Watching Dynasty for the first time

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Herofan, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,986
    Medals:
    Agreed. Seasons 2, 6 and 9 are all my favorite. :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,107
    What a nice little insight about the cousins I had never considered before. I liked Alexis in S9 stating that Adam being her son was all she needed to be on his side.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I notice that season 5 is the season that went to #1 in the ratings, but I don’t see that one often listed as anyone’s favorite season. Did it just get to #1 on momentum as opposed to being the season with the most interesting storyline?

4. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,107
    There are people who like season 5, but it is not a big favourite overall. For me it is a complete takeover of the series with plots by a new head-writer (Camille Marchetta, of Dallas fame) with LOTS of new characters brought in and taking screen time from established characters: Nicki Simpson, Daniel Reece, Lady Ashley, Prince Michael and the whole Moldavia crew. Alongside there are new core characters introduced, like Blake's father and sister, but they are underutilized and their stories don't end up having the same spotlight as these other newcomers. the show also suffers from the departure of Pamela Sue Martin as Fallon. The one solid Marchetta contribution is the triangle between mother/new daughter (Amanda) and Dex which does shift the center of the show from Blake and business to Alexis and affairs. I think more and more people were sampling the show in summer reruns based on the solid first three seasons and their buzz, so that a much bigger audience was tuning in for the weekly show, plus the media was creating a hurricane of publicity because there was all this talk about the show's style (the clothes, the product lines, Collins' own ability to attract the limelight) and how it just captured the 80s zeitgeist. Of course, the very things that end up being poison for Dynasty in the end (celebrity guest stars taking over, the show taking the Royal fairy tale road) were quite a novelty at the time, so they probably also helped with the ratings. When I watched the show the first time as a teen, I was fascinated by everything Amanda (having sex with her mother's boyfriend and eventual step-father; using a prince to make him jealous; deciding to become a princess). But it certainly was not more fascinating than the first three seasons in my book.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,515
    Medals:
    One thing I will say about season 3 though, as I continue my rewatch, they get the boom in shot a lot!! :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Not that it makes any difference, but another contrast to Dallas that I find interesting is how Dynasty shows brand new characters in the opening credits. Heather Locklear came and went in the credits in the same season, and sometimes someone will appear in the credits on the very episode in which they premier. A character had to appear a few times on Dallas and be considered a major character before being in the opening credits.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,393
    Medals:
    Oddly enough they didn't do it on THE COLBYS. Maybe it's Dynasty's slow intro theme that lends itself to extended opening credits?

8. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,018
    Medals:
    You know, that's really true. Conti's themes for THE COLBYS as well as FALCON CREST (and even CAGNEY & LACEY, for that matter) are really dynamic and fast. While his theme for DYNASTY just kind of sails (in the beginning) and, later, drags. Except for the bridge, which is what nuDYNASTY uses.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,393
    Medals:
    Question: would it have been better to put all the guest star title cards after the main cast, like they did on Hotel?
    Or maybe we were not suppose to know that they were temporary characters?

10. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,018
    Medals:
    I don't know. I kind of like that they were always placed before Alexis (weren't they?) allowing Joan the tah-dah!! status as the end.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,393
    Medals:
    James Farentino got the last title card in season 2.
    But of course it made sense that Alexis (who'd become the biggest character) would bookend the opening credits, placing her opposite Blake Carrington.
    Season 1 had Bo Hopkins (not Lloyd Bochner, but Matthew was a far more interesting nemesis).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,107
    I actually liked all of his soap themes, but his theme for DYNASTY, together with the actual title, the FiLoLi mansion, and the leitmotifs created a regal atmosphere that fit season 1 perfectly. After that the show started fighting against its own projected self-image with its narrative. Falcon Crest's theme was, I thought, quite fitting because it was a more fast-paced show from the get-go (though I'd argue, often TOO fast paced). While THE COLBYS theme is amazing and would accompany great some some super-hero film or series, I didn't think it had anything to do with the sluggish plots of that show.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,018
    Medals:
    Yes, the annual updatings of DYNASTY's theme were barely detectable, but what change there was wasn't good. Someone here once described the theme as increasingly sounding like the shriek of a skinned cat.

• Funny Funny x 1