I wish I still had it, it's mega-obscure!!)

• Like Like x 1
  8. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,731
    Oh, I'd get that calendar in a heartbeat!

Oooooh! How fun. I was thinking just yesterday about how I used to print out DALLAS pictures and glue them to my high school textbooks. It gave me such pleasure to stare at them during class! I'd never heard of anyone else doing something like that before.

I've also never heard of a DALLAS vs DYNASTY diary. Cool!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,577
    Oh yeah the Lee Raintree Dallas book. Ugh. I hate how it botched up Gary and Val's story. In fairness though it came out really early, I think before Knots Landing was even on the air and well Lucy's mother wasn't even named Valene. I think it was Maureen and of course JR was Lucy's father. As if! :re:
    It's my least favorite out of all of the Dallas books because of it's glaring inconsistences. Oh and let's not forget how they went into details to describe how Sue Ellen was raped by that jerk who showed up in Wind of Vengeance. :censer:

• Like Like x 1
  10. micmic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Yes!!!
    I think they also said JR raped Val or something ..?

11. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    One of the pitfalls of doing these "companion books" while a show is still on the air (especially a soap) is there is a good chance that the show will engage in ret-conning the past lives of characters (that is, writing things into their pasts that were not planned previously, much less mentioned). Ret-con (as in "retroactive continuity") can irritate the viewer, but it will basically negate large sections of a book, since you can't go back and rip out sections and replace them with a supplement. I mentioned "Pamela" Matheson in Saga of Seaview Circle, but there are also sections of the past lives of several characters that got the ret-con treatment. Greg's older sister Claudia was never mentioned in his chapter, even as they tried so hard to tell the stories of his childhood with Ruth. Laura's adoption was never addressed; as far as the book was concerned, she was Hank's biological daughter. Ben's misadventures in college with mad bomber/terrorist Jean Hackney was not mentioned. You can't blame the author--I mean, these plots were dreamed up long after the book went to press.

They really should resist the urge to write these kinds of books until after the story/series has wrapped. But of course they won't, since the big money involves striking while the iron is hot. Saga probably would have sold even better if they had released it a year earlier, and I'm sure the sales would have been disappointing if they'd waited another year or two as ratings softened. It would have been great if they'd re-issued the book with 'updates' when the show ended, just to put a proper period on the end of the sentence, but I think Laura Van Wormer had moved on to writing romance novels or something else.

12. micmic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Last I saw Laura van Wormer's name, she was mentioned as Donna Mills' literary agent on Donna's website. Info is not there now, but you can still access it through the archived versions.

I think Donna said she was writing an autobiography at some point, but don't think anything happened with that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Valene Ewing’s Extra Strength Headache Powder can treat temporary amnesia.

14. micmic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I think you need the Jeff special fan kit
    Comes with dozen roses and a snake

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    I used to collect Matchbox cars as a kid. I would love that.
    I still have my Dallas and Dynasty calendars but sadly I never saw the Knots one.

• Creative Creative x 1
  16. micmic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +218
    It pops on eBay every once in a while. Put an alert and it'll be yours :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,577
    Possible. I don't remember the details though since it's been years since I read that book.

Interesting. Too bad that nothing came out of that project as I am sure it would have been a great book.