Watching Capricorn Crude

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Willie Oleson, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,697
    Medals:
    Funny, I watched this episode Tuesday night for the first time in a long while (I'm re-watching DALLAS from the beginning for the first time in 3 or 4 years) and it's the only time I'd really noticed Guzzler's speech.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,107
    Medals:
    A bunch of notorious kidnappers has arrived in Dallas, and this time they plan to extort a fortune from Jock Ewing.
    upload_2019-5-7_19-28-55.png
    Their target: JR Ewing.
    Bobby has a flat tire, takes JR's car to drive to the construction site and that's how they end up kidnapping the mistaken identity Ewing instead.
    upload_2019-5-7_19-28-22.png

I always like scenes like these, those short moments before the characters are confronted with a tragedy.
    upload_2019-5-7_19-36-55.png
    Pam is getting a little worried, but only we know how really bad the situation is.

Cliff arrives with a note from the kidnappers, Jock reads it and it becomes apparent that they had intended to kidnap JR.
    upload_2019-5-7_19-57-26.png
    Now, none of this is JR's fault of course, but it does create the idea that Bobby is the victim because JR isn't.
    The characters don't act or say anything that supports this idea, but somehow it makes the situation even more uncomfortable.

Bobby is almost sexually harassed by the female kidnapper.
    upload_2019-5-7_20-13-49.png
    Is that politically correct or incorrect?
    She looks like a cross between Jennifer Saunders and Rebecca Wentworth.
    upload_2019-5-7_20-18-51.png

JR and the Southfork men shoot the kidnappers shortly after the money/victim exchange.
    Cliff accuses JR of endangering their lives, and his life in particular. And to be honest, Cliff was still rather close when they started shooting.
    upload_2019-5-7_20-25-39.png
    You'd expect JR to laugh it away, but he's getting quite upset.
    "There's no chance of that. You were both in the clear, both of you!"
    upload_2019-5-7_20-29-15.png
    It's not really clear why this bothers him so much. Maybe he hates the idea that his decision may not have been the best decision?
    Or because he doesn't want Bobby to think that he would intentionally imperil the life of Cliff Barnes?
    upload_2019-5-7_20-33-21.png
    It seems to be a happy ending without any heroes…

...but JR declares himself a hero anyway.
    "Well, with me there he was never safer in his life"
    upload_2019-5-7_20-37-30.png
    There's absolutely nothing convincing about that statement, but that's not the point - or actually, it is.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,140
    their rundown hideout house might well be the absolute pinnacle of television set design in the 70s

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,046
    Medals:
    The first example of why one Ewing should never drive another Ewing's car. See also: Sue Ellen and Mickey in Season 5, Pam in Season 9.

I was too young to see this season when it originally aired and this episode wasn't shown during BBC2's post 'Who Shot JR?' nightly reruns and this scene was cut out of the VHS release so when I eventually saw it on DVD I was ... shocked.

Ha - yes, she does! Also, her character is more or less replicated by the female hostage taker in "Moments of Truth", the baby shower siege episode of KNOTS a couple of years later, even down to the flinty eyes and auburn colouring.

The Ewing doth protest too much, methinks. He wanted Cliff dead, I reckon.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,107
    Medals:
    It looks very staged, like a set for a video clip.

6. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,441
    He wouldn't have minded Cliff being dead but he wasn't trying to kill Cliff; just scare him. If he'd really wanted Cliff dead, Cliff would have been dead. It's often occurred to me that in real life, Cliff would have ended up dead. Not in this episode necessarily but at some point. Spending your life antagonizing people who have a lot of power isn't particularly healthy.

Of course they wouldn't have had JR or some other oilman kill Cliff because that would hurt the show too much. You need somebody keeping the Barnes-Ewing feud going. It would have hurt JR's popularity if he had had Cliff killed because while people would put up with a lot from JR because they liked him so much, they wouldn't have put up with that Then he becomes just an ordinary villain instead of that blend of hero and villain that makes up an antihero.

BTW, what did you think when Bobby, after already being free and clear of the kidnappers ran back towards them and towards the area where the gunfire was taking place to tackle Cliff? Didn't he think Cliff had enough common sense to duck? I can't seriously believe Bobby didn't even think Cliff had the sense to get down on the ground until the gunfire was over. The only remaining reason for doing that is he wanted to use his body to shield Cliff, but are we really supposed to believe Bobby valued Cliff highly enough that he'd take a bullet for him? I find it difficult to believe but nevertheless, that's what they had Bobby do - risked taking a bullet by using his own body to shield Cliff's body. So, what does that say about Cliff considering that after Bobby risked making a sacrifice on that level, Cliff still kept trying to hurt Bobby and even Pam by trying to ruin her marriage to Bobby? What would Bobby have had to have done to get Cliff to leave them and their marriage alone?

7. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,140
    I'm not sure if it was the kidnappers or if it was the notorious graffiti artist Pancho Lee, but someone who was in that house sure loved spoons!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,107
    Medals:
    It's a shame that Dallas didn't have a character named Sherlof Spoons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,107
    Medals:
    The next episode is a sentimental drama à la Little House On The Prairie, with the Red File Land story running in the background.

It's funny that the scene changes from this painting (shades of the Mercantile - and yes, Harriet would definitely turn Walnut Grove into an oilfield)
    upload_2019-5-16_0-47-30.png
    to the scene where we see Jock Ewing sitting in a painting.
    upload_2019-5-16_0-53-5.png
    If you'd throw a ball over the fence, an invisible force would simply throw it back! I'm a sucker for this kind of fakery.

Miss Ellie and Sue Ellen are making plans for the nursery.
    upload_2019-5-16_0-58-13.png
    And Miss Ellie makes a rather shocking reference to "JR not being so shy anymore".

Sue Ellen calls Cliff to ask for his opinion on the wallpaper, as a way to include him in the baby-process.
    She probably means well but it's a silly thing to do since he's never going to be part of their lives.
    upload_2019-5-16_1-5-37.png
    Cliff suggests pale-yellow. Well, of course!
    Are the Ewings trying to steal Florida's nickname?

In the meantime, Jock and Ray discover some fishy monkey business on section...40, I think.
    upload_2019-5-16_1-18-55.png
    I don't remember how this story is going to end, but a discovery is always an interesting development.

SoapLand's first return-from-the-dead character is Miss Ellie's brother, Garrison Southworth.
    upload_2019-5-16_1-30-44.png
    Both his name and his looks suggest that he's a villainous patriarch from a Gone With The Wind type of movie.
    For what will become a classic soap trope, I must say Barbara Bell Geddes gives a credible performance, alternating between shock, outrage and sheer happiness.

But not all the Ewings are thrilled to have another Southworth in their midst.
    upload_2019-5-16_1-38-57.png
    Incidentally, are there any trophies in that cabinet?

Hunk in hideous towel alert #1 (the other towels weren't ugly)
    upload_2019-5-16_1-41-26.png

In the meantime (maybe I should call it in the "Raytime") Ray is snooping about, because he knows ordinary people.
    upload_2019-5-16_1-44-23.png

Since Garrison was supposed to inherit Southfork (before he forgot to mention that he didn't drown), Miss Ellie gets the extremely nobel idea to retroactively grant her father's wishes. It's mostly about guilt, because she knows that her brother's death was the only reason she got Southfork.
    (I hope I'm not mixing up the "forks" and "worths").
    However, Jock doesn't share this feeling of guilt, even more so because without him there wouldn't have been a Southfork to inherit.
    But it's also Jock's standard argument: "my money". After all, dollars don't lie.
    It becomes a heated argument, and also the episode's most delicious scene.

"You're overstepping your place, Miss Ellie".
    "My PLACE?"
    upload_2019-5-16_1-57-31.png
    "Just what IS my place?!"
    Jock doesn't give in.
    "I am still the head of this household, with or without your permission!".
    It's an interesting contradiction: she opposes Jock's authority but she also considers herself "just a daughter" who couldn't inherit from her father - eventhough Garrison left them when things went rough.

Charlie Wates spills the beans about Ray's investigation.
    upload_2019-5-16_2-14-3.png
    Where would JR be without all the other two-faced people?

Anyway, there's also good news: Garrison doesn't want Southfork, he only came home to die.
    upload_2019-5-16_2-14-47.png
    And Jock can keep the painting.

• Winner Winner x 4
  10. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,441
    One thing about Jock - he doesn't flip-flop like Miss Ellie did there as you pointed out. He says what he means and means what he says. You always know where you stand with Jock and he's right that without him saving Southfork from foreclosure, there wouldn't have been a Southfork for either Ellie or Garrison to inherit.

11. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,229
    Medals:
    Richard Kelton died one week before his performance as Guzzler aired. I watched him in a regular role as Ficus (a sort of Spock-type character) in the futuristic space comedy series, Quark. In a two-part story, he is lusted after by the Princess Libido (Joan Van Ark).
    E643E608-FBC1-470A-A837-84D8A5496E09.jpeg
    8587A3D5-2CFF-4A56-B6EB-0FCE8CB1CBF2.jpeg
    1F93CA50-D89D-45FE-AB7B-9D260E1F8EA3.jpeg
    C7FFA790-31B9-478E-86CA-F96E17DEEC44.jpeg
    0B92365F-D0F3-4DF8-92E5-55F06D0C0EDC.jpeg
    CFBCBA3D-CE14-4E78-AB65-488F93F1D1F2.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,107
    Medals:
    And I'm sure he banged on about it during that dinner with the Ewings.

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,140
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,140
    Joan’s daughter Lucy was sure into him as well

15. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,229
    Medals:
    Quark: All The Emperor’s Quasi Norms parts 1 & 2. Starring Richard Benjamin. Also starring Timothy Thomerson, Richard Kelton, Tricia & Cyb Barnstable and Conrad Janis. Special Guest Star Joan Van Ark as Princess Libido. Special Guest Appearance by Ross Martin

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  16. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,140
    that show’s actually pretty amusing in a goofy way. Things get pretty hot and heavy Guzzler and Valene, who it turns out is quite a musician - a bit in the vein of a Sun Ra.

Kelton is ever-so-sightly less effusive as Ficus than as the Guzzler, but still quite charismatic. A fun little watch!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 1