General Hospital Watching General Hospital

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by Daniel Avery, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Daniel Avery
    No Mood

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,013
    Me too! Around the time they were having that "break up/makeup" period (prior to the splitting-up) I read a blind item that there was a "popular soap pairing" that could not stand working together, and that the show was being forced to split them up to keep them from quitting. I still believe (with no real proof) that they were referring to Stafford and Howarth. The actors may not have meshed, but the characters were very well suited to one another (by design, I guess).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    I am the same. I don't really "get" Franco and Liz outside of the whole "town pariah" thing. Herbst had much better chemistry with Billy Miller, despite what JaSam loyalists may think.

3. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
  4. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Daniel Avery
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,013
    I read the same news on Daytime Confidential, where the comments section got so heated that the webmaster had to close the comments temporarily to let the arguments die down (and to delete whole sections of the commentary). I never thought RP Watkins was "all that," but he was serviceable as an actor and believable in the role. I think more people are angered by the perception that the producers are picking the wrong people to fire in service of the return of Steve Burton.

The re-directing of Dillon into a love story with Kiki--after the disastrous Lulu/Dillon/Dante/Valerie story--was an instance of making lemonade out of lemons, since both actors needed a good story and they work (and look) well together. I also liked the easy chemistry between Dillon and Ned, which ought to be natural for on-screen brothers but doesn't always come across between actors. I'm as protective of the Qs as most people are, but you can't say they are a core family any more. Tracy's departure was the end of that "old guard" of Quartermaines. Ned and Olivia are too young to be patriarch/matriarch material. (BTW: I read conflicting reports that Lisa LoCicero may or may not even be on contract any more).

I also can't find definite word, but several have also said that the actress who plays Valerie is no longer on contract, but will continue to appear occasionally. She was on so rarely that I often forgot she was in town. Seeing her interactions with Kristina yesterday reminded me that any problem with Valerie is the fault of the writers and not the actress, who is quite good.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    Yes, it seems that actors who want to be on the show are being sacrificed for someone who chose to leave in the first place...but that's just my opinion. Perhaps we are all wrong, and Steve Burton's return will be the greatest thing since sliced bread. But I'm not holding my breath.

Her appearances have been fairly limited since her maternity leave (to birth Leonardo DiCaprio) but she remains in the opening credits. And if she is on recurring, she appears more often than some of the others with the same status, with the exception of Kathleen Gati.

She was removed from the credits a long time ago, and pretty much had vanished from the canvas until we saw her perform at the Nurses Ball. Her only interactions seem to be with the annoying Aunt Stella, or Kristina, which leads me to believe she is going to turn Sapphic sooner rather than later. :cool1

7. Daniel Avery
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,013
    Stella definitely would get her groove back. [/kidding]

When Stella stumbled on Mac and Felicia and had her meltdown, a friend pointed out that Aunt Stella might be groomed to become GH's version of Aunt Liz!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    Ha! Stella wishes she was in Proctor & Gamble soap territory...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Daniel Avery
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,013
  10. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    Yeah, still not sure what's going on there. It's not like Thorne has been on the show in the past few years, and Ingo is going to be about a half foot taller than the rest of the cast. :lol:

11. Daniel Avery
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,013
    Not to mention seven years younger than Winsor Harmon. Thorne is being de-SORAS-ed!

Maybe B&B is trying to beef up its "international" factor, since it's such a hit overseas. The new Ridge is...Irish? I believe, and now Thorne's Australian. If Brooke starts speaking with a German accent, maybe we ought to be worried.

In GH news....I'm kind of underwhelmed by the re-introduction of SB's Jason, but I like that Ava is smack dab in the middle of it. If Ava is instrumental in helping get Saint Jaysus back into CarSon's open arms, then maybe they'll finally lay off her and move on.

Getting trapped in a sinister, secluded European clinic seems to be a recurring theme in Maura West's acting life...here's hoping the doctors at this clinic don't make her end up looking like a senior citizen the way she did on ATWT.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    I can't decide which current plot is worse: Spinelli's unmasking of Man Landers, or Nelle the Black Widow. The former is like nails on a chalkboard, whereas the latter falls flat because Nelle and Michael have zero chemistry. Since we know that his family hates her, there's no dramatic tension.

Nah, they would just convince OldJason to lurk outside of Ava's penthouse, or inside the Jerome Gallery, so that she might forever feel their wrath, :rolleyes:

13. Daniel Avery
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,013
    Given his motionless (and Emotionless) face, he could pretend to be a statue in her gallery, and no one would be the wiser.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    Perhaps Valentin could acquire said piece to place in the entrance hall at Wyndemere :D

15. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +630
    With the Ridge recast, they went with an actor who was 14 years younger than Ronn Moss so I'm guessing they wanted to do the same with Thorne in order to keep the ages looking right onscreen.

Casting Ingo Rademacher might be a nod to the fanbase in Australia where The Bold and the Beautiful is pretty popular. Like with Italy, I think they've travelled to Australia a few times to film special episodes because they have such a following there.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Daniel Avery
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,013
    Too bad they couldn't find a way to bring Carmen Duncan into the mix. She was really great as recast Iris on AW, a role that was pretty much impossible to recast. Maybe she's already retired from acting, though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    It's interesting to note how flat Steve Burton is in his delivery compared to Matt Cohen, like one of them is actually acting while the other is just sleepwalking through scenes...but it might explain the totally flat delivery of Kelly Monaco, too, as though she learned how to emote from her former scene partner.

18. Daniel Avery
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,013
    I used to think her plodding, quiet style was not an acting choice--but that this was just how she behaved on screen. Some actors are scared to move from their "mark" (the place the director wants them to stand for the cameras), and lord knows the show doesn't have time for re-shoots. That all went out the window during Sam's all-too-brief romance with Patrick Drake, though, because suddenly Monaco was animated, even happy on screen. Others also commented on how she suddenly had 'come alive' in that story, and the minute they decided to bring back 'Jason' (Jake Doe) she seemed to slip back into the slower mode we'd seen before. This made me decide her sleepwalking type of performing is just how Monaco chooses to play Sam, and perhaps her un-Sam-like behavior with Patrick was just Monaco enjoying having someone other than Burton or Easton to play against. Maybe she had the hots for Jason Thompson. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    Yes, I remember how much different she was during that brief story. It's actually difficult to reconcile that Sam from the usual one who is sleepily obsessed with all things Jason...:confuse:

20. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Pathetic how Steve Burton is crawling back to his former home now that the Friends of Jill phase is over at Y&R......

• Agree Agree x 2

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 5)