Watching Dynasty for the first time

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Herofan, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I didn’t watch Dynasty during it’s original airing. I was only 13 when it began airing, and at the time, I didn’t consider the nighttime soaps my cup of tea. I was more into the action shows of the time and things like Happy Days. I did, however, become a fan of Dallas, but not until I was compelled to check it out due to the “Who shot J.R.” hysteria. After that, I was hooked, but it didn’t persuade me to check out any of the other night-time soaps.

Due to streaming these days and access to practically every show ever made, I have decided to give Dynasty a look. I am currently in the first few episodes of season three, and my observations are as follows:

I can say that I am enjoying it to an extent; after all, I’m still watching; I can’t help but compare it to Dallas. After all, Dynasty and Dallas were compared heavily in their heyday; Dynasty and Dallas were the big rival series. With that said, it just doesn’t seem to capture my interest and draw me in like Dallas did. It just seems like there isn’t as much going on, and some of it seems a little cheesy. I thought the fight between Alexis and Crystal in Alexis’s house with feathers flying everywhere and them rolling and throwing each other around was over the top. If my memory serves me correctly, I recall a fight between Alexis and Crystal by the pool being a big deal in a later season; I recall that from the commercials and talk back in those days. Was it really more dramatic than the one from season two? I also thought Alexis living in the Art studio on Carrington property was a little much; it just seemed too handy for Alexis to be around. I always thought Alexis was an extremely powerful, J.R.-type woman; does that come later? There are always little comments or events that I find myself thinking, “that was corny.”

The pace seems a bit fast too. Sammy Jo appears, and the next thing you know, she’s married to a Carrington, and the next thing I know, she wants a divorce and is gone. It seemed like Fallon was pregnant in one episode and giving birth in the next. Perhaps that is in part due to being able to watch episodes back-to-back instead of having to wait a week.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that the Carrington’s don’t seem to have the pull around town like the Ewings did. Sometimes, it seems like the average person doesn’t even know them. If they have interaction with doctors or the police, it’s like their name really doesn’t mean anything. Blake doesn’t just waltz in and get something done riding on his name. But again, that’s just a contrast to Dallas.

So, for those who are huge Dynasty fans, do you feel it’s failure to totally capture my interest is partly due to not seeing it during the time period when it came out when it was culturally relevant, or does it get better with future seasons? Perhaps it is difficult watching it for the first time so many years later to feel it’s true glory. With few exceptions, I guess any show from the 70s and 80s would seem cheesy unless one loved it during it’s first run. If I saw Dallas for the first time now, I might think the “Who shot J.R.” thing was corny. I might think, “Really? that’s what all the fuss was about!”

I know the ratings got better after season 2, and that Dynasty eventually went to #1, but I have read on the internet where some feel season 2 was the best. With me feeling the way I do now, will the future seasons wow me more, or is season 2 Dynasty at it’s best?

I know these comments may seem negative, but I certainly don’t mean it to be a bashing. I’m too old to care or contribute to a Dynasty vs Dallas war; these are just my observations. Perhaps someone can give me some hope for future seasons.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,018
    Medals:
    It just gets worse. Seasons 1, 2 and 9 are arguably the most legit. Seasons 3 thru 8 becomes much, much more of what you describe. But keep watching so you can judge this for yourself. And we have many threads here about what happened to DYNASTY, and why.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +591
    I'd say keep giving it a chance at least into season 3. I'd say the same to anyone starting Dallas. The early seasons of both shows don't hold my attention like the mid seasons do. I wouldn't discount that perhaps Dynasty just isn't for you either. The two shows are able to be compared but they also have a world of differences which wouldn't fit in the other show if swapped, e.g. when Dallas went all Angelica Nero and the ladies were dressed totally OTT. Dallas is perhaps the more "serious" of the two, but Dynasty is more dramatic and visually entertaining. They're different. I'd give Dynasty a chance before giving up though, the whole feel of the show changes from season 1 & 2 to 3, just like Dallas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,916
    Medals:
    Well all I can say is keep watching. Maybe have some sugary snacks during season 4. It's kinda boring, but season 5 has to be seen to be believed, season 6 is just unbelievable in many ways. Season 7 is the WTF season and season 8 is, well? I don't know what that was, I don't remember. Season 9 is bit Dallas-y I guess, due to Paulsen.
    I love season 3 though!

Alexis remains the most entertaining thing about the show until the end.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,986
    Medals:
    Boy, do we ever. :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +802
    OT: one of those exceptions (at least for me) has been The Streets of San Francisco; I never saw that 1972-77 ABC police/detective series (w/the late Karl Malden as Lt. Mike Stone; Michael Douglas as his longer-serving partner Insp. Steve Keller; and the late Richard Hatch as his fifth-and-final-season partner, Insp. Dan Robbins) when it was on ABC in its original run (being as I was born in 1981). I got CBS' all-in-one DVD last year, and finished it, and IMO, it was well worth every penny I paid for it; Karl Malden (as Lt. Mike Stone) was the main reason why.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I agree that the two can be compared, but yet there are also a world of differences. They are the same in a sense that it's about a rich family in the oil business, but the shows have a different feel. I'm sure Dynasty wasn't intended to be a carbon copy of Dallas. It was apparent that the producers of Dynasty decided to take the "rich" concept farther than Dallas. Perhaps that is another reason I could relate more to Dallas. Since I'm not rich, I guess I could relate to some of the "good 'ol boy" characters on Dallas a little easier, and it seems like every character on Dallas had their own little sub-plot going. There were also a lot of minor characters on Dallas too, like the cartel, that added a little seasoning and variety to the shows. I always liked Jock's friend, Punk Anderson.

I don't know how the Ewing's and Carrington's bank accounts compared, but the Carringtons certainly had bigger stuff; the house was probably twice as big as the Southfork house. The help staff was certainly bigger. Blake's office was bigger and fancier, and he had a private jet. I notice that I don't relate to the Carrington Mansion like I did the Southfork house. Sometimes a series can have a "thing" that is just as much a character in the series as the people; I felt that way about the Southfork house, but not the Carrington house. I guess when Dallas started, the size of the house and all was "good enough" for the time, and then it would have seemed too obvious to try to up their "stuff" just to keep up with Dynasty. I do seem to recall, however, Blake having trouble raising $9 million dollars; I don't think the Ewings would have had trouble raising $9 million.

As you also mentioned, I think Dallas was the more serious of the two. I plan to continue watching.

I have a question. Was Sammy Jo not a main character for the entire series? I was under the impression she was, but she has already left the show in season two. I know that Heather Locklear was also on T.J. Hooker at the time. I assumed she did both shows at once.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,063
    Medals:
    She's on and off every now and then until she finally stays for good from late season 5 on.

9. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,393
    Medals:
    Maybe it's more enjoyable to watch it as another soap opera, rather than another Dallas. I found that all the soaps (including the short-lived ones) had their own unique atmosphere and qualities.
    Incidentally, what did you think of season 1?
    Well there was Joanna Sills and she was an out-and-out DALLAS girl.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,916
    Medals:
    Something about the tighter structure of the plot and maybe even filming style reminded me of good Dallas too.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,393
    Medals:
    But Dallas wasn't always as juicy as Dynasty.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,916
    Medals:
    Well maybe not, however it was usually much more tightly plotted and well written. Forgetting the last few comedy years.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Probably true; i need to just watch as another soap and not another Dallas. To be honest, if I didn't do the Dallas comparison, I'm not sure it would have held my attention this long. There is the idea in my head that it was an equal to Dallas; therefore, it's worth a watch, so I keep watching. As for season one, it didn't blow me away, but it wasn't bad. It had it's good and corny moments.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,018
    Medals:
    This thread has some interesting comments:

http://soapchat.net/threads/another-look-at-season-three.4998/

15. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +46
  16. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I am currently a few episodes past Cecil Colby’s death. I must say, I am enjoying these episodes a bit more. It seems like the plot is thickening with Adam Colby showing up and Alexis coming into a meatier role.

• Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,107
    This plot will both take Dynasty to a new level and make it a ratings competitor of Dallas, and also eventually ruin it. Dynasty (which is my favorite of the 80s shows, FYI) was tragic in many ways, just none of them in front of the camera. In the case of the Alexis in charge of Colbyco arc, Shakespeare said it best:

There lives within the very flame of love
    A kind of wick or snuff that will abate it

Absolutely. And early Dallas had those stand alone episodes that were just painfully dull. Dynasty did not reach dull until season 7B.

I think people are drawn to different things with each show, although I suspect Dynasty has the unique privilege of having different crowds being drawn to different elements about different seasons. When it comes to plot and casting and ambiance, Dynasty is such a dynamo in its first two seasons, Dallas' complete series doesn't match it for me. And when it comes to discombobulated plots and ridiculous half-dropped arcs and characters, two bad episodes of Dynasty can outdo all the mediocre seasons of Dallas.

I don't know if that makes one wanna watch it or not. Frankly, if I had not watched it in its original run and got hooked on it, I don't know if I would now. I saw Dallas in the 90s for the first time in reruns, and it was not that dated. The problem with watching Dynasty's later seasons is suffering through all the cardboard settings the show pretends it is various exotic and luxurious locations. It's like when you were young and you took the washing machine box and turned it into a castle in your head, but it doesn't quite match that verisimilitude in your 7-year old brain.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,515
    Medals:
    I'm currently rewatching season 3 myself and loving it. It has a pretty good momentum, and yes, Adam and Alexis' machiavellian antics are definitely a highlight. Unfortunately early season 4 things go kinda haywire.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +591
    This is where the show got interesting for me. I slowly made my way through seasons 1 and 2 and then season 3 was when I began to watch more often and in quicker succession. I think what people (the general public) refer to decades later regarding Dynasty is what is in these middle seasons rather than the first two seasons, e.g. OTT costumes, outrageous plots, catty women etc., all of those things were in the first two seasons but it's a classier, more toned down presentation until season 3 where it goes full campy soap visually and in the way certain things are portrayed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. colbyco

colbyco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +392
    - The first year they were great together. Their scenes seemed to have some kind of incest. "Bates Motel" remembered me to Alexis and her protecting love for Adam. Her cousin Sable had this same passion for her son Miles. I think Sable would even have gone further and would have given Miles an alibi for murder if he needed ...

- The public mostly remembers Dynasty´s wild years when the fashion and storylines were very over the top (Moldavia, double Krystle ect) and I have to say I enjoy S6 the most. This was the moment when the show was on its height in story and costume.

• Like Like x 3