Was Victoria Principal right to speak out

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Pamela_E, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Medals:
    Apparently one cast member made it clear VP should not be in this show, to the point they would not do it if she was involved.

Same with the reunion get together.

Despite not being asked back, VP apparently called to say don't ask her back as she would say no. But they had no intention anyway.

At the very beginning, before all the politics were known, CC didn't write in a Pam as she believed Pam was dead. Both from reading character bios and watching her final hospital scene.

I don't know but think whatever went down happened at that Dallas special that the Fonz produced. I never heard anything specific with LG, where did you hear that?

I always wonder how it was for VP in those days, she always seemed a rather strong opinionated female in a very male dominated world. She was never one to be controlled, even how she took it upon herself to take control of her image.

I wonder when are career started out, that she was controlled by men in power and then perhaps took it back when she had success.

Maybe some people didn't like that.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +575
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Jesse Metcalf say something along the lines that he was "looking forward to working with" VP? I though I read that somewhere. If it's true, and they were spreading the rumor that VP was coming back to garner interest in the show, I don't blame VP for making a contradictory statement.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. xab

xab Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I remember that too. Knowing the season was a wrap and Pam's fate was sealed when he declared that, it was kind of dishonest.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,692
    Medals:
    It was just female viewers, and posters here, who were convinced that VP and LG had had a fight during the special. At first I pooh-poohed it as female silliness about female silliness, but when I looked at it for a third time, I decided they were right. Like JR said about Afton: sometimes women notice little things that men tend to overlook.

I think he said something like she could come back if she wanted to.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Medals:
    Yes that is true. I think it was on a chat show, he mentioned her. Not sure if he said those exact words though.

Perhaps VP got him axed :dance:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,961
    Medals:
    Interesting that VP really wasn't asked to come back to Dallas TNT. Too bad that the situation between her and her former co-stars have gotten that infected as a lot of fans really wanted her to come back at that point. :(

Yes I remember Jesse Metcalfe mentioning how he would love to work with her too!

7. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    I think there was still LOTS of bitter blood between VP and certain cast members of TNT’s Dallas, myself. Granted, she prob never would have returned, but if certain people blackballed her from the revival, they were really stupid. I can’t see VP licking boots and acquiescing to Cidre like other Dallas actors did. VP would call a sh-t script a sh-t script, period.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    Medals:
    That's the key distinction. VP would not actually know for sure what they were planning to do with the character so her statement that she would not be in it is not necessarily a giveaway.

There's a world of difference between those two. Do we have the exact quote?

9. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Medals:
    He said

"I can't reveal more, but I'm excited about the possibility of Victoria Principal coming back to the show."

I guess he should have said "the character of Pam"

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    Medals:
    Mmm, "possibility" is still ambiguous.:think:

11. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Medals:
    Yep but I guess by naming her it lit the fuse but it was already speculation before this and I don't recall if the question he was asked related to VP, I only have his reply.

But Kim Dickens has continually been mentioned in the press as returning to Fear but has kept quiet. Hence my original thoughts on it. She hasn't felt the need to make some grand statement. Of course it could be she is returning and fans are excited with that possibility. As she is she is Fears version of Pam Ewing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +4,838
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    The one who was probably getting a bit excited by all this was Margaret Michaels...

About anything that la Cidre might have said or done, now we know what there was in her mind...

[​IMG]

And also...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,429
    I like that attitude in principle but it doesn't always work. Mickey Rourke ruined his career doing that.

14. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,385
    Medals:
    I think that says a lot of that one cast member and its not great, and I have to say that if VP had appeared at the 30th Anniversary at SF, it would have been the icing on the cake with a cherry on top. She was one cast member that many people would have loved to see there

I think that some people are rather jealous of her and what she achieved post Dallas, she has a strong head for business and is very shrewd and savvy and knew how to make a buck or three. I like the fact she didn't dance to anyone's tune and played it her way.

I also love what she does today and her FB posts are wonderful, funny and show off her kind heart for charitable deeds especially towards the welfare of animals

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +4,838
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    :10::gp::bravo1:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,123
    Gee whiz. This thread certainly tells me one thing. How important the character of Pam is/was to Dallas. Dare I say it? More important than JR? Was Cynthia Cidre desperately trying to save her series by tempting us with a character many wished to see return to Dallas? If Cynthia did manage pull that rabbit out of the hat I would have kissed her feet. Instead I'm left here on Soapchat; throwing the odd tantrum directed at Cynthia.

I stand by Victoria and her statement. Say what you will about my girl but each and everytime I read her statement it reinforces my opinion of the tragic story of Bobby and Pam. There was no happy ending; and I can live with that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +309
    She was absolutely correct to quash dishonest publicity seeking rumours of her return when an approach had not even been made. It was exploitative and discourteous to an actor who had played a big part in the success of the original show.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    Considering the way that she was treated during her final season offscreen, I would never speak to ANY of the cast members again (those that were on the original Dallas, that is).

19. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Medals:
    She is good at controlling her image and I thought she always came across really well in interviews. Her Wogan chats will always be my favourite. Both VP and Larry were probably the most charismatic in interviews.

I hope one day she writes an in-depth autobiography. I find her career interesting, from all those early glamour shots we have seen to her time on Dallas and taking back control. There is an interesting narrative there.

I think she was just telling a story and was making it as intriguing as possible. It wasn't about Pam, it was about Christopher. I was pleased with the outcome. For years we said that Pam would never have left Christopher permanently and CC put things right. I actually think she gave Pam a dignified end.

Of course it would have been fun if Pam had returned but even then fans would have complained that she wasn't reunited with Bobby.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,429
    I guess it depends what you like. Pam's romance with Bobby was good and a long-running storyline but Bobby had every bit as much a part in that as Pam, and he had a wider range of things he could do. Bobby was also involved in a lot of the best business related storylines so would you then say Bobby was the most important character? Offhand, I can't think of a storyline Pam carried or was one of the two primary characters in, that wasn't a romance or her wanting a baby.

My favorite part of Dallas was the stories related to running Ewing Oil.. The contest between JR and Bobby that was set up in Jock's will was the best thing I ever saw in Dallas. That story was interesting from the beginning of it, right to the end, a year later. JR being shot by Kristin, JR setting up Cliff to spend more than he could afford for the offshore oil leases, and the stories involving Cliff or Wendell trying to hurt Ewing Oil were all a lot of fun to watch.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1