Watched the dream season for the first time.

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by DC1888, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,613
    Medals:
    I loved the dream season - for the first 12 epiosdes
    Momma Miss Ellie back
    Dallas and SF looked great
    Pam, Sue Ellen and Donna all did some of their finest acting work
    ray and Donna were so intense
    liked Pam and Mark
    liked Sue Ellen and Dusty
    has a great OBB and Rodeo
    and liked the intro of Ben Stivers and wondered how if would impact on Miss Ellie

Liked all the storylines until it got to Emerald mines and nutty Angelica Nero, and Jamie in a coma (didnt notice a huge difference there)

most friends i knew who "liked" Dallas stuck with it, but the minute Bobby Ewing came back in a shower and said Good morning, they tuned out and felt cheated and annoyed that Lorimar thought they could be so gullible to accept it and annoyed that Pat D made a huge issue of why he wanted to leave but came back as he wasnt the new harrison Ford and didnt make it in films.

From that point on i had few people to discuss dallas with lol and it was long before this Forum

re Justin Lee Collins, not such a nice guy who physically and verbally abused his girlfriend and ended up in court for it
    I was very disappointed when i read on this forum that the whole show was scripted! :(

• Like Like x 3
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,259
    "Dallas killed itself...". Susan you are absolutely right. As an avid viewer I felt cheated and so my love affair with Dallas began to fade. Donna and Ray's story-line in that dream season was gut-wrenching to watch. For that alone I should re-watch it and skip the other horrible stuff. Dallas should have stuck to its strengths rather than compete against that other piece of fluff - Dynasty. So desperate were the producers and Larry to get Patrick back they were prepared to castrate an entire season and hoped we would forgive them. Others will argue the following season appeared to get itself back on track except we then had to deal with the loss of Pam. And if the debacle of Donna Reed and the dream season wasn't enough to contend with the producers/writers screwed around with Pam's departure, only to be corrected some 25 years later! I find it ironic that two main players in all this, Leonard Katzman (Executive Producer, Season 10-14) and Larry Hagman (Executive Producer, Season 12-14), two men who should have known better than anyone else what made Dallas so successful in those first several seasons, screwed what was once great television into the ground.

And why am I still writing about the dream season 30 years later! :brick:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ferney

Ferney Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +173
    No, Season 10 is one of the very best seasons of the series. But I would say it does go downward after that, and very rapidly. Which is unfortunate, but Season 10 was great!

The Dream season might be the most serious season Dallas had- it's not much fun to watch. Even JR is not particularly entertaining. With 31 episodes, it can be a struggle to get through.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,815
    Donna and Ray were SUPERB this season. They're strongest story and acting on the show. They were always good actors but this took them to another level. I loved Mark and Pam together this season too. So sweet to watch. Yay BBG back. Jenna fast forward button

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,595
    Ray wasn't half as annoying as Donna. She was so obnoxious always acting as if she were the authority on everything, and if I didn't know better, I'd have thought she had a creative control clause written into her contract that allowed her to always get to win every argument she ever had with Ray and allowed her to be a success in every single new job she ever tried. That got to be so predictable, you knew they'd write the stories so that Donna always got to have her way and Ray never did. She was constantly changing careers and getting new jobs but God forbid Ray try anything new and she'd always say the same thing: What happened to that cowboy I married, I miss that cowboy I married, etc. Apparently she really had a thing for cowboys.

Then when finally something did go wrong for her, finding out her unborn baby had Down's Syndrome, she was so obstinate about having a baby with a handicap that of course Ray had to relent and agree they would keep the baby. After that bull caused Donna to miscarry, Ray, very practically, suggested that they try to have another baby and hopefully that one wouldn't have any type of birth defect or sickness. But of course Donna would have none of that. Not only could they not try to have a healthy child of their own, they couldn't adopt one either. They had to adopt a child with a handicap to please Donna.

They did everything but name it "The Donna And Her Dumb Cowboy Show." How could Ray put up with her? She was just obnoxious.

6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,662
    Medals:
    Ray was insecure and constantly trying to prove he was something more or better than he was, when in fact he didn't need to. Donna liked him just the way he was when she met him. She just wanted Ray if she had have wanted a mega rich oil business man she would have been with one.
    Ray seemed hell bent on being as good as the Ewings which in itself is flawed, I mean they were a bunch of screwballs.

• Like Like x 3
  7. azDallas

azDallas Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I liked the Dream Season. after that there was never really a heart to the show anymore, just scheming.

it was almost like 3 seasons to me. the first 8 or so episodes dealt with Bobby's death. then they went into the whole Pam emerald thing. then finally after that they dealt with the Angelica stuff.