Wasted Characters

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by ClassyCo, Sep 29, 2016.

1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +717
    Which characters had potential but ended up disappointing you in some way or another?

To start this off, I would have to say Dominique Deveraux. The award-winning Diahann Carroll was unbelievably beautiful and her acting was good, but I think the problem with her was the writing, or the way the writing turned out to be more specific. Dominique came in strong at the tail end of Season 4, but once she was "accepted" into the Carrington "dynasty", she didn't really have a whole bunch to do. She had her romance with Brady and Garrett, and her relationship with Jackie, of course, but these weren't necessarily the most interesting of storylines.

When I first got into Dynasty several years ago, I watched several videos and read as much as could about the show, and I was led to believe that Dominique was one of the show's better and more interesting characters. The clips I watched of her and Alexis' "spats" (or cat fights) also made me feel that she was going to give Alexis a run for her money. When Dominique first came in as the "mystery lady" or sorts, she was dynamite! Dominique was to be the show's black villain, but she was written wrong to be as evil as Carroll wanted her to be. Making her Blake's half-sister was the mistake, I think. Once she was on Blake's side (so to speak), she was a part of the "goody-goody clique", and the only time she was even close to being a "baddy" was her occasional confrontation with Alexis. Had she been connected to Kirby or Joseph or someone else, perhaps she could have been a more vindictive than she ended up.

upload_2016-9-29_13-51-1.png

Second, I would probably have to go with Cassandra 'Caress' Morell. Being Alexis' younger sister obviously gave her potential to be evil, and the writers at least tried to have her live up to her big sister (if only partly). She came in during the second half of Season 6 (along with Blake's brother, Ben), at a time when the producers were wanting to "fix" the show because of ever-declining ratings. I really liked how she was brought in--the whole locked away in prison scenario, and her meeting up with Alexis again. I wish her book Sister Dearest had been published, but it's obvious the writers didn't want anyone to be "beat" Alexis in the long run. The writing for Caress was always pretty good, and Kate O'Mara's acting was great, but it always seemed to me that the writing for her was just never finished. I always felt like she was propped up to do something mega-big, but it just never went all the way through.

What could have been done with Caress? Well, I think had the writing went on to have all of her dirty dealings go through, she could have done something of greater significance. Caress probably had more potential than Dominique, but she ended up probably having a smaller impact, although her story was probably better overall.

upload_2016-9-29_14-14-34.png

Which characters didn't live up to their potential for you?

• Like Like x 6
  2. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    Medals:
    For me, two lovely young ladies always come to mind (when its not the two mentioned above).

Amanda Carrington
    and Kirby Anders. Man on man, did these girls have potential. Like Diahann Carroll and Kate O'Mara, Catherine Oxenberg and Kathleen Beller were stunningly beautiful women. Granted, neither girl was the actress that the two women were, but they still had charm and were capable of delivering good lines when it counted. And yet...

Amanda came in as a "Fallon replacement", and the writers never thought to write her as her own character. And for some strange reason, they never gave her the storylines or the pairings that seemed the most obvious: ie, pairing her up with Jeff, having her rival Fallon, having her become besties with Adam, etc. There was SO MUCH Amanda could have brought to the table; maybe not as a character, but definitely for storylines. What's really sad is how Catherine was given the boot to make way for somebody totally wrong for the character (Karen Cellini could have worked as a DYNASTY character, but not as Amanda).

0xenberg.jpg

Then there's Kirby, who grew up alongside Fallon, Steven and Jeff. The "downstairs girl" who longed to be the "upstairs bride". A perfect layout for a show centered on The Beautiful Elite, and yet they made Kirby so unlikable that not only were people giving Kathleen flack about her acting, but also for her looks. Which is really sad, given how she was arguably better made-up than poor PSM at the time.

0kathleen.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. Countess Isabella

Countess Isabella Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I agree. Both Amanda and Kirby had LOADS of potential.

Amanda was poorly written, and was only considered to be a Fallon replacement. She could have been so much more. If I had been writing her, I would have had her get a Master's degree in Business Administration, and start her own company. None of this being dependent upon Mummy or Daddy stuff.

I'd also have her be besties with Adam. They were the two outsiders; not raised in the family itself, but longing to be a part of it. Yet, Amanda was accepted a lot quicker than he was. Was there some gender bias going on there? Imagine the kind of chaos that those two could have created, simply for the fun of it where the others were concerned.

Although, I would NOT have paired her up with a wuss like Jeff. Or an idiot like Dex either. Certainly not the dipstick prince she was married to. That boy had as much personality as a limp dishrag.

As for Kirby, WHY would she want to marry Jeff if she had been raised alongside him? Wouldn't she know for certain what a wussy, self-righteous prig he was at that point? Who'd want a husband like that?

She could have taken her degree and done so much with it besides being a nanny. Not that there's anything wrong with being a nanny, but to be stuck taking care of your romantic rival's baby, when you're still carrying a torch for the daddy? Uh, no.

As for the pairing with Adam, I'd have written it different. For one thing, it would have been an attempted rape, because she would have beaned him with one of the VERY expensive vases while he had a hold of her, and had Alexis come in while that was taking place.

And Alexis would have been on HER side, because in the distant past, she had been raped by Blake (this would have led to Amanda being conceived), as well as being too angry for words that her eldest son was taking after his father in that regard.

Once he had recovered from being beaned with the vase, he'd spend an hour or so being reamed by his mother, who would tell him the ugly truth about Blake and how he was taking after him.

Kirby, not wanting to ever face Adam again, and knowing that he would not be barred from the mansion, would resign as LB's nanny, and book it for greener pastures elsewhere. Joseph would breathe a sigh of relief as his precious baby girl would be away from the nuthouse that he is shackled to, even if it did mean that he would never see her again.

• Like Like x 3
  4. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +717
    I wasn't too huge a fan of Kirby when she was on the show, but I guess I would have liked her had she been written differently. At the same time, it has been a while since I've watched her seasons, so I could very well see her performance or impact differently now. I may have to give her episodes another go-around here pretty soon.

I really liked Amanda when she came in. I thoroughly enjoyed how she was surrounded with mystery as to whom she was initially, and I loved how she popped into Alexis' apartment. "What are you doing here, Amanda?" Loved it! What I didn't like, however, was how Amanda became increasingly whiny and all that "mummy" and "oh, daddy" stuff. She was beautiful, yes, but she did irritate me on occasion.
    Yes, maybe had Amanda buddied up with Adam, she would have been able to bring a bit more to the table. She could have stayed nastier, like Adam always was, and she could perhaps stayed on Alexis' side.

As for Kirby, I don't know how she could have been "corrected", but I guess what you have said does make sense. She did seem to make all the wrong decisions, especially the pairing with Jeff. I didn't go for that, either. Perhaps had she stayed with Adam, she would have turned out more of a villain. Then, maybe Kirby could have butted heads with Amanda more. You know, considering Amanda and Adam would became buddies, and if Kirby had been left on the show longer.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Countess Isabella

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Kirby wouldn't have care one way or another about Amanda, except if Amanda treated her badly the way that Alexis did. THEN, she would have declared war.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    Medals:
    If Amanda became close with Adam, and if Amanda considered Kirby to be "not good enough" for her brother, then there could have been some rivalry. In fact, I love imagining season 8 being a replay of season 2 with Adam/Dana/Kirby being the new Blake/Krystle/Alexis, with Amanda and Kirby having the relationship Fallon and Sammy Jo had in season 2 as well.

Amanda: (to Kirby) You are what you are, my brother's biggest mistake!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    Medals:
    Huh, that's actually a pretty good idea, only I liked her acting like a spoilt princess in seasons 5 and 6. At least during those seasons, she was in her early 20s and therefore it could be expected of her to be like that. However, in season 7, that would have been the perfect time for the character to grow up, especially with Blake having lost his business.

In another thread that existed before the whole forum got deleted, the notion was raised that instead of getting his business back in season 7, Blake simply starts a new business (a callback to season 1, where Blake declares if he started from scratch, he'd have a million dollars by the end of the year, and 10 million by the next). And having all four of his children helping him out would have been an excuse for Blake to get the 10 million a lot sooner. It would have been an excellent opportunity for Amanda to develop and become a mature business woman. :D

Well, take into consideration the fact that each of them had different upbringings:

Adam's "grandmother" isolated him from other children so he never had any close friends, and his loneliness caused him to turn to drugs which hampered his mental abilities. Plus he had to work and sacrifice a lot to get through school and achieve his lawyer degree.

Amanda, however, was raised by a mother and father, even if they weren't her birth parents. Although it seemed like neither Rosalind or Rosalind's husband were very attentive, whereas Alexis, who visited from time to time over the years, was much more attentive to Amanda. So unlike Adam, Amanda got to have a more stable upbringing, and she didn't seem to have to struggle as much, as Alexis helped pay for many (if not all) of Amanda's education.

So really, it stands to reason that Amanda would be more well-adjusted than her big brother, and able to fit in better. However, they still could have bonded over being outsiders in the Carrington household, with Amanda becoming Adam's Morality Pet, so to speak. lol

I wouldn't have paired Amanda up with any of those three either, but that's not the point. The point is for Amanda to be involved with all the wrong men before she comes across the one guy who'd be perfect for her: Clay Fallmont. :D

But Amanda getting involved with Jeff just seems like a logical step to me. After all, he was pining after Fallon, and all of a sudden he finds out Fallon had a sister? How could he not become intrigued? Plus had it been up to me, Amanda would have believed that Blake would only love her if he saw her as Fallon, and so allowed both him and Jeff to view her as such. Later on she would learn to be her own person.

Well take into consideration: Jeff was the show's Designated Nice Guy from season 3 onward. In seasons 1 and 2, he really was a developed nice guy, and the writers for some reason believed he remained that way for the rest of the show. Hence, Jeff would have been a nice person while he and Kirby were growing up.

Actually, there was a method to that madness:

Kirby returns home from France, and runs into Jeff. After congratulating him on both his marriage and baby, Jeff openly states that his marriage is falling apart.

Later, when helping Jeanette warm up LB's bottle, Kirby finds out that Fallon and Jeff don't have a nanny yet.

Next, Kirby meets up with Fallon and offers to help Fallon give LB a bath, and is quick to point out how she, Kirby, spent "last August" working as a nanny for a rich couple on a private yacht, taking care of their 4-month-old son. Kirby even goes further to say how much she loved babies and loves looking after them. And that is when Fallon starts to offer her the job, but then says, "Nah, you're overqualified." But Kirby presses the issue, and Fallon finally offers the position. "It would only be temporary!" Fallon adds. Kirby looks like she's thinking it over, and then agrees... and then, when Fallon isn't looking, Kirby gives her a sneaky, "I have you now" kind of look.

Obviously, Kirby wanted to be LB's nanny in order to ingratiate herself in Jeff's eyes, making herself out to be a much more maternal figure than Fallon. A better mother. A better wife.

But then what would be the point of bringing Kirby in if that's all she does? Come in, be a nanny, get manhandled by Adam before skipping town? That would make her an even bigger waste!

Had it been up to me, the rape would have been more like a seduction. At first, when Adam starts kissing Kirby, she acts annoyed rather than scared, but as he persists she starts to respond, and willingly sleeps with him. Although later on she's embarrassed and upset at herself, because Adam reminded her of Jean Paul, the married French guy she had an affair with; she felt like she had made the same mistake all over again. "You'll only use me and throw me away once you're bored with me, just like he did!"

And I can't see Alexis being on Kirby's side. Alexis was a classist, she looked down on the "downstairs"/poorer people, and thought the world of her sons.

As for Alexis being raped by Blake... no. That wouldn't work. And here's why: Alexis was too in love with him. Season 2 was all about Alexis wanting Blake back, even after he threatened to burn her alive in her studio (because he had found out she was responsible for Krystle's miscarriage). Heck, even while Cecil was dying from his heart attack, Alexis cried out, "I need you to get Blake!"

So really, why would Alexis want Blake so much, if he had raped her at one time? Yes, Alexis had skewed priorities, even bordered on being a sociopath, but even she had her moral limits. I can't see her wanting to be with a man who raped her. And yes, yes, there is the issue with Blake raping Krystle with her choosing to stay with him, but Blake was in a drunken jealous rage (he was frustrated at the lives of his children and had just found out that Krystle was taking birth control) and Krystle, I believe she allowed the act to happen (because she was feeling guilty about going behind Blake's back and helping Matthew Blaisdel out - and kissing him).

Not only that, but the writers were in a different mindset about Blake in season 1. In season 2, it was decided that Blake needed to be the hero of the show, with Cecil and Alexis as the new villains. Had they gone that route from the beginning, Blake probably never would have raped Krystle at all.

So... yeah. I vote no on Blake raping Alexis at one point.

Besides, in the episode where Adam and Kirby have their first night together, Alexis was with Blake searching for Steven on a different continent. So yeah. lol

• Like Like x 2
  8. Countess Isabella

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ok, all very good points.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,447
    Medals:
    Yes, that's how I feel about it too.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    Medals:
    Thank you. :)

I think we all do. :(

• Like Like x 1
  11. Countess Isabella

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Caress' storyline was excellent, but fell short. She should never have spouted off at her sister about the damned book, or at least published it in the UK first, before bringing it to the US. And had her recollections backed up by her own mother. As well as Rosalind, and whoever else she could get quotes from.

Or better yet, gone to Blake about it. He would have been all too happy to sock it to Alexis.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    Medals:
    But Caress *never* spouted off at Alexis about the book, Alexis found out about it when she picked up the phone when the publishing company rang for Caress, and Alexis pretended to be Caress to find out what they were talking about.

And Caress *did* go to Blake, but Blake ended up refusing to air any dirty laundry, surprisingly. Though Caress should have gone to Krystle for dirt, she would have been willing! lol

• Like Like x 2
  13. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +774
    Medals:
    Dominique, for sure!

However, after about Season 02, everyone and everything on the show was wasted anyway......

• Like Like x 3
  14. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    Medals:
    True, but so far the characters listed only got to have 2 seasons worth of useless material (well, Dominique was in 4 seasons, but only in the tail-end of season 4 and was barely in season 7, so I guess we could say that adds up to just 3 seasons). Most of the other characters all got to stick around for a long enough to at least get *something* worthwhile out of their stay.

15. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +774
    Medals:
    Correct.

My vote is still Dominique.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +717
    I've never been one to agree with the belief that everything following Season 3 was "wasted" or no good. Sure, it wasn't up to par with the second season (probably the show's overall best year), but I can honestly say that everything between Season 3 and 5 necessarily disappointed me. Of course, there were some things throughout those three seasons that I didn't like or wish they had done differently, but overall I enjoyed them.

For me, the show fell apart after the Massacre. The first part of Season 6 was pretty boring (or to me anyhow), but the mid-season "fix up" was decent and the show did recover, or at least, I think it did. I've only seen bits and pieces of Seasons 7 thru 9, so I couldn't say for sure how well those seasons were.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Countess Isabella

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah, Dominique was definitely underused, and badly written at times.

It seems as if she forgot all of her animosity when Tom acknowledged her as his daughter. That just doesn't fly! Someone carrying around that kind of resentment, from the time she learned who her father was, isn't simply going to forget it when he kicks the bucket.

Although her hatred of Blake wasn't really understandable. He knew nothing of his father's outside relationship, so why hate him? Unless it was because he was the nearest Carrington TO hate!

• Like Like x 3
  18. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,151
    Medals:
    Amanda of course was wasted. Another idea is that she'd end up being stuck between Adam and Steven - Adam, of course, bitterly reminding her that she'll never be accepted, that she'll always be the outsider and encouraging her to give in to her dark impulses. On the other side of the field you'd have Steven constantly encouraging her to be a good person and trying to bond with her the best he can. It would also put more conflict between Adam and Steven, which would inevitably lead to more homoerotic tussles all over the place.

But overall, I think the show severely missed out on potential sibling bounding. They introduced both Adam and Amanda because the son and daughter had left at the points when they were introduced. At least Adam turned out to be so drastically different that he doesn't feel like a waste. It's bisarre that Amand and Fallon had one scene in total during the entire series, hell, after a brief mention of her going to London they ignored that she existed in Dynastyverse. I've always said that they should've written one of Alexis' abscences in season nine as visiting Amanda in London (and of course have her back in the season nine finale to break Alexis' fall).

• Like Like x 5
  19. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,974
    Medals:
    All of them.

Caress, Dominque, but especially Krystle.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,662
    Medals:
    Yea... Krystle is like the most wasted character ever.

• Like Like x 3